NAD - JVM410HJS Satriani

• Thread starter jimmyo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyo

Reaction score
Picked up this little beauty on Craigslist last night.

D5A1CF41-9252-4273-A0EC-1AB52B6D465C.jpeg

Drove over 2 hours across LA in rush hour traffic, but definitely worth it, and got a great deal based on how much they are going for these days. Really nice seller, he had bought it new and just used it about the house, mint condition with all accessories and manuals etc.

I have a regular JVM 410H and it’s been my main gigging amp for a while now. I use an ECC823 to tame OD1 and OD2 and use a Strymon Dig in kill dry mode in the parallel loop and found at +4db it all works seamlessly with no volume drops etc. It’s a great amp but always looked at the Satriani as taking the design to the next logical evolution with some fine tuning that I really wanted - dual OD1 channels, revoiced Crunch, 6100 clean channel, noise gate and serial fx loop instead of parallel.

First impressions are really positive. I really like the regular 410h but the way the Satriani version is revoiced is soooo good. I love the tones, really nice high gain lead tones, crunch and cleans. It’s much quieter that the regular version with no squealing issues on the lead channels. Although I was able to get some really nice harmonically rich feedback at loud home volumes, it was the desirable musical sustaining kind.

Really looking forward to getting to know this one more and take her to rehearsal to get dialed in with the band.

EADGBE

Reaction score
qoffA2t.jpg

jimmyo

Reaction score
HNAD!

I'd like to know more about how the JS is voiced differently.

Yeah, it’s still a JVM so has a wide range of tones, but compared to the standard 410H:

- clean channel based on 6100, a little smoother to me though lots of clarity, great with delay and chorus. Clean Orange and red a little more gain but cleaner than the standard 410h clean orange and red. Volumes more balanced between modes. The standard 410H clean green is great too, just a different flavor.

- Crunch, a little more gain in each mode. I prefer the crunch tones on the HJS compared to the standard 410H . Amber is classic cranked JCM800 and red takes things ‘over the cliff’ but still plenty definition and not too compressed. Great rock tones.

- OD1 and OD2 channels are identical. A little more open, less compressed and more punchy than the standard 410H. Much less noise and no squealing. Less gain, but still plenty of gain on tap. Allows you to run the gain higher up on the dial on amber and red modes.

- On all channels there is a smoother step up in gain and levels between green, amber and red modes. Also less noise even with the noise gate disengaged.

mark123

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s still a JVM so has a wide range of tones, but compared to the standard 410H:

- clean channel based on 6100, a little smoother to me though lots of clarity, great with delay and chorus. Clean Orange and red a little more gain but cleaner than the standard 410h clean orange and red. Volumes more balanced between modes. The standard 410H clean green is great too, just a different flavor.

- Crunch, a little more gain in each mode. I prefer the crunch tones on the HJS compared to the standard 410H . Amber is classic cranked JCM800 and red takes things ‘over the cliff’ but still plenty definition and not too compressed. Great rock tones.

- OD1 and OD2 channels are identical. A little more open, less compressed and more punchy than the standard 410H. Much less noise and no squealing. Less gain, but still plenty of gain on tap. Allows you to run the gain higher up on the dial on amber and red modes.

- On all channels there is a smoother step up in gain and levels between green, amber and red modes. Also less noise even with the noise gate disengaged.
Wow! Thanks. That's pretty comprehensive.

jimmyo

Reaction score
Ok, also nerdy fact. This is the second Marshall I have where the cab was finished by D. Murphy
Here’s to you Dave/Doris/Dougal :cheers:

…….am I the only one who tries to guess first names for the folks printed on corner labels of Marshall’s ?

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Picked up this little beauty on Craigslist last night.

View attachment 113718

Drove over 2 hours across LA in rush hour traffic, but definitely worth it, and got a great deal based on how much they are going for these days. Really nice seller, he had bought it new and just used it about the house, mint condition with all accessories and manuals etc.

I have a regular JVM 410H and it’s been my main gigging amp for a while now. I use an ECC823 to tame OD1 and OD2 and use a Strymon Dig in kill dry mode in the parallel loop and found at +4db it all works seamlessly with no volume drops etc. It’s a great amp but always looked at the Satriani as taking the design to the next logical evolution with some fine tuning that I really wanted - dual OD1 channels, revoiced Crunch, 6100 clean channel, noise gate and serial fx loop instead of parallel.

First impressions are really positive. I really like the regular 410h but the way the Satriani version is revoiced is soooo good. I love the tones, really nice high gain lead tones, crunch and cleans. It’s much quieter that the regular version with no squealing issues on the lead channels. Although I was able to get some really nice harmonically rich feedback at loud home volumes, it was the desirable musical sustaining kind.

Really looking forward to getting to know this one more and take her to rehearsal to get dialed in with the band.
They stand out and mix together with a band beautifully. It's a wonder...fixes all the ills of the standard. I have 2!!!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Bit of an old thread, but I'll reflect. Had both the 410H and 410HJS. My perfect JVM would be the 410HJS with the 410H Clean channel, loop, and OD1/OD2 voicing. The things I liked better with the HJS were the looks, the noise gates, faster switching, and new Crunch channel.

What?

Reaction score
Joe Satriani's requests for the JS version say two things to me. The onboard digital reverb blows (I agree). Without noise gates, the amp is noisy.

Latest posts