• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Nad!! Marshall Jcm2000 Tsl60

• Thread starter Yamariv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yamariv

Reaction score
So I've been trying to find my perfect gigging amp and have asked a tonne of questions on here recently to try and find my next Marshall that would kind of do it all in a gigging setting. Thanks to all who helped me, I am very happy to announce I have finally acquired the amp I needed!:fever:

I also have a DSL50 which I absolutely love, there's just something about Marshall's distortion so I needed another one to gig! :naughty::dude: The DSL50 will be staying at home in my music room paired with 212 Greenbacks and ANOS tubes and the TSL will be taken to practice and gigs with me paired with a 212 Creamback cab. I wanted to keep my rig simple, basically needed an awesome distortion with a lead boost all in the same amp as we play heavier classic rock. I'm trying to get away from having a pedal board on stage.

So yes, I've read the reviews and some people really hate the TSL60 and others love it. A local one came up for sale which interested me, it's a 2006 model so it shouldn't have the Bias issues some of the earlier ones had so the year was a big factor for me. It's in pretty nice shape with new JJ tubes within the year said the previous owner.

So I've had about 4-5 hrs of play time on it so far and think I've got it pretty much dialed in to the way I like it now.

First off, the distortion sounds very much like.. if not identical to my DSL50 when dialed in which is sweet!! It has that clear, harmonic "every note rings out" Marshall sound which I LOVE and was hoping to find in this amp! Some guys were saying that the TSL60 is voiced completely different than the DSL50 but to my ears, they are VERY similar which is perfect for me. (Full disclosure, I did slip in an ANOS Telefunken into V1 cause that's what really worked well in my DSL50)

Second, the 3 channels are friggen awesome to have all controlled by the footswitch! The clean is nice, the crunch sounds Marshall crunchy and the Distortion channel has Tonnes of gain. Maybe too much gain where it gets fizzy but turning the gain down to about 5-6 is the perfect clean clear Marshall distortion I like..

Thirdly, some guys were saying the if you ran an EQ pedal in the FX loop you couldn't boost your volume that way for some reason on the TSL60... Well maybe the later TSL60 versions were changed but running my MSR EQ as a lead volume boost in the FX loop works great!! I just leave it on and hit the FX button to get the boost! You can also adjust how loud you want the effects loop to come through on the front panel of the amp. So basically, I have a 4 channel gigging machine with the EQ Pedal in the loop! :dude: Exactly what I wanted!

Lastly, when I first plugged her in when I got her home I thought something was wrong with the volumes. My DSL50 is shaking picture frames at #4 on the Master volume but with the TSL60, I had the master at half and the Distortion channel at half and it was very quiet. I worried that something was wrong but the things sounded good which baffled me. Well, it turns out that most of the volume pot taper is past half! It just seems weird to run a Marshall Tube Amp past half on the volume and still have ear drums but when I hit 6-7 or higher the TSL really starts to liven up and shake walls! Wonder why Marshall changed the volume taper like that from the DSL50 to the TSL60? I've read some TSL's lacked over all volume..this one doesn't, it's volume is just above 6!..

Sorry for the long post, thought I'd be nice a detailed in case someone is considering a TSL60 in the near future. Here's a couple pics to prove it happened! :cheers:

Resize1 (1).jpg Resize1 (2).jpg

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've been trying to find my perfect gigging amp and have asked a tonne of questions on here recently to try and find my next Marshall that would kind of do it all in a gigging setting. Thanks to all who helped me, I am very happy to announce I have finally acquired the amp I needed!:fever:

I also have a DSL50 which I absolutely love, there's just something about Marshall's distortion so I needed another one to gig! :naughty::dude: The DSL50 will be staying at home in my music room paired with 212 Greenbacks and ANOS tubes and the TSL will be taken to practice and gigs with me paired with a 212 Creamback cab. I wanted to keep my rig simple, basically needed an awesome distortion with a lead boost all in the same amp as we play heavier classic rock. I'm trying to get away from having a pedal board on stage.

So yes, I've read the reviews and some people really hate the TSL60 and others love it. A local one came up for sale which interested me, it's a 2006 model so it shouldn't have the Bias issues some of the earlier ones had so the year was a big factor for me. It's in pretty nice shape with new JJ tubes within the year said the previous owner.

So I've had about 4-5 hrs of play time on it so far and think I've got it pretty much dialed in to the way I like it now.

