NAD - Lead 12

• Thread starter BlueX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlueX

Reaction score
I see a lot of love for these small Marshalls, so when one popped for about half the usual price I though I would try it out. Reported issues were noisy pots, and that speaker didn't sound unless something was plugged into the output jack.

Marshall Lead 12, model 5005, one output jack, Celestion G10D-25, and inspection label seems to say '86. I'm not up to date on the different versions, and need to study that more.

Vacuuming, wet-wiping, scraping of green paint of the High input jack, and cleaning face plate, jacks and knobs with alcohol, made it look decent. There is some white paint or glue residue on the tolex, but I don't mind traces of use (as long as it's clean). Replaced the screws for the back panels. They were completely worn out, although I cannot see that any work has been done on the amp.

Inside of chassis is very clean, but there is a loose rubber band. Anyone knows what that's for? Manual back-up power?

Tone pot's noisy when turned (will try contact spray), but Gain and Volume are silent. The problem with the output jack is intermittent. There can be sound through the speaker without anything plugged into output, but not always. Maybe contact spray on the switching function can solve that. Except for that, the amp works as it should and I like the sound.

L12-1.jpgL12-2.jpgL12-3.jpgL12-4.jpgL12-5.jpgL12-6.jpg

BlueX

Reaction score

BlueX

Reaction score
The little stacks were cool.
There is actually a white Lead 12 stack (3005, with two cabs: one slanted and one straight) for about USD 550 on the same sales site. Seems to be a Mk II, according to @fitz (one output jack). Really cute, but too much money for something that's "nice to have".

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is actually a white Lead 12 stack (3005, with two cabs: one slanted and one straight) for about USD 550 on the same sales site. Seems to be a Mk II, according to @fitz (one output jack). Really cute, but too much money for something that's "nice to have".
I think the micro stacks are all the same (combined HP/LO jack).
I never had a Lead 12 combo or mini.

The Lead 15 (G15MS) I had was awesome with a pair of G10M-30's - combo version is the G15RCD and can usually be had on the cheap because no one seems to know what it is.

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of love for these small Marshalls, so when one popped for about half the usual price I though I would try it out. Reported issues were noisy pots, and that speaker didn't sound unless something was plugged into the output jack.

Marshall Lead 12, model 5005, one output jack, Celestion G10D-25, and inspection label seems to say '86. I'm not up to date on the different versions, and need to study that more.

Vacuuming, wet-wiping, scraping of green paint of the High input jack, and cleaning face plate, jacks and knobs with alcohol, made it look decent. There is some white paint or glue residue on the tolex, but I don't mind traces of use (as long as it's clean). Replaced the screws for the back panels. They were completely worn out, although I cannot see that any work has been done on the amp.

Inside of chassis is very clean, but there is a loose rubber band. Anyone knows what that's for? Manual back-up power?

Tone pot's noisy when turned (will try contact spray), but Gain and Volume are silent. The problem with the output jack is intermittent. There can be sound through the speaker without anything plugged into output, but not always. Maybe contact spray on the switching function can solve that. Except for that, the amp works as it should and I like the sound.

View attachment 133646View attachment 133647View attachment 133648View attachment 133649View attachment 133650View attachment 133651
Congratulations
HNAD
They do have quite the following.
Enjoy the amp

Kuga

Reaction score
Congrats! Nice little amp. I've had one. I bought in USA. I rewire primary wires of transformer to run 230 VCA. I replaced power fuse to use It at 230VCA. I replaced stock speaker with Celestion G10 vintage. I didn't use It. Sold It to a friend.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lead 15 (G15MS) I had was awesome with a pair of G10M-30's - combo version is the G15RCD and can usually be had on the cheap because no one seems to know what it is.
I just did a search for these on a couple platforms, and it seems the cat’s out of the bag. People are asking the same amount for these as the Lead 12. Maybe prices on these old mini stacks will continue to come down.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did a search for these on a couple platforms, and it seems the cat’s out of the bag. People are asking the same amount for these as the Lead 12. Maybe prices on these old mini stacks will continue to come down.
I see the Lead 15 often mis-labeled as an MG, it's NOT.
(Look for the 3 jacks between the power switch & reverb knob)
1689850179475.png
Here's a pic of an old Park G15RCD combo.
1689850351543.png
Same amp.
I see these combos for less than $100 frequently.
Gain1, Gain2, Treble-Contour-Bass, MV, Reverb.
Speaker jack mod & a cab w/some 12's = killer tone. :yesway:

BlueX

Reaction score
Contact cleaner, and some light lubrication, solved the noisy tone pots and the problem with the HP/LO jack (although the tip lugs look strange). Managed to clean off the white paint/glue from the tolex using alcohol, and some Cockpit Shine put new luster to the tolex. The amp looks nice now, and everything works. Sometimes some TLC goes a long way.

I like the faded grill cloth (parts that are hidden are black).

1 HP-LO jack.jpgL12-7.jpg

jmp45

Reaction score
HNAD.. My 1986 5005 had a bad TR3, intermittent noise and silence. Replaced and all good, I added an output jack for cab use. Great little amps.

front.jpg

back2.jpg