Nad-afd100

• Thread starter sonnyksac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gtrman

Reaction score
34 was a bit difficult to deal with at the beginning, but now i have found my settings:

Power: 6
Presence: 4
Bass: 7
Middle: 5
Treble: 4
Master: 4
Preamp: 7

Just had the AFD a few days .. i'll try these settings when I come home.
I would guess the #34 setting would have to be adjusted to whatever guitar you are using as well.
I will try to record something with the #34 using a backingtrack .. that would probably show it's true potential.

LivingTheDream

Reaction score
I got mine yesterday. I was so excited to get this amp and though I had heard tales of how bright it was and this and that I was so sure AFD mode was going to be the answer to my prayers. I've worked with the amp quite a bit, I've tried everything I can think of. I was running a Mode Four mf-350 through a double stack of mf-280a/b cabs. The AFD is brutle from a tone perspective. It has been VERY difficult for me to get a decent tone. I finally have a somewhat decent sound by using input II and selecting the effects loop maxed, nothing in the loop. I am so disappointed, the treble is just so harsh and I've worked the treble, mids and presence to find some middle ground. I was hoping to have this creamy smooth tone with my Les Paul but it has been anything but. I am wondering if some other speaker configuration would be better suited to this amp. My double stack mf-280 cabs have the custom vintage 30s and my ears are ringing and I'm just very disappointed. 34 is not even an option at a decent volume. I guess this thing might sound awesome in a huge room where you are able to let her rip but that's not why I bought the amp with the AFD attenuation. The only thing I can think is that there is something wrong with the power outlet I have it plugged into or there is an issue with the amp, which I really doubt. Of course I'll continue to try different outlets and configurations but I just don't know what to think at this point. Not sure what to make of this...I feel I must be doing something wrong because this is a Marshall for gods sake but what a brutal attack on the ears, I thought the solid state mf-350 could be harsh but I was able easily get decent tones. Obviously others are not having an issue with the amp but obviously I am...

After reading your review, it sounds like you may have received a bad unit. I say this because the overwhelming respose from AFD.com has been almost 100% positive. Many are toting it as either the best Marshall or second best Marshall they have ever owned. I hope the masses are right because I have one on order. :fingersx:

Jak0lantern01

Reaction score
Okay, read this thread and had to jump in since I just got my AFD100 yesterday. I didn't find treble to be a problem at all, quite the contrary. Quick background: I come from a Mesa Boogie background and have to learn Marshall amps since they are totally different. Just toying with this amp, I cranked the gain all the way, since I felt it was a little light in the loafers if you know what I mean. It actually fattened the sound TOO MUCH, to the point of turning the sound to mud. Is this normal on Marshalls? Turning down the gain thinned out the sound to very clean, gainy levels. I also noticed cranking the power on this amp brings it to life. I did bump up the bias 1/2 a notch to warm it up a bit, I heard these come cold-biased from the factory. Seems to be pretty good so far, I'm gonna be jamming this weekend to give it its real test in a mix.

skingy

Reaction score
After reading your review, it sounds like you may have received a bad unit. I say this because the overwhelming respose from AFD.com has been almost 100% positive. Many are toting it as either the best Marshall or second best Marshall they have ever owned. I hope the masses are right because I have one on order. :fingersx:

the masses are right. :headbanger:

i'm still constantly tweaking settings (even the volume on my guitar) but i think most people forget that this is a 'one trick pony' of sorts. it does clean up, but it wasn't made to be clean. and if you dime the gain on the afd mode, which is already the heaviest gain mode, it's going to get muddy. this amp was made to the artist's exacting standards for the tone/characteristics he wanted - and he keeps all dials around the noon/1 o'clock position. i think the speakers play a big part too - i got rid of my v30 cabs because i always thought them to be on the harsh side. i'm much happier with greenbacks, and i think they pull a lot of the 'treble' or 'harshness' out. also, i understood from the beginning that attenuating too much pulls some of the intended tone out - it does come alive much better when you don't turn the power down much and keep the master higher.

i love it more and more every time i play through it. :)

Jak0lantern01

Reaction score
Cool, just checking on the gain thing. When I dialed it back, it really came to life. My Mesa's just get very "fizzy" if I put too much gain on them, not muddy. Feels like it's back to school time for me with my new amp.

sonnyksac

Reaction score
I have to try high power and low master.

All the Marshalls I own are meant to be played loud. Too much gain, on my amps, does make them muddy.

I need to build a sound proof room.

