NAD Marshall JTM20H

• Thread starter hifiman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hifiman

Reaction score
Recieved my new JTM20h yesterday. So far I really like it. As I upsize in age I decided to downsize in gear. Never have owned a true vintage Marshall so I really can't compare. I used a Friedman BE50, Smallbox and a Marshall JVM410JS and all have been recenty sold. These days I just play at home and the JTM20 has plenty of volume for that. I am running it through a 2x12 loaded cabinet with Celestion Cream 90s and so far very happy with the sound. I am also using a Helix through the FX loop and it sounds great. Today I will get to spend some more time with it and do some more dialing in. I do wish Marshall could have put a small mark on the knobs so I can see my settings better however I usually dial in an amp using my ears vs eyes. Anyway very happy and I think it will be a keeper.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats man, I haven’t played one yet but all the Marshall Studio amps are stellar, so I have no doubt this one is too! Lots of guys here in their 60s that love their Marshalls, so you’re in good company.

:cheers:
Welcome to the forum,…..

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recieved my new JTM20h yesterday. So far I really like it. As I upsize in age I decided to downsize in gear. Never have owned a true vintage Marshall so I really can't compare. I used a Friedman BE50, Smallbox and a Marshall JVM410JS and all have been recenty sold. These days I just play at home and the JTM20 has plenty of volume for that. I am running it through a 2x12 loaded cabinet with Celestion Cream 90s and so far very happy with the sound. I am also using a Helix through the FX loop and it sounds great. Today I will get to spend some more time with it and do some more dialing in. I do wish Marshall could have put a small mark on the knobs so I can see my settings better however I usually dial in an amp using my ears vs eyes. Anyway very happy and I think it will be a keeper.
Congratz man! Enjoy the shit out of it!

Being curious, you don't find the Creambacks too smooth with this amp? I'm definitely a fan of the speaker. Just wondering.

Jubilant

Reaction score
Welcome@hifiman!
I was able to play one for quite awhile recently and it’s a great amp! The presence knob really works well when changing guitars from say a Fender to a Gibson.It still retains a little character from the Fender Bassman it was originally based on but with more grind and attitude.Enjoy a great amp for sure!

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Thanks. Going to have more time tomorrow. So far it sounds great. Playing Strats though. Tomorrow is crank it up day so I will update.

FIRST> :welcome: to the forum & HNAD!
NEXT> The real test will be how well it cuts through the mix when playing/jamming with others, especially bass & drums and another guitarist or keyboard!
AND> For the knob dots, at least one other member used dots of white nail polish! I have this cool stuff called "Glow-On" that comes in multiple colors and actually glows in the dark. I got it for for side fret marker dots! Works GREAT!

Again, HNAD & Enjoy!
Gene

Last edited:

hifiman

Reaction score
Congratz man! Enjoy the shit out of it!

Being curious, you don't find the Creambacks too smooth with this amp? I'm definitely a fan of the speaker. Just wondering.
Well after some time dialing in settings on both the amp and Helix it sounds great. The Cream 90s sound wide open and as usual famtastic.

hifiman

Reaction score
Spent some time dialing everything in and I think the amp sounds fantastic. Great platform for my Helix too. Still messing a little with the channel jumped blend settings but its a keeper. I like the 20w vs the 5w setting a lot better as one might figure. I also tried a Bugera PS1 Attenuator and that is going back. Talk about robbing tone! I may order a better one (or not) who knows. Anyway very pleased with the amp and its all I expected. Really plays well with my Strats. May do some tube swaps in the future but certainly no rush on that.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well after some time dialing in settings on both the amp and Helix it sounds great. The Cream 90s sound wide open and as usual famtastic.
Great to hear. I'm going to get one(Creamback 90)and for now pair it up with a Redback. So I'll be using a Fender Bassbreaker 212 cab. I already own the Gold & Blue Alnicos. Wanted to try the Creamback 90.

Anyways enjoy that JTM and thanks again for the feedback.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Spent some time dialing everything in and I think the amp sounds fantastic. Great platform for my Helix too. Still messing a little with the channel jumped blend settings but its a keeper. I like the 20w vs the 5w setting a lot better as one might figure. I also tried a Bugera PS1 Attenuator and that is going back. Talk about robbing tone! I may order a better one (or not) who knows. Anyway very pleased with the amp and its all I expected. Really plays well with my Strats. May do some tube swaps in the future but certainly no rush on that.

As for atteunators, the @JohnH M2 is a match made in heaven for the whole Studio series of amps and all other amps, up to 50 watts! It will not be "robbing tone" or otherwise compromise sound, feel and response! This unique design is simply the best of the best of all attenuators in the "less than $500" price range. That Bugera is a cruel joke, by comparison! You can either build one for $100 to $135 or have ine built (we know a guy) for you for about $280 - $300 plus shipping of about $15, depending on your location.

Here's a massive thread, but with the important build info in post #1:

Enjoy,
Gene