NAD: JCM900 SL-X 100w + review

• Thread starter lonewolfsx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
I've been casually looking for an SL-X of some kind of a while now and happened to spot one online at guitar center for a considerably good price. I could write a book about my negative experiences there but I also have a lot of faith in their 45 day return policy so I figured hey, I can't lose.

Anyway I'm pleased to say that I didn't lose this time.
Here she is, at the top of her new throne:
gtYnZlB.jpg

Besides the stack of Splawns, I'm also lucky enough to have a 6100LM and a JCM2000 TSL, as well as a few others - I've started selling my guitars and adding amps instead, since they all have such unique sonic qualities.

The amp arrived in a box that barely fit, tubes installed, complete with a very large dirty wad of plastic (not bubble wrap - literally trash), and I'd consider it very lucky that the amp wasn't damaged during shipping. I'm just glad they included the power cable, the last amp I got from GC had no fuses and no power cable.

About the Amp
I was pleasantly surprised to see a few things - firstly, brand new tubes all around, and the metal covers on preamp tubes, and spring retainers on the power tubes. Second, it's an early 1993 serial and is equipped for EL34's. That's awesome, I prefer the EL34 tone, though I would've been fine with 6L6's, I have a lot more EL34 types laying around for spares so that's a plus. All of the controls rotate smoothly, no missing parts, and the footswitchable volumes work too. Great.

For those not familiar, this amp is a single channel amp, with two master volumes that can be switched. It's not a separate channel, just a way to get a volume boost when performing. The layout is very similar to the JCM800 2203/2204 amps, so you get the usual presence/treble/middle/bass EQ section, and a preamp volume control. The SL-X's big addition is a "gain sensitivity" knob, that controls the two gain stages of the V2 tube. This means the SL-X in theory should have more gain, since it has more gain stages, than the older single channel Marshalls (this amp has 4 preamp tubes, instead of 3, so there's 5 gain stages instead of 3). The only complaint I have is it would've been cool if taking the sensitivity knob down to zero would just take V2 out of the circuit, and have the amp run V1 -> V3 -> V4 -> output, like a 3-tube JCM800. Instead, if you turn sensitivity to zero, it kills the preamp signal at V2 so the amp goes quiet. It would've been cool to have both the 800 type circuit in the amp and the ability to add on an extra tube gain stage when you wanted, instead those two gain stages are always on to some degree so this amp will never exactly nail a 3-gain stage 800 type sound, though you can get it pretty close it's not quite the same.

The Tone
The setup: I play at home exclusively, in a room above the garage so I do get the volume up a decent amount but not stadium volumes or anything. Since I don't play out, I've reconfigured my 4x12 to have four separate speaker jacks, so I can run each speaker individually or in a pair - effectively like an oversized 2x12. At the moment, the cab has installed: 2010 Chinese G12T-75, 1995 UK G12 Vintage 30, 80s UK G12-H100, and a 2018 G12M-65.
I'm playing 70s-80s music from new wave all the way up to hair metal roughly 80% of the time.
I sometimes use a Tubescreamer as a boost in front for solos or heavier styles.

The tone is thick, and has excellent brightness so I can get those great marshall "squeaks" when driven. The bass is round as well, so there isn't a lot of EQing going on to keep it tight - and that's a big plus when it comes to dynamics. After a few days of playing, I've narrowed down my favorite setting to be - preamp maxed, and sensitivity between the 17 and 18 mark. That's a lot of gain, but like I mentioned, the dynamics are superb - I can roll the volume down in varying degrees and cover an incredibly amount of ground here. This is one of the few amps I have that really excels through the G12T75 - that speaker is more scooped than the others and sometimes can make things get too thin. This amp on the other hand sounds fantastic through it, the classic Marshall roar. I also love it through the G12H100, the V30 is average but requires a little coaxing with the treble control, the G12M65 feels a little too bright to me but that speaker seems to have an upper mid spike that makes it very temperamental, with any amp, not just this one.

I can say how the tone is thick, bright, dynamic whatever all day, but it doesn't mean much without clips or comparison. I do have plans to make a video with some comparison clips but that's not ready yet, so I'll just mention a few things I'm noticing right off the bat.

Maybe it's because my 6100LM is a 6L6 model, but the CH2 900 Mode and CH3 on that amp sound nothing like this SL-X at all. I've never had any of the other JCM900 variations so maybe those are closer, but the 6100 is definitely more scooped in the midrange, and bassier. CH3 also has a LOT more gain on tap than the SL-X which surprised me, I was expecting the SL-X to be near the top in terms of amount of gain but it really isn't, feels pretty close to a JCM800 2205 I used to have, maybe a smidge more.

It's also less bright than a 2204 I've had a good amount of seat time with. The 2204 of course had less gain but had to be way louder to thicken up to the same level.

