New Board - DSL 100

• Thread starter Rozman62
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rozman62

Reaction score
Finally back in business with my 1998 DSL 100. Dropped in a new board last weekend as my old one had the runaway bias issue. Bought it in 2010 and by 2016 the runaway bias was evident. The older DSL's just have that classic Marshall crunch. Somewhat close to a 2204 on the green channel with an OD up front. Made sure I traced all the connections and took pics as it's a real rats nest. Took me about 3 hours all told. Left off one of the standoffs by accident so the preamp side of the board has some flex to it. My other amps filled the void so wasn't in a hurry with this project. Played it twice and it's ripping on all cylinders. I set it for 72ma per side but after playing it for 30 min it creeps up to 75-76 which I believe to be normal. My old board the right side would be 110-120. I'm going to trim it down a bit but need to get a real small flat head so I don't mangle the cheesy little bias pots again. Keeping the back off to dissipate the heat better. Glad I didn't sell it. Can't wait to gig with it again.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Glad it's revived and ripping again.

I shaved down a wooden dowel to make a small, non conductive screwdriver for the trim pots.

If I were you I'd get the Dr Tube bias circuit for it because I've heard of replacement boards developing run away bias too.

Did you do the speaker jack ground mod already?

Rozman62

Reaction score
Heard the issue was fixed with the rev 20 boards hence I purchased it. Seen quite a bit of feedback that this rev truly fixed the issue unlike some of the down rev boards. Forgot about the ground mod. It's running a ground wire 16 to 8 jack right?

Adrian R

Reaction score
I had a 1999 DSL 100...sold it to a friend. It was the best sounding one. The 2000s I have sound good, but that 99' was extra clear.

Drifting bias probs can many times be tubes. Stick EH EL 34s...very reliable, stabil bias

Mod with a choke, call Heyboer, have them sell you the choke...and their DSL100 OT. All in all about $200....for the parts...Huge increase in performance! Totally high gain 800! PM me if need specifics. I love the 2204/03...but for gigging..my modded DSL all the way...The red OD1 channel for a lead boost is outstanding! No 800 can come close

Adrian R

Reaction score
Heard the issue was fixed with the rev 20 boards hence I purchased it. Seen quite a bit of feedback that this rev truly fixed the issue unlike some of the down rev boards. Forgot about the ground mod. It's running a ground wire 16 to 8 jack right?
Incidently, I did replace the boards in my DSLs not because it had the issue, but only out of prudence, plus I wanted new caps.

Rozman62

Reaction score
I hear ya. Not spending another dime on this thing unless I need tubes. I have enough overall amps to get me through around 15-20 gigs/year. Enough net $ to keep my GAS fueled...not talking vehicles here. Friedman amps have had my attention the last few years. Smoother than Marshalls but carry that Marshall like voicing we all come to love. Runt 20 head is likely my next amp on my porch. I play relatively small rooms so my Marshalls tend to be a bit overkill. Bigger venues = Marshall law and there isn't a substitute for the big iron in that case.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score

Yeah you have to run a jumper to connect the grounds for the output jacks. I forget which one it is, but if you use the wrong speaker jack and the switching jack doesn't work properly you can fry the output transformer. Much better, faster, and easier to do the ground mod. You should be able to find info about it here.

Sorry I'm not much help.