1_guitarfreak_1

Reaction score
Hi,

I have my AFD100 for a week now and so far so good. I'm using a Gibson LP '57 VOS. #34 is more than ok, AFD mode is awesome! The problem for me is actually using the 2 modes together: my initial idea was to use #34 for rhythm and AFD for solo but when I tweak AFD-mode to my taste #34 is too bright and misses some bottom end; dialing in my preferred settings for #34 makes the AFD-mode too muddy (too much low). In both modes I get the best results by bypassing the built-in attenuator (put on max = 100 Watt) and rather turn down the master (although the amp really starts to sing somewhere around 7).

I'd rather not start screwing around with an additional EQ so I will gig with this amp in conjunction with another using the AFD100 for crunch and solo both in AFD mode and clean from another amp.

My settings on AFD-mode (input I):

10 power (when I'm home alone ;))
5.5 presence
6 bass
7 middle
5.5 treble
7 master
6 gain

The sound I'm getting out of this amp is one of the best I was able to get out of any amp I have played and it is definitely a worthy companion for my 1980 built JMP 2204 and Brunetti XL Revo II.

Although I have not yet spent enough time to fully explore the amp I can already conclude the AFD100 is an awesome tonebeast!

To all new owners, enjoy this beauty! :jam:

Cassp0nk

Reaction score
Hi,

I have my AFD100 for a week now and so far so good. I'm using a Gibson LP '57 VOS. #34 is more than ok, AFD mode is awesome! The problem for me is actually using the 2 modes together: my initial idea was to use #34 for rhythm and AFD for solo but when I tweak AFD-mode to my taste #34 is too bright and misses some bottom end; dialing in my preferred settings for #34 makes the AFD-mode too muddy (too much low). In both modes I get the best results by bypassing the built-in attenuator (put on max = 100 Watt) and rather turn down the master (although the amp really starts to sing somewhere around 7).

I'd rather not start screwing around with an additional EQ so I will gig with this amp in conjunction with another using the AFD100 for crunch and solo both in AFD mode and clean from another amp.

My settings on AFD-mode (input I):

10 power (when I'm home alone ;))
5.5 presence
6 bass
7 middle
5.5 treble
7 master
6 gain

The sound I'm getting out of this amp is one of the best I was able to get out of any amp I have played and it is definitely a worthy companion for my 1980 built JMP 2204 and Brunetti XL Revo II.

Although I have not yet spent enough time to fully explore the amp I can already conclude the AFD100 is an awesome tonebeast!

To all new owners, enjoy this beauty! :jam:

So basically you need 2? :headbanger:

roddy

Reaction score
There is no doubt this is top 1 or 2 Marshall amps I own or have owned. The tone is a thing of absolute serenity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At extremely loud volumes, there is something about it where you just cant get enough. It is never ear piercing and ear drum exploding even though it is loud. Very hard to explain but an absolute dream amp for my taste.

Gblev

Reaction score
Thanks gblev. But, thats not a Slash Goldtop necessarily. Its Custom Shop Guitar Center 1960 RI. I did recently install the Slash Alnico II pickups. The guitar had the push pull knobs that were taken out for vintage style wiring. The tobacco burst is a Slash LP.

I couldn't quite tell, but because of the tobacco burst Slash and I didn't see a pick guard and no pick up covers, I assumed that it was too. I wish mine didn't have that stupid cartoon on it, but other than that it's the best LP I've played. I'm a goldtop fan and I like those GC RI's, great looking guitar.

Gblev

Reaction score
34 was a bit difficult to deal with at the beginning, but now i have found my settings:

Power: 6
Presence: 4
Bass: 7
Middle: 5
Treble: 4
Master: 4
Preamp: 7

I appreciate you posting those, it will give me a good starting point, as I have been waiting, #34 is something I have been looking forward to.

aubreyjs

Reaction score
I did bump up the bias 1/2 a notch to warm it up a bit, I heard these come cold-biased from the factory.

I bumped up the bias as well and it really helped tremendously. Also as I continure to use the amp it really is starting to break-in and sound so much better than it did initially. I was really having trouble dialing in anything that wasn't very harsh sounding but the bias adjustment took the edge off and it's really starting to shine. #34 even sounds good. The first band rehearsal with the AFD was a very pleasant surprise. It really sounds good in the mix and was an excellent compliment to our lead players more modern sound. I am very much enjoying the amp after my "sky is falling" initial evaluation.

afd9.jpg

Jak0lantern01

Reaction score
What did you set your bias to? Just curious since we don't know what these tubes are rated at.

Latest posts