First off, the distortion sounds very much like.. if not identical to my DSL50 when dialed in which is sweet!! It has that clear, harmonic "every note rings out" Marshall sound which I LOVE and was hoping to find in this amp! Some guys were saying that the TSL60 is voiced completely different than the DSL50 but to my ears, they are VERY similar which is perfect for me. (Full disclosure, I did slip in an ANOS Telefunken into V1 cause that's what really worked well in my DSL50)

Second, the 3 channels are friggen awesome to have all controlled by the footswitch! The clean is nice, the crunch sounds Marshall crunchy and the Distortion channel has Tonnes of gain. Maybe too much gain where it gets fizzy but turning the gain down to about 5-6 is the perfect clean clear Marshall distortion I like..

Thirdly, some guys were saying the if you ran an EQ pedal in the FX loop you couldn't boost your volume that way for some reason on the TSL60... Well maybe the later TSL60 versions were changed but running my MSR EQ as a lead volume boost in the FX loop works great!! I just leave it on and hit the FX button to get the boost! You can also adjust how loud you want the effects loop to come through on the front panel of the amp. So basically, I have a 4 channel gigging machine with the EQ Pedal in the loop! :dude: Exactly what I wanted!

Lastly, when I first plugged her in when I got her home I thought something was wrong with the volumes. My DSL50 is shaking picture frames at #4 on the Master volume but with the TSL60, I had the master at half and the Distortion channel at half and it was very quiet. I worried that something was wrong but the things sounded good which baffled me. Well, it turns out that most of the volume pot taper is past half! It just seems weird to run a Marshall Tube Amp past half on the volume and still have ear drums but when I hit 6-7 or higher the TSL really starts to liven up and shake walls! Wonder why Marshall changed the volume taper like that from the DSL50 to the TSL60? I've read some TSL's lacked over all volume..this one doesn't, it's volume is just above 6!..

Sorry for the long post, thought I'd be nice a detailed in case someone is considering a TSL60 in the near future. Here's a couple pics to prove it happened! :cheers:

View attachment 46159 View attachment 46160

You ever write that much again I'll bitch slap you. For fux sake this shit ain't rocket science. Drop that TSL60. I had one.

Look at the new DSL's or Origin's. Seriously.

Me? My amps do what I tell them to do. Especially this...Marshall Rips!

crossy67

Reaction score
Nice summary man I’ve never played through a tsl but it sounds like your happy, congrats. They do seem to be a much better channel switching amp than the dsl.....

MesaMan50

Reaction score
Yeah lotta guys like to rag on the TSL line. I haven't had a days trouble with my 2002 model.

I play my TSL602 master at 6-8 for best sound. Like you I ditched a pedal board as soon as I discovered the versatility of these. Although the clean channel is nice you could add a little chorus to it if ya like for ballad stuff.
Rock on!!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice summary man I’ve never played through a tsl but it sounds like your happy, congrats. They do seem to be a much better channel switching amp than the dsl.....

No. Rudimentary maybe? I love Marshall but there are better amps out of the gate. If any of you are nostalgic over this model? I want to hear why. Words mean little in our world. Play...I'll listen.

crossy67

Reaction score
No. Rudimentary maybe? I love Marshall but there are better amps out of the gate. If any of you are nostalgic over this model? I want to hear why. Words mean little in our world. Play...I'll listen.

You obviously don’t like them but plenty get great tones out of them. No need to rag on his choice. One things for sure I won’t take your word for it. The tsl is a better channel switching amp in its design but I didn’t say tone wise as Ive never played one. I have a 2k dsl and really enjoy it but it’s useless as a channel switching amp unless it’s modded.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You obviously don’t like them but plenty get great tones out of them. No need to rag on his choice. One things for sure I won’t take your word for it. The tsl is a better channel switching amp in its design but I didn’t say tone wise as Ive never played one. I have a 2k dsl and really enjoy it but it’s useless as a channel switching amp unless it’s modded.

I had a TSL 60. Piece Of Shit.

Im Completely At home with a single channel amp. I may be totaly wrong. I mean no offense. However If Im steering someone to a specific amp...it bettar deliver.

My DSL40...

crossy67

Reaction score

Im Completely At home with a single channel amp. I may be totaly wrong. I mean no offense. However If Im steering someone to a specific amp...it bettar deliver.

My DSL40...

