NAD: Orange Rockerverb 50 MKIII (holy s%@t!)

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm so excited! I got an Orange Rockerverb 50 MK III! I've wanted one forever, such a dream amp!

I started collecting the smaller Orange lunchbox amps a couple years ago. I really dig those small amps because they really have that true Orange tone. It's not a tone/sound that everybody can appreciate but I think once you're into it it's hard to let go :) So the Jim Root and OR15 are supposedly similar to the Rockerverb, heck, the Jim Root was marketed as basically being a mini-Rockerverb based on Jim Root's Orange. But I wanted one of the bigger Orange heads so I got the TH30H, which I really dig. It's a great amp, definitely a proper Orange. Still with EL84's in the power section but definitely powerful enough for many situations. Still I couldn't scratch that Rockerverb itch....

So I ordered one, finally and now I actually have one, which is almost hard to believe haha! It's quite a heavy amp and it's a little bigger than the TH30 surprisingly. The RV50 has a bit of a deeper chassis. I love how it looks with the hieroglyphics instead of the regular words. The old Orange logo looks cool although I personally prefer the slicker look of that modern logo, not a big deal though.

So it's a very sturdy head, it feels very well built. An interesting touch was the fact that all the controls are stepped! I thought it would make the amp less tweakable but in fact every control has plenty of steps. I think this can come in quite handy for recalling settings, which is basically why Ade included this feature.

The clean channel is very powerful with plenty of headroom but when you crank it you can get some nice overdrive. I don't know if this is pre or power amp distortion but it sounds cool! You have to crank it up very loud to get that break-up so that's when the attenuator comes in very handy! Love this feature on the amp. It's cool to be able to dial in the channel volumes and then turn them down again. Would be cool if every amp had this feature :)

The dirty channel is where the magic and mojo is at. The small Orange amps sound great but this thing really is on another level. The saturation sounds so thick, full and huge but the character of this channel still has enough midrange bite/cut. So it's not overly 'fluffy' like some of the other Orange amps. Just amazing how this sounds. Probably my dream tone right there!

The reverb is also quite nice although I don't often like to use amp reverb. It's a little subtle until you turn it up quite a bit.

Of course I had to make a little video to demonstrate some tones. I've got some high gain, crunch and clean tones here so you guys can hear how it sounds:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm so excited! I got an Orange Rockerverb 50 MK III! I've wanted one forever, such a dream amp!

I started collecting the smaller Orange lunchbox amps a couple years ago. I really dig those small amps because they really have that true Orange tone. It's not a tone/sound that everybody can appreciate but I think once you're into it it's hard to let go :) So the Jim Root and OR15 are supposedly similar to the Rockerverb, heck, the Jim Root was marketed as basically being a mini-Rockerverb based on Jim Root's Orange. But I wanted one of the bigger Orange heads so I got the TH30H, which I really dig. It's a great amp, definitely a proper Orange. Still with EL84's in the power section but definitely powerful enough for many situations. Still I couldn't scratch that Rockerverb itch....

So I ordered one, finally and now I actually have one, which is almost hard to believe haha! It's quite a heavy amp and it's a little bigger than the TH30 surprisingly. The RV50 has a bit of a deeper chassis. I love how it looks with the hieroglyphics instead of the regular words. The old Orange logo looks cool although I personally prefer the slicker look of that modern logo, not a big deal though.

So it's a very sturdy head, it feels very well built. An interesting touch was the fact that all the controls are stepped! I thought it would make the amp less tweakable but in fact every control has plenty of steps. I think this can come in quite handy for recalling settings, which is basically why Ade included this feature.

The clean channel is very powerful with plenty of headroom but when you crank it you can get some nice overdrive. I don't know if this is pre or power amp distortion but it sounds cool! You have to crank it up very loud to get that break-up so that's when the attenuator comes in very handy! Love this feature on the amp. It's cool to be able to dial in the channel volumes and then turn them down again. Would be cool if every amp had this feature :)

The dirty channel is where the magic and mojo is at. The small Orange amps sound great but this thing really is on another level. The saturation sounds so thick, full and huge but the character of this channel still has enough midrange bite/cut. So it's not overly 'fluffy' like some of the other Orange amps. Just amazing how this sounds. Probably my dream tone right there!

The reverb is also quite nice although I don't often like to use amp reverb. It's a little subtle until you turn it up quite a bit.

Of course I had to make a little video to demonstrate some tones. I've got some high gain, crunch and clean tones here so you guys can hear how it sounds:

Nice demo, I wish this amp had a gain knob in the clean channel.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always enjoy your channel videos. Well produced and you do an excellent job. Orange isn't the tone I'm after and not a fan of the appearance, but I still watch to learn and listen.

Buzzard

Reaction score
Can't get past the look.An amp needs to be easy to use on stage.Imo amp manufacturers need to consider that being on a darkened stage and not being able to see your settings is a PITA. That's my issue with my marshall 2555x and mesa stilleto facepanels. The chrome looks cool but you can't see shit.

easy

Reaction score
5GvdDw6.jpg
One of these would go nicely on that:
QqW8snF

proxy

Reaction score
Thanks for having a time to do this video.
However I must say I am disappointed.
You put a title "Orange Reckerverb"so I decided to check it out.
Your video told me everything about many things but not about an Orange amp that you highlighted.
I herd skills about compression about overdubbing about this and that ...But never about amp tone.
Your video here is about everything but amp tone and here on this forum we are all about the tone...Not the production ...
So anyways thanks again for taking time to do this but this video is not good ...
In fact it is hard to listen to it...

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I always enjoy your channel videos. Well produced and you do an excellent job. Orange isn't the tone I'm after and not a fan of the appearance, but I still watch to learn and listen.

Cheers, much appreciated!

Can't get past the look.An amp needs to be easy to use on stage.Imo amp manufacturers need to consider that being on a darkened stage and not being able to see your settings is a PITA. That's my issue with my marshall 2555x and mesa stilleto facepanels. The chrome looks cool but you can't see shit.

Do you mean that the white dots on the pots are a little small? Or do you not like the hieroglyphics?

Wenander

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Congratulations on what i thinks is an excellent amp...ever since i saw Bolingers review of it I´ve NEEDWANTED one really bad ... but I know it wont change much, It wont be such a huge deal after a few days...Ive tricked myself into gear many many many times ...... last time I did it i had a wave of the feeling "ive got more money than sense" rolling over me ... I bought my 5th amp ....

Sometimes the thought of the rockerverb 50 mkiii comes back and I think about letting my jmp 2204 go but i know i am going to regret it over and over....

Now i need to watch it again, it´s been a another year since last I think =)

Wylde Horses

Reaction score
Excellent video! I’m very happy with my Rocker 15 and a Jim Root Terror, but I love those Rockerverbs, and this video has me GAS’ing for one. I can’t get enough of that Orange low-mid growl.

Buzzard

Reaction score
I mean I appreciate differences and in a studio it doesn’t really matter but even in my guitar room the amps I have with chrome faceplates are a pita. I’ve got to keep a flashlight handy just to see the writing.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I mean I appreciate differences and in a studio it doesn’t really matter but even in my guitar room the amps I have with chrome faceplates are a pita. I’ve got to keep a flashlight handy just to see the writing.

Sure, I get that. Orange amps don't have many controls though so I'd think you could get used to it very easily.