NAD : My first real Marshall aka another DSL40c owner

• Thread starter Joe_sun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_sun

Reaction score
After 25 of wanting a Marshall I finally got one, not quite sure why it took me so long to just go ahead and buy a real one. I've done the emulator thing, the pedal thing and the clone thing. The amp I've been playing for the last year is a hand wired JTM clone from Phaez that uses EL84s. It sounds great and gives me an amazing growl but didn't have the extra gain I've been wanting plus I wanted at least a dual channel amp.

I decided I needed more ooph and was torn between the 5150 III combo and the DSL40c. I almost bought the 5150 III on numerous occasions because it has the variable power so I can really turn it down and use it at home plus it has a much better speaker than the DSL40c does stock. The problem is it's freaking 1300.00 and the cheapest I could find it was 1100.00 for a B stock model. On top of that whenever I found a demo clip of the Marshall (with a different speaker) vs the 5150 III I PREFERED the sound of the Marshall. They are really close sounding amps but the Marshall cost less and sounded better. No brainer. It also helped that I HATE having the standby switch behind the amp.

4th of July weekend I hit up a few local music stores and demoed a bunch of amps and honestly I wasn't blown away with the DSL40c, I really liked the DSL100H and the Orange OR15 but since reverb and multi-channel were a must I passed it over, maybe next time Orange. If Orange made a multi-channel OR15 that would be been what I bought. I LOVED the DSL100H though the 1960 half stack and figured I could get the DSL40c to sound better with a speaker swap or using a cab. Turns out that thanks to this forum I found that Sweetwater sells a version with a Creamback so I called them up, said I’m about to buy a DSL40c from Musicians Friend, they have 15% off for the 4th of July what kind of deal can you give me. $620.00 shipped boom here’s my credit card.

How does it sound? Well at first I was pretty disappointed but that’s nothing new to me. I usually dislike the sound of new gear. After hooking it up to my extension cab it was more to my liking but now after 3 days of really playing it I dig it, I think the speaker breaking in helped A LOT. It doesn’t have the same growl my JTM clone has but it has that Marshall midrange sound I’ve never been able to get anywhere else. I will say this is the first amp I’ve ever owned where I don’t have the gain maxed out, heck I’m not even using lead 2 channel. Reverb isn't my favorite, it's pretty weak and sounds digital to me but I usually keep my signal pretty dry anyway so that's not a deal breaker. I'm looking at getting a sealed back 2x12 and Ill keep playing with the knobs but as of right now I'm glad I got it over the 5150.

_20150711_183609_zpsuhjuhf6y.jpg

Last edited:

ken361

Reaction score
Change the preamp tubes right away! helps pretty much! I was eyeing a 5150 50 watt also but bought the mini rec and used that for a year then 2 Fenders with pedals. I dig this amp with some tweeking it sounds good. Give it 30 hrs or so. The EVH combo was noisy as hell when I demo'd it at store volumes with lower watts.

Joe_sun

Reaction score
Change the preamp tubes right away! helps pretty much! I was eyeing a 5150 50 watt also but bought the mini rec and used that for a year then 2 Fenders with pedals. I dig this amp with some tweeking it sounds good. Give it 30 hrs or so. The EVH combo was noisy as hell when I demo'd it at store volumes with lower watts.

Thanks man, I actually ordered a few different tubes to play with, something I've never done in the past. I ordered the Tung Sol and Mullard reissue and then the TAD 7025-S. I was going to try the 7025-S in V1, put the Mullard in V4 and just leave the jjs in the rest. I also have some EH 12AX7s in my other amp I can play with as well.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Gain not maxed out on green channel? Must be up loud!! :D It really has gain to burn!! I boost the front with an OD pedal, gives even more versatility. One thing I really like about my 40C is it gets that Marshall midrange honk real easily. Rock hard!!

Havoc

Reaction score
I hated the DSL40c when I first got it, now I love it. I just wish now it were a head. Finding someone to convert it to a head might be my next endeavor.

Joe_sun

Reaction score
Gain not maxed out on green channel? Must be up loud!! :D It really has gain to burn!! I boost the front with an OD pedal, gives even more versatility. One thing I really like about my 40C is it gets that Marshall midrange honk real easily. Rock hard!!

Sorry man I meant to say not using the lead 2 BUT there's a bunch of gain on tap for the green. Is it just me or does crunchy green get you damn close to plexi tones? I freaking love it.

Couple of wish list items, wish I could go from clean to crunch to lead 1 and 2 via footswitch. Wish there wasn't a GIANT volume jump from clean to crunch but that's okay.. it's just making me roll the volume back on the guit a bit in crunch.

Finally, man I'm pulling out the early EVH playbook. It sounds like I'm getting those earlier tones without even trying.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yep, green crunch woukd get there! Not gainy enough for my particular tastes but, boy, does it punch. Excellent tone at low volumes as well. I really like the tone of this little amp, it's not difficult to get it to sound good. I have a few to pick from and it holds it's own fine!!

TheSunShinesThrough

Reaction score
Spot on as far as the reverb is concerned, but they did get a few things right with the DSL40c. You'll find that it takes distortion pedals extremely well. That amp has a lot of balls if you plug in a guitar with active pups in it. Also handles my Strat very well too, but the cleans aren't Fender good. Overall it's a very versatile amps, the cleans are okay and the dirty stuff is great. For the money it's a good amp. In order to do better you'd probably have to spend $400-$500 more on high end amp. Wondering if there is some kind of mod I can do on mine to fix the reverb though. If I could get Fender sounding reverb out of my DSL40c it would do everything I want.

ken361

Reaction score
Spot on as far as the reverb is concerned, but they did get a few things right with the DSL40c. You'll find that it takes distortion pedals extremely well. That amp has a lot of balls if you plug in a guitar with active pups in it. Also handles my Strat very well too, but the cleans aren't Fender good. Overall it's a very versatile amps, the cleans are okay and the dirty stuff is great. For the money it's a good amp. In order to do better you'd probably have to spend $400-$500 more on high end amp. Wondering if there is some kind of mod I can do on mine to fix the reverb though. If I could get Fender sounding reverb out of my DSL40c it would do everything I want.

The Boss reverb FRV pedal is pretty good I used it with my old Vox, I dont think my reverb is that bad I hear it pretty good
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/boss-frv-1-63-fender-reverb-guitar-effects-pedal

Rahlstin

Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to check the bias - too high I find sounds thin, too low sounds pretty dull. The creamback is a bit dark till it starts to loosen up a bit.