Compared to the TSL it's like a totally different animal. The TSL has more gain on the lead channel and has the same relatively scooped midrange compared to the SL-X, but not as scooped as the 6100 I feel. The TSL also seems to have more "edge," as in it feels like it has more gain in the upper midrange area and less in the lower frequencies. That's the kind of thing that makes the TSL really great for just slamming power chords, like for punk rock, but does make it a little less able to pull off those thicker 80s style tones than the SL-X can.

When I have the time to do the comparison video, I'll find a way to post it here. But at the moment, I really expect this to be one of the best sounding ones in my collection. It may be the honeymoon stage but I picked up a 2006 Splawn QR only a few days before I got the SL-X, and I've barely played it even though I initially thought it was amazing.

Thanks for reading.

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
Man, I must have had a very bad SL-X because I hated it. I loved my 2203 and TSL100, by the way..

I think I may have gotten lucky. Early model, EL34's, and in really supreme shape. There isn't even any rust on the transformers and such. Probably sat in somebody's studio for years, got recapped, no idea why they'd trade it in. But I'm also much more impressed than I thought I'd be based on their reputation.

I am still in the honeymoon phase so I am loving it more than normal. We'll have to see after a few months if I still love it. Hopefully I'll have time to do those clips this weekend and I'll update this thread. Even if I don't have time to make a video I can at least throw the audio files on here for comparison's sake. I wish I still had access to that 2204 but my buddy sold it off a few years back, that'd be a great comparison...

MarshallGuySC

Reaction score
A well maintained SL-X is a great amp. I've owned 2 of them, albeit years ago....damn, I wish I had never sold them.
I currently have a 50w MKIII (2500) which I just had all the caps & electrolytics replaced and holy hell, she sounds totally bitchin after that service!
Looking forward to your clips & congrats!

Buzzard

Reaction score
I have the same yr and tubes as yours. It’s a fire breather . It almost has a Thick rich Marshall meets Mesa character or maybe voxish. To me anyway the way I had it set. Like to know your feelings.

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
A well maintained SL-X is a great amp. I've owned 2 of them, albeit years ago....damn, I wish I had never sold them.
I currently have a 50w MKIII (2500) which I just had all the caps & electrolytics replaced and holy hell, she sounds totally bitchin after that service!
Looking forward to your clips & congrats!
I have a 2500 and always wondered if it would benefit from a cap change. They look fine and the amp sounds as it should so I never bother.

malice95

Reaction score
Got an SLX myself today via UPS from Guitar center. Seems you got the good one. The one I got (also EL34s) lets out this horrible wail when the gain is above 3 with the volume cranked (and no guitar plugged in). It wasnt feedback.. I know feedback. This was a dying wilder beast sound. Just returned it a few minutes ago:( Happy you love yours! I'll find a decent one one of these days.

mrp

Reaction score
Was it an SL-X or an MKIII that Munky used on Life Is Peachy? He only mentioned a 900.

MarshallGuySC

Reaction score
I have a 2500 and always wondered if it would benefit from a cap change. They look fine and the amp sounds as it should so I never bother.
I hear you...I was just doing it as preventative maintenance but I did notice that the low end was sounding just a little fuzzy. Knowing it still had the original caps, I called my tech who has done stellar work for me on so many amps over the years. He said if the original caps are that old, surely they are getting dried out inside. I ordered the high-end kit and once he was inside, he also recommended replacing a few (if not nearly all) the electrolytics while he was under the hood...it totally didn't add much to the price of service...these parts are cheap. It just took a little while longer to perform the entire service. He also found that my presence pot was shot, so he replaced that...and one of the other little doo-dads inside was crushed...he said he wasn't sure how that could've happened, but maybe if/when a previous owner had the chassis out and mistakenly crushed something w/pliers when he didn't notice...I totally forget which part it was, but I'm sure it's on the service slip if I ever wanted to dig it out.
One I got it back, I was actually pretty amazed at the difference.

Neptical

Reaction score
Congrats, she's a beaut! Definitely bucket list amp for me as well! I'm actually scoping out a 2205 now and curious on your thoughts verses the SL-X.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
IMO, the SL-X is a great amp for modding. It already has more than enough gain stages to compete with a heavily modded JCM800 (one with added gain stages...). A good place to start (IMO) is increasing the value of the negative feedback resistor (less negative feedback).

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
Congrats! :h5:

The SL-X is on my Bucket List also. :hmm:

FWIW! I have no faith in GC at all. :erk:

Lance, I just remembered where I saw your name - we had a really long chat on Reverb about my TSL, back when I was thinking of selling it off. I'm glad I decided to keep it!

Got an SLX myself today via UPS from Guitar center. Seems you got the good one. The one I got (also EL34s) lets out this horrible wail when the gain is above 3 with the volume cranked (and no guitar plugged in). It wasnt feedback.. I know feedback. This was a dying wilder beast sound. Just returned it a few minutes ago:( Happy you love yours! I'll find a decent one one of these days.

