NAD: Sold the SV20H and bought a....

• Thread starter SonVolt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got a real Plexi. Loved my SV20H so much I sold it to fund a Marshall 1987x. The cool part is, and just by random chance, I bought it from Brett Papa in Franklin Tennessee earlier this afternoon. His demo of the SV20H is the reason I bought mine in the first place and what made me decide I wanted a real full-size Plexi. So this took a weird (fateful?) turn when I decided to look for them used around town. He was such a super nice guy! And the amount of awesome gear in his home studio was mind blowing. 💥

The Friedman Plex will probably get more playtime because of the functionality/volume control, but I've always wanted at true 4-holer since I was a kid. Today was a good day.

Now about that PowerStation I just sold...

r3ukoA3.jpg

1723838219950.png

Last edited:

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
The PPIMV works to well on the Friedman I'm debating going that route and having a knob on the back (so as not to ruin the aesthetics). Also, which surprised me, the bright cap is no where NEAR as brutal as on the SV20H. Not sure if they have different values or what, but the mini was an ice-pick until you got the volume up high.

ElvisNixon

Reaction score
Congrats! I love my mid 90’s 1987 reissue. No FX loop on the early reissues like mine but I never missed it as I use an Echoplex EP-1 in front of mine.

You’re going to love it. It stacks up nicely to my ‘72 and the ‘74 with the lower B+. You should be well covered by the 1987X and the Plex. Enjoy!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Finally got a real Plexi. Loved my SV20H so much I sold it to fund a Marshall 1987x. The cool part is, and just by random chance, I bought it from Brett Papa in Franklin Tennessee earlier this afternoon. His demo of the SV20H is the reason I bought mine in the first place and what made me decide I wanted a real full-size Plexi. So this took a weird (fateful?) turn when I decided to look for them used around town. He was such a super nice guy! And the amount of awesome gear in his home studio was mind blowing. 💥

The Friedman Plex will probably get more playtime because of the functionality/volume control, but I've always wanted at true 4-holer since I was a kid. Today was a good day.

Now about that PowerStation I just sold...

r3ukoA3.jpg

View attachment 156024
Nice, and congratulations. I always like watching his youtube videos.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great score, man! The SV20 got me hooked on NMV amps. It has been an expensive journey ever since! Haha. You only live once, right? I did end up selling my SV20 once I got ahold of my 1987.

svinyard

Reaction score
Dude...nice! So cool you got it from Brett lol.

Just curious, why double up on the 50w between the Plex and the 1987x? They should be really similar right iirc?

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Dude...nice! So cool you got it from Brett lol.

Just curious, why double up on the 50w between the Plex and the 1987x? They should be really similar right iirc?

I've always wanted a real 4-hole'd Plexi since I was a kid. As for the redundancy in the 50 watters, I like the smaller form factor over the 1959x and it's more aggressive gained-out tone (the opposite of Brett and the reason he was selling it). The Friedman will get more play-time, the Marshall will get passed down to my kids.

Last edited:

Latest posts