NAD - Tweaker40

• Thread starter fitz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I went and did a local search on Reverb and this amp listing was just a few days old.
With no shipping, the price was lower than all but a beat to crap unit, and just over half of new.
I have the little Tweaker 15 & Rebel 20, but I use the tweaker more often and I've been thinking about the bigger 40w, 2 channel, so...
Picked it up after work today.
t40-01.jpgt40-02.jpg

Fairly good condition, just a little dusty.
Tung-Sol 6L6GC power tubes and a set of matching Mullard 12AX7 pre-amps
t40-03.jpg

Plopped it on the Egnater 112's and everything seems to be working.
t40-04.jpg

Cleaned it up a bit, Deoxit in all the jacks & pots, some Deoxit gold on all the tube pins.
Put the probes on and the bias seems fine.
Not sure if that's hot or cold for 6L6GC, but it's balanced and sounds fine, clean and gain cranked.
t40-05.jpg

Gut shot for ya before I slid it back in the shell.
t40-06.jpg

Back on the cabs and tested out some pedals in the loop & front end.
Not much need for dirt pedals as the two identical channels have so many different settings.
Shared tone stack that can be set to Fender/Vox/Marshall and separate volume, gain with vintage / modern switch & all the little "Tweaker" switches for each channel.
It's like having 2 of the little 15's that can be set completely differently and changed with a footswitch - plus some bigger iron.
t40-07.jpg

Probably going to be finding these little fellas a new home...
xt15-r20.jpg

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Well, I went and did a local search on Reverb and this amp listing was just a few days old.
With no shipping, the price was lower than all but a beat to crap unit, and just over half of new.
I have the little Tweaker 15 & Rebel 20, but I use the tweaker more often and I've been thinking about the bigger 40w, 2 channel, so...
Picked it up after work today.
View attachment 131193View attachment 131194

Fairly good condition, just a little dusty.
Tung-Sol 6L6GC power tubes and a set of matching Mullard 12AX7 pre-amps
View attachment 131195

Plopped it on the Egnater 112's and everything seems to be working.
View attachment 131196

Cleaned it up a bit, Deoxit in all the jacks & pots, some Deoxit gold on all the tube pins.
Put the probes on and the bias seems fine.
Not sure if that's hot or cold for 6L6GC, but it's balanced and sounds fine, clean and gain cranked.
View attachment 131197

Gut shot for ya before I slid it back in the shell.
View attachment 131198

Back on the cabs and tested out some pedals in the loop & front end.
Not much need for dirt pedals as the two identical channels have so many different settings.
Shared tone stack that can be set to Fender/Vox/Marshall and separate volume, gain with vintage / modern switch & all the little "Tweaker" switches for each channel.
It's like having 2 of the little 15's that can be set completely differently and changed with a footswitch - plus some bigger iron.
View attachment 131199

Probably going to be finding these little fellas a new home...
View attachment 131200
Egnater are a good bang for the buck amp that sound good. :yesway:

Last edited:

Mike_LA

Reaction score
Hummm, I had a tweaker15, got rid of it cuz it had the least amount of low end ballz of what I had at the time .
Enjoy

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hummm, I had a tweaker15, got rid of it cuz it had the least amount of low end ballz of what I had at the time .
Enjoy
What cab/speakers were you running the 15 through?
I have 2 Tweaker cabs with Elite50's - supposedly a 50w version of the H30 Anniversary.
Also have some other options I can try with the 40.
But yeah, the 40's got more thump...

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Congrats on the amp. I really like those Tweakers. I have a 15w and 15w combo in my basement for repair and will likely keep one of those when I’m done :)

For a 6L6GC running at 412 vdc, 70% plate dissipation is about 50ma so you’re actually running on the cool side. You can bump those up to 45ma and still be well inside the “safe” zone.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a 6L6GC running at 412 vdc, 70% plate dissipation is about 50ma so you’re actually running on the cool side. You can bump those up to 45ma and still be well inside the “safe” zone.
Thanks!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
SUPRISE!
I changed out the head grill from cane to black.
Had a scrap from one of the CODE50C's I gutted to make a pair of Origin 112 cabs.

t40-08.jpg

Really cool amp - the two identical channels can be set anywhere from the same at different volumes, to drastically different.
Lots of tone options from clean to mean, but not too many to find something quickly.
Highly recommend trying one if you have a chance...

Flanked by a couple little Marshalls in the home office.

t40-09.jpg

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
SUPRISE!
I changed out the head grill from cane to black.
Had a scrap from one of the CODE50C's I gutted to make a pair of Origin 112 cabs.

View attachment 131318

Really cool amp - the two identical channels can be set anywhere from the same at different volumes, to drastically different.
Lots of tone options from clean to mean, but not too many to find something quickly.
Highly recommend trying one if you have a chance...

Flanked by a couple little Marshalls in the home office.

View attachment 131319
:eddie: