New Amp Day!!! 2555x is here!

• Thread starter mjb234
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mjb234

Reaction score
So I finally managed to get my hands on my 2555x head yesterday and really put the thing through it's paces.

The first thing to mention is that the amp is TRULY stunning! the silver tolex and chrome paneling just give it a great distinctive look that luckily is almost the same colour as our drummer's kit haha!

Once unboxed and hooked up to my rig (I am using a 1960a with greenbacks for the time being) I fired up the amp and started to get a feel for this new beast.

The most apparent thing upon turning it on is how much note definition there is, significantly more than my current Blackstar had, especially on the picking hand technique, every little scratch and part of your playing really comes through on this amp and just gives such a dynamic feel to everything you play.

It is also significantly lower gain than I had expected but all the better for it, cranking up the master section of the amp suits this amp VERY well and the dirty sound ended up having much more impact than my Blackstar.

The overall tone can just be described as "substantial" there is a huge weight to the voicing of the amp with huge low end (only going flubby past 9 but this was due to the greenbacks). The midrange is very articulate and present, feedback is easy to obtain and control which is an important element in my playing. The high end on the amp is just perfect, no ice pick in the ear yet still a very clear and strident tone.

Despite what I'd heard before this amp is really easy to use as a two channel amp and the switching is silent and instant.

I used my Fender custom shop '56 strat relic and Gibson les paul Traditional and no EQ changes were needed between guitars.

Pedals are also great in front of this amp (I didn't use the loop in the end).

In conclusion... GET ONE NOW

https://vine.co/v/emeIQ0uFwDD

This vine should say it all...

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Nice review, that is how I would describe my 2558 except I don't find the channel switching as useful as I go from raunch to super raunch. As a clean or cleanish platform for channel 1, it's fine, would prefer a second gain control.
They sound as you have described IMO, glad you like it!!!

dreyn77

Reaction score
sounds good! yeah they do look nice too.

interesting your comparison with the black star. ;)

wardal

Reaction score
Congrats!! Does it seem to hold up to the sound of the original silver jubilees?

PBGas

Reaction score
Many congrats! Sounds like a fantastic amp!

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Congratulations...check out the prototype 2205/2210 sometime too. Welcome to Marshalldom.

David ♫

Last edited:

mjb234

Reaction score
I found it to be spot on to an original, I've played several and they were identical!

In the end I found the best settings to be;

Presence: 4
Bass: 8
Middle: 6
Treble: 4
Output Master: 10
Lead Master: 10
Input Gain: 6

50w Mode (The full/half power switch is purely preference, I prefered the less in your face sound of half power)

shredless

Reaction score
This is just "the man" pretending to be the first jube RI owner claiming its the bees knees and that it sounds just like the original...

you guys do know that, right?

I mean the jube is about to drop any day now and they want to pump up the hype

mjb234

Reaction score
Haha! The reissues have already been shipped here in the UK!

And I'm a student/musician from Wales that put in a pre-order as soon as they were avaliable!

temporarychicken

Reaction score
It's interesting that you mention that every little scratch of the pick can be heard through the amp.

I was talking to a guy in a music shop in Chichester who used to have one of the original Jubilee amps back in the day and he said that was just the same - he called it 'unforgiving' and not an amp for beginners!