New DSL40CR or preloved 1992 JCM900 combo?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
I don't have either one, so I can't give a comparison.
Any way you can try out both?
What, where, how and when you play may be useful info for others to chime in.

Joseph McCulloch

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
I don't have either one, so I can't give a comparison.
Any way you can try out both?
What, where, how and when you play may be useful info for others to chime in.
I usually play at home or jam with others but am looking to start gigging soon. I pretty much play overdriven or distorted tones and a lot of classic metal stuff. I'm going up to where the jcm900 is in a month or two so if it's still there I should give it a try, however regarding the DSL40 I've tried it out before and it plays great in my opinion.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been playing guitar for a while now and it's time to upgrade my amp, which is currently a solid state vox. My two options at the moment are either a brand new DSL40CR or a second hand 2x12 JCM900 combo from the 90s. Which one would be a better amp to get?
:cheers:
:welcome:
To the forum
I have the older Dsl40c and they’re great amps the newer CR is better, and you will get a number of varied opinions on the 900, but both are great amps, the 212 is going to be a bit heavier in weight, if you can play both and let your ears decide.
And more gain is not always the best way to dial these babies in.
Cheers
Mitch

Joseph McCulloch

Reaction score
:cheers:
:welcome:
To the forum
I have the older Dsl40c and they’re great amps the newer CR is better, and you will get a number of varied opinions on the 900, but both are great amps, the 212 is going to be a bit heavier in weight, if you can play both and let your ears decide.
And more gain is not always the best way to dial these babies in.
Cheers
Mitch
Thanks for the advice, hopefully the 900 is still available by the time I can try it out.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome: To The Marshall Forum @Joseph McCulloch! I think it’s great that you’re upgrading to a tube amp, and an iconic Marshall tube amp to boot! Imo I think you’d be better off with the Dsl40cr, nothing really extraordinary in a 1992 900 imo.

As someone mentioned before me, the 2-12 combo is much heavier than the Dsl, and after you have lugged that 2-12 combo around for any length of time, I’m pretty sure you will regret buying it.

Another thing, I seem to recall some of these combos have had overheating issues. I’m not totally sure about what model and what year/years it was though.

Best of luck whichever one you choose.

JohnH

Reaction score
Seriously I'd go for the new dsl40cr, just because it's new and under warranty and nothing is about to wear out. I haven't played one, but its well liked.

If you want more wallop in the future, a 1x12 extension cab could be added later.

Crikey

Reaction score
Is the 900 a 50 watt or 100 watt? What model number??
My 900dr 4100 is a 100watt sledgehammer. Love it. Two channels snd versatile. Yes, combo will be heavy, but when you get your 4x12 cabinetsup was you can move some sir. add eq in the effects loop and lots of sonic options. Plus never had an issue , tubes will need to be changed. Plus the 900 was crafted in the Uk.
the 40 is a good amp.

Last edited:

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a JCM900 2x12 100 watt combo, and I love that amp. The other guitarist in my band uses the DSL40CR, and it is plenty loud for a band setting, while producing good tones at lower volume. For a first time tube amp purchase, I agree with others that the DSL is the way to go. While I've found my JCM900 to be extremely reliable, I do think having the warranty is important. Also, the DSL is more versatile in terms of tones.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've been playing guitar for a while now and it's time to upgrade my amp, which is currently a solid state vox. My two options at the moment are either a brand new DSL40CR or a second hand 2x12 JCM900 combo from the 90s. Which one would be a better amp to get?
DSL40CR for the many reasons already stated :yesway:

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I had a 50 watt 2x12 donkey's years ago. In fact I think it was my first Marshall. The guy I sold it to still has it and loves it to death. Would I go back to it from my current 40CR? Ummmm... No. But it does have a certain charm. It's like a classic car that does what it does compared to a modern car with all the convenient bells and whistles. Which do you want and which do you need?

Crikey

Reaction score
This is the best advice anybody can give @Joseph McCulloch !!! :yesway:
why? we all know that a hand build/wired amp requires some sort of maintenance. Just like a high end sports car. Except the 900 is built to be worked on. new amps not so much
I think we would be doing a dis-service to the new member by telling him Not to buy the better amp just cause it WILL need routine maintenance.
would any of our amp technicians care to jump in and add their opinions based upon 900 maintenance?
My 900 I am maybe 2nd or 3rd owner. still with original Marshall branded tubes.. and it rocks.
My advise to the OP. If you want a warranty get the newest one you can find. If you want a UK Marshall that will need some tubes, biasing and some new caps at some uknown date., get the 900.

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
Is the 900 a 50 watt or 100 watt? What model number??
My 900dr 4100 is a 100watt sledgehammer. Love it. Two channels snd versatile. Yes, combo will be heavy, but when you get your 4x12 cabinetsup was ou can move dome sir. add eq in the effects loop and lots of sonic options. Plus never had an issue , tubes will need to be changed. Plus the 900 was crafted in the Uk.
the 40 is a good amp.

What he said.

Dual Reverb, MKIII or SL-X? 50? or 100w?

I'd pick the 900 myself. IMHO JCM900's kick some serious ass.

That said, I have no experience with any DSL so YMMV.

fat_lenny

Reaction score
Personally, I’d go the 900.

I’ve had an original since ‘93 (in head form) and it’s been bullet proof. Getting a second life now through the kids band.

You won’t go wrong with a DSL, but I’d go the 900.

if warranty is an issue, go new, the DSL will be fine. But it’s not the way I’d swing.

end of the day, if you can, play both and go off your ears.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
why? we all know that a hand build/wired amp requires some sort of maintenance. Just like a high end sports car. Except the 900 is built to be worked on. new amps not so much
I think we would be doing a dis-service to the new member by telling him Not to buy the better amp just cause it WILL need routine maintenance.
would any of our amp technicians care to jump in and add their opinions based upon 900 maintenance?
My 900 I am maybe 2nd or 3rd owner. still with original Marshall branded tubes.. and it rocks.
My advise to the OP. If you want a warranty get the newest one you can find. If you want a UK Marshall that will need some tubes, biasing and some new caps at some uknown date., get the 900.
900 isn't necessarily the "better" amp. If he wants all that versatility, the 40CR has it. For some that are new to tube amps, changing the caps is actually a big deal and who knows when that might be required? My 82 4010 needs a cap job, to make it easier I asked a local tech about getting it done so I don't have to do it. He moaned about how long it would take to do therefore pricey. That might be more than a newbie to tube amps wants to deal with?

Crikey

Reaction score
900 isn't necessarily the "better" amp. If he wants all that versatility, the 40CR has it. For some that are new to tube amps, changing the caps is actually a big deal and who knows when that might be required? My 82 4010 needs a cap job, to make it easier I asked a local tech about getting it done so I don't have to do it. He moaned about how long it would take to do therefore pricey. That might be more than a newbie to tube amps wants to deal with?
as far as better amp category- resale value the 900 is better. I like the 40 don't get me wrong. The 900 is much more amp- hands down. We have no idea if the caps are "bad" on the 900. My 85 Jcm800- 37years old original caps- still going strong. My 1997 900 original caps and tubes still going strong. Would you not buy a porsche 911 just because one day it may need a new clutch?

Latest posts