• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Need Some Advice On Buying A Les Paul

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-how does it sound & play?

-or are you buying "sight unseen"

Paul_pedro

Reaction score
It feels awesome and i like the tone but im not an experienced guitar player, want to know if im not overpaying. It would be a first high end guitar for me so I want to be careful

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I dont know where youre from, how much is that in American dollars? If you wanna know what things cost look at finished auctions on ebay to get a feel. Or if buying new search all online stores in your country and compare prices.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in the US, I think you can pick up a Gibson Les Paul Studio for about $800.

Paul_pedro

Reaction score
This is the biggest and pretty much the only guitar store here :erk: but I fell in love with the guitar when I played it

Paul_pedro

Reaction score
Ive looked at all the second hand offers, they are either broken or epiphones. Not much of a choice, guess im sticking to this one. Thanks for the help

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont just write off an epi just because it doesnt say gibson on it. I think the epi l.p. standards can be pretty decent guitars, and pretty good bang for the buck. Ive had gibson studios before and I prefered my epi standard really. I have a Gibson l.p. tradional and its a great guitar and I love it, But I put most of the wear n tear on the epi. For the 250 -300 you can get an epi l.p. standard for you cant go wrong. Especially for a beginning player on a budget. Dont get me wrong like all models there's stinkers, but find one you like and they can be very good guitars. Just my .02..

m1989jmp

Reaction score
I wouldn't write off any brand of guitars; I've played a Stagg LP that had a much better feel to it than any Epiphone or LP Studio I've had in my hands (electronics were crap though).

Last 2015 Studio I've played was pure shit; G string kept goint out of tune for no reason and the whole guitar felt cheap.

dreyn77

Reaction score

this is some good material for education about les paul.

dreyn77

Reaction score
the 58 seems to have a powerful bass notes with the bridge pickup sound. the 57 black beauty seems to have a stinging sound to the distortion. it's unique, i think.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't write off any brand of guitars; I've played a Stagg LP that had a much better feel to it than any Epiphone or LP Studio I've had in my hands (electronics were crap though).

Last 2015 Studio I've played was pure shit; G string kept goint out of tune for no reason and the whole guitar felt cheap.
Yep , the one studio I had had the same issue with the g string. Had a super fine crack in the groove of the nut. Brand new guitar. My epis 10 times the guitar that was. My brothers got an oscar schmitt Washburn l.p. copy thats not half bad for the 200 bucks he paid for it. Electronics suck but plays good.

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
This is the biggest and pretty much the only guitar store here :erk: but I fell in love with the guitar when I played it

Answered your own question right there.

First LP, I fell in love with, I bought it. Doubt I'll ever sell it. It's my 2014 Studio Pro. I love Studios. Once I'm settled, in a new place... I'll own a couple more Studios. Really want one of the 2000s Double Cut.

As for the G tuning issue. If people would learn how to tune a Gibson, 90% of their issues would go away. I own 6 Gibsons (probably going to be 7 soon, if the Standard sticks around long enough), and not a single one has issues with tuning.

Sit the guitar flat on your lap. Grab each string at the 12th fret, and stretch. Stretch it good. Make sure, any slack between the tuning peg, and nut is non-existent. ALWAYS tune from a flat note, up. If you tune down, from being sharp... Stretch the string again. Takes about a minute.

That, right there... is why people have issues with the tuning their Gibson. Because of the angle of the headstock. It's less pronounced on an Epi, which is why it's not as common.

But, Epis are not Gibsons. Nice guitars, good luck ever seeing any return on your money. Epi LP was what I bought first, when I got back into playing. Top of their line Custom. It went back 3 days later for a Gibson Studio Pro, and haven't ever regretted it.

Last edited:

Latest posts