New Boss SDE-3

• Thread starter JSJ900
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JSJ900

Reaction score
So, an email came up this morning about a new compact Boss SDE-3.

At first, I was thinking, “anther Boss pedal I HAVE to get.”

Nope, hard pass for me. Doesn’t have a display for delay times or BPM.

Maybe I just need to keep an eye out for another DD20 and run them after a split chorus - although that takes throws compact out of the window!

Last edited:

Chase42147

Reaction score
I got the email too and was really excited, then saw it was a compact one that can't do line level... Was hoping it was closer to the DD-200 form factor

JSJ900

Reaction score
See, that was it. I want a compact format to go on my small board & don’t want/need all the DD200 - 500 or sde-3000 stuff. Oh well, you get what you pay for in $$$ and pedal board real estate.

Chase42147

Reaction score
How about a Strymon DIG? Dual delay still, with more functionality than the SDE-3, in close to the same size I think

JSJ900

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s why I want one! I just want it boss compact size, with a BMP / time in MS display and a dry through! 🤣

Maybe a button and just 2 concentric knobs, with a display like a boss RC-3 looper. And I want to save 2 presets and toggle between them with a foot switch.

….. and I want it to cost $129.00 USD

JK, I may wind up with one the way it is!

Maybe, they’ll made a Boss SDE-30.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s why I want one! I just want it boss compact size, with a BMP / time in MS display and a dry through! 🤣

Maybe a button and just 2 concentric knobs, with a display like a boss RC-3 looper. And I want to save 2 presets and toggle between them with a foot switch.
I keep telling you guys about the Zoom MS-70CDR+.
It has all that in the compact form, with metal chassis, and LCD display (bigger then the RC-5).
Full stereo IN/OUT.
There are Dual and Stereo Delays onboard (settable in Ms or BPM).
100 patch slots, with upto 6 effects per slot.
Switchable between any number of patches (e.g. all the way down to two toggled).
....And then there are 140+ other TBEs to choose from.
Even if you only use the Dual or Stereo Delay, at $149 it's still cheaper than buying an SDE-3.
An older MS-70CDR (the version I have) still has most of the + effects, and is a steal (but less flexible for switching).
I think I need to upgrade because the Mimiq (which I also have) is now on the MS-70CDR+ too.

Dual Delay.jpg
Stereo Delay.jpg
Pedal Board VS65R.jpg

Last edited:

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I found this page from Boss on the SDE-3.
It is more versatile than I thought it would be.
But you can still only use one setting at a time (without getting down on your knees to twiddle).

matttornado

Reaction score
I got the email too and was really excited, then saw it was a compact one that can't do line level... Was hoping it was closer to the DD-200 form factor
Does Boss make any compact pedals that will do line level? I'm looking for one now. The DD-3 & DM-2W does not work in my DSL40CR's effects loop. I mean, they "work" buyt sound like they're under water or something weird like that.

PelliX

Reaction score
The loop on your DSL is not line level...

My takeaway from this thread is basically; new BOSS pedal.... and I want an SDE-3000. :)

Chase42147

Reaction score
Does Boss make any compact pedals that will do line level? I'm looking for one now. The DD-3 & DM-2W does not work in my DSL40CR's effects loop. I mean, they "work" buyt sound like they're under water or something weird like that.
Not officially AFAIK. All of them say they're made for -20 dbu (instrument level) But some pedals seem to work well enough anyway. I was using a CE-2w in the loop and it sounded great for cleans, but with higher gain it sounded horrendous. I'm assuming (and might be wrong) that the signal output from the preamp on the clean channel is lower. The DD-200 isn't a whole lot bigger and has a max input level of +7 dbu

Chase42147

Reaction score
The loop on your DSL is not line level...

My takeaway from this thread is basically; new BOSS pedal.... and I want an SDE-3000. :)
Aren't the new ones? I emailed Marshall to ask a few months ago, and they said it was line, or close to line level

PelliX

Reaction score
Aren't the new ones?

I have a ~2018 DSL20(R) and that isn't line level or impedence. I'd assume they wouldn't change that in the middle of the line without some kind of notice, but we are talking about Marshall, hehe.

Chase42147

Reaction score
I have a ~2018 DSL20(R) and that isn't line level or impedence. I'd assume they wouldn't change that in the middle of the line without some kind of notice, but we are talking about Marshall, hehe.
Huh weird, maybe the guy I talked to was a new guy 😂