That was your experience with it but like I said plenty get great tones out of them. I also am at home on a single channel amp but like the design of the tsl if nothing else. The op has just purchased an amp he’s really happy with, you could of congratulated him instead of trashing his choice.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was your experience with it but like I said plenty get great tones out of them. I also am at home on a single channel amp but like the design of the tsl if nothing else. The op has just purchased an amp he’s really happy with, you could of congratulated him instead of trashing his choice.

Yep. To OP...congrats on the new Marshall! Enjoy it. I have my opine but I may have been tuning it wrong. It happens.

Yamariv

Reaction score
Yeah lotta guys like to rag on the TSL line. I haven't had a days trouble with my 2002 model.

I play my TSL602 master at 6-8 for best sound. Like you I ditched a pedal board as soon as I discovered the versatility of these. Although the clean channel is nice you could add a little chorus to it if ya like for ballad stuff.
Rock on!!

Thanks, nice to hear there some TSL love out there! So your volumes have the same style taper like mine where the balls only come out past 6? Maybe that's a TSL trait :hmm:
I love how all the channels have their own volume, once those are set even with each other, then you just use the Master volume the during the gig and they all come up or down evenly with each other. :dude:

Yamariv

Reaction score
Thanks for the support Crossy!

Yamariv

Reaction score

My DSL40...

I'm not looking for a debate on which amp is better but what are the reasons you call your previous TSL60 "Piece of Sh#$"?? and label all the others with that term?

I'd like to hear what you found was wrong with yours and what it did before simply making a blanket statement like that.. Is it possible you had one that had bias issues and it sounded thin? Possible it had a bad footswitch that needed to be replaced, or you just couldn't get the sound you liked in your head?

You're going on about your DSL40, I've played them and they aren't much different sounding than my DSL 50. Also, remember what the plan is for this amp, I need to gig it and have different channel options to play live. If I were at home only, my DSL50 would be perfect for that.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new amp. I have a TSL 60 head. It had been collecting dust for a while, as I was keeping busy with my JCM 800, JVM and JCM 900. I recently plugged into the TSL, and I do get some really nice clean/edge of breakup tones with the gain at around 1 o'clock.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I too love my TSL, the 122. The 3 channels are more versatile than the 2 channel DSL. They just are. Many players get what they need from a DSL or a 2204 or some other single channel amp. Great! Others like the versatility of a footswitchable 3 channel, including me. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think it should suddenly become a debate about the 2 amps.
It's not even about a quick clip. Using it in the real world at a show using all 3 channels is where they shine. I kinda steered OP in that direction myself because I know. And it did deliver for him.
Congrats! The 122 or 100 has addition of another EQ section and gain for channel 1. Really nice! Glad you like it.

Rds

Reaction score
Congrats OP on your tsl. I own a tsl 122 with ext cab and it sounds awesome. I changed my board to the corrected latest version and have zero problems with mine. All the volume I could want and it sounds great to me. That's all that really matters. Does it sound great to you. Congrats, rock on. ️️

JimiRules

Reaction score
Congrats! I've had my TSL 60 for around 4 or 5 years. I bought it as a backup to my YJM. It hasn't had a lot of playing time, but when it does get used it sounds good.

Yamariv

Reaction score
Congrats OP on your tsl. I own a tsl 122 with ext cab and it sounds awesome. I changed my board to the corrected latest version and have zero problems with mine. All the volume I could want and it sounds great to me. That's all that really matters. Does it sound great to you. Congrats, rock on. ️️

Congrats! I've had my TSL 60 for around 4 or 5 years. I bought it as a backup to my YJM. It hasn't had a lot of playing time, but when it does get used it sounds good.

Thanks guys! I knew there had to be some love for the TSL's out there cause mine sounds great to me, probably equal to my DSL50 which is more than I expected given some of the reviews I was reading..

I'm curious where the bias on mine is set at, gonna check that in the next few days

Yamariv

Reaction score
I too love my TSL, the 122. The 3 channels are more versatile than the 2 channel DSL. They just are. Many players get what they need from a DSL or a 2204 or some other single channel amp. Great! Others like the versatility of a footswitchable 3 channel, including me. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think it should suddenly become a debate about the 2 amps.
It's not even about a quick clip. Using it in the real world at a show using all 3 channels is where they shine. I kinda steered OP in that direction myself because I know. And it did deliver for him.
Congrats! The 122 or 100 has addition of another EQ section and gain for channel 1. Really nice! Glad you like it.

Amen to the above! Thanks for all the help Jethro, super happy with the choice :dude:

Out of curiosity, which amp do you gig the most? The 410 or do you switch it up with the TSL in the mix once in a while? :hmm: