New Cab Day - custom made 2x10

mr_tornado_head

Reaction score
A month or so ago, I saw a 1x12 cab on the eBay for a pretty decent price. It looked new, I made a low ball offer and then it got sent to me.

When I received it I realized that the person selling it actually made it. It was very well done, all 3/4" pine, tweed with oxblood grill cloth. Light, sturdy, all around a very quality piece.

That got me to thinking. A 2x10 could be a more portable version of the 4x10 cabs that I have a love/dislike relationship with. So I asked ColShaner if there were any 2x10 cabs in the works. No, they did not, but they were willing to custom make a 2x10 for me. So we discussed dimensions, tolex and grill cloth colors, pricing, and the said "yeah, let's do it."

In the meantime I found a speaker from a Peavey Classic (for the low end and mid push) and a VT Junior (for the Celestion grind and upper end detail).

Today the cab arrived. Put it all together and Wow! With the larger than normal cab (24" x 19" x 11.25x) I get the fullness I was looking for along with the immediacy that 10s are known for. It sounds amazing and damn is it built well!

The best part is, ColShaner charged less than an empty Seismic would have sold for with better quality components.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2x12 is a hand made cab, very high quality birch ply with dovetail joints. Ordered from a guy, years ago, that makes them on order. Configurable back with 3 possible setups. It's great. Incredibly well built.