I'm sorry to hear that man. If I had to guess-timate, I think roughly 40% of my GC orders have at least one thing wrong with them, either the item is damaged, wrong item pictured, damaged in shipping, missing parts, etc. so I'm sorry you were the victim of yet another GC trash transaction. I saw the one you bought too, and for that price it should've been spotless.

Screaming beast sound with the gain up, did you by any chance try different preamp tubes in there? It may not have made a big difference but that sounds like it might be the case. I bought an ENGL from GC that had this horrible "windy" noise and turns out the PI tube was totally trashed. My local GC manager luckily is a pretty good guy and hooked me up with a spare tube to try which fixed it. I've also had them reimburse me/partial refund for stuff, like one amp they forgot the footswitch, so instead of shipping it (they couldn't find it) they just refunded me 150 bucks so I could buy one on my own.

Some GC's are worse than others, the one I got the Splawn from missing fuses and power cable, and damaged in shipping, the guy there was basically like "that sucks man, I guess return it then." Luckily my local GC manager saved the day and refunded me the amount of a new head shell and hooked me up with a new power cable. Poor guy is probably tired of me coming in with broken shit and receipts.

Congrats, she's a beaut! Definitely bucket list amp for me as well! I'm actually scoping out a 2205 now and curious on your thoughts verses the SL-X.

Well here's the story: in a Sam Ash, ~2012, I played a 1989 JCM800 2205 and thought it was just about the best amp ever to come out and obsessed over getting one. I didn't fully understand the circuit changes that they went through or exactly what to look for. Eventually I ended up with a 1984 model that was sitting in a tiny music shop, that was literally overflowing (amps and guitars stacked on each other almost falling out of the doors) in a small town in Florida. I played it in the shop and wasn't in love, but the guy wouldn't let me turn it up and honestly if I had it probably would've caused a mini avalanche of old guitars sliding around inside the building. Once I got it home, I fussed with it, struggled to get the sound and gain I wanted, and really just couldn't get along with it. This was before I had the technical ability to self-repair amps, or the tone knowledge to get better tones at lower volumes. It probably needed a full cap job and solder touch up, but it was functional and cosmetically looked almost brand new, so I put it up for sale and I just broke even on it. At the time it was only my second tube amp, behind the TSL100 which was my first (got that in 2011, used modelers before that).

With that context in mind, I really can't compare accurately. I still *think* I remember the sound of that 1989 model and I would absolutely buy one again if I could find it for a good price. When I listen to clips of them on youtube, I do think it sounds pretty similar to this SL-X, but I know the 2205/2210's had diodes so I don't know how similar they actually sound. Since the last time I really got to play a good condition 2205 was the better part of a decade ago, plus all of the changes/refinement of my ear for what I want in guitar tone that has come during that time... clearly I just need to make that the next amp in my collection. My only advice is that I do think it's worth hunting down a later model, unless you find an early one that is in just superb electrical condition.

What to sell to make room for it though... that's the tough question.

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
IMO, the SL-X is a great amp for modding. It already has more than enough gain stages to compete with a heavily modded JCM800 (one with added gain stages...). A good place to start (IMO) is increasing the value of the negative feedback resistor (less negative feedback).

Count me interested. Later this weekend I'll crack her open and look at the inside, but my guess is the board is pretty simple in here. I know these are "high gain" marshalls but honestly I think it could do with a smidge more oomph in that area.

Although that 2006 Splawn I got just before the SL-X does satisfy my modded 800 needs pretty well. What's interesting is the 2008 and 2018 versions I have do not sound nearly as good. The 08 is too polite, chopped treble and less gain, and the 18 is way too bassy and lacks high mid definition, so with the gain up you get this weird rasp in the mix trying to make up for the lack of mids by turning them up, so the result is you have this wide bass and pretty thin tone. I'm not ragging on them, they are great for their own thing just not the "classic rock" thing, in my opinion of course.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Count me interested. Later this weekend I'll crack her open and look at the inside, but my guess is the board is pretty simple in here. I know these are "high gain" marshalls but honestly I think it could do with a smidge more oomph in that area.

Although that 2006 Splawn I got just before the SL-X does satisfy my modded 800 needs pretty well. What's interesting is the 2008 and 2018 versions I have do not sound nearly as good. The 08 is too polite, chopped treble and less gain, and the 18 is way too bassy and lacks high mid definition, so with the gain up you get this weird rasp in the mix trying to make up for the lack of mids by turning them up, so the result is you have this wide bass and pretty thin tone. I'm not ragging on them, they are great for their own thing just not the "classic rock" thing, in my opinion of course.
I can relate. Had a Quickrod for years, great sounding amp, but had it's own thing going on. I thought it sounded closer to a Jubilee than an 800, a bit dark with thick lower mids.

Last edited:

Latest posts