Need help determining date: old superlead

• Thread starter Jodyzuza
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jodyzuza

Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to determine the date of mfg of my old superlead...turret looks like a '70, but I was hoping to verify it by other means, maybe the code on the pots? They may be replacements too for all I know!...also, wouldn't the front plate have "JMP" on the far left?

Pots codes:

Bass-6N3
Mid-6E2
Treble -also 6E2

Thanks for your help!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 51

neikeel

Reaction score
There is virtually nothing of the original amp left based on those pics. All the caps, resistors, pots, rear panel are replacements.

Can you show some more?

The board is the type used in 1970.

Jodyzuza

Reaction score
There is virtually nothing of the original amp left based on those pics. All the caps, resistors, pots, rear panel are replacements.

Can you show some more?

The board is the type used in 1970.

Ya I figured...here's some more pix

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 42

Marshallhead

Reaction score
Hmmm, it seems you have a late 69 or so chassis and board and everything else has been replaced. As mentioned previously, there's not much of the original amp left.

Jodyzuza

Reaction score
Hmmm, it seems you have a late 69 or so chassis and board and everything else has been replaced. As mentioned previously, there's not much of the original amp left.

What points to a late 69?...is it the front panel? Or is there a difference between a 69 to a 70 chassis?

I thought maybe a 70' because of the brown turret board? Thanks for your help!!

Jodyzuza

Reaction score
What threw me off also is that there are 6550's in it right now, so figured it was a later amp...do you think that there was a reason why maybe they switched to 6550, possibly to get a different tone?

Thanks!

Marshallhead

Reaction score
What points to a late 69?...is it the front panel? Or is there a difference between a 69 to a 70 chassis?

I thought maybe a 70' because of the brown turret board? Thanks for your help!!

Older style choke and no capacitors alongside the bias circuit.

LMP2204

Reaction score
Dude that's a rare pre production prototype blades diamond plate one off marshall killer..... looks like the guy who had it reworked told his tech, HOLD THE MUSTARD!
Somebody either wanted the tone of 6550's or the tech couldn't source el34s. after all said and done how does it really sound?

Jodyzuza

Reaction score
Dude that's a rare pre production prototype blades diamond plate one off marshall killer..... looks like the guy who had it reworked told his tech, HOLD THE MUSTARD!
Somebody either wanted the tone of 6550's or the tech couldn't source el34s. after all said and done how does it really sound?

LOL! I know, someone really overdid it on this amp, but believe it or not, it's sounds excellent!!im going to have it converted to the EL 34's pretty soon...
The guy who owned it before me was into metal so he modded it for his style of music...

Latest posts