• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

New Effects

• Thread starter davejackson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

davejackson

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm using a Marshall JVM 410H with the 1960A Cab. I use a Boss ME-70 multiple effects processor running through the effects loop. I don't like the sound, especially the chorus. I can't seem to get a thick stereo chorus sound and I can't seem to get a good clean tone when I switch to clean channel. The wah sounds like crap and the volume pedal doesn't work correctly. I want to upgrade my effects, any suggestions?

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm using a Marshall JVM 410H with the 1960A Cab. I use a Boss ME-70 multiple effects processor running through the effects loop. I don't like the sound, especially the chorus. I can't seem to get a thick stereo chorus sound and I can't seem to get a good clean tone when I switch to clean channel. The wah sounds like crap and the volume pedal doesn't work correctly. I want to upgrade my effects, any suggestions?
If you need a compact multi-effect processor, I’d take a look at the Line 6 HX Effects. I’ve been using individual pedals for awhile now, but I’ve had positive experiences with Line 6 stuff in the past.

jmp45

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of chorus but this is the best I've experienced. It's not leaving the board.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SCFGold--tc-electronic-scf-gold-stereo-chorus-flanger

SCFGold-large.jpg.auto.webp

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
If you like BOSS, try one of the older GT range. It'll be a cheaper experiment.

I've had the GT-8, GT-10, and now the GT-100.

Going 4-Cable Method (4CM) is the trick with multi effects.
Generally, you put ODs, Compressors, Noise Gates, etc. out front, and Time Based Effects (TBMs) like Chorus, Reverb, Delay in the effects loop.
The ME-70 has no onboard FX loop, so 4CM isn't possible.
The GTs, HX Effects, etc., do.

4CM_diagram2-1.jpg

TheKman76

Reaction score
If you don't needs/want all of the serious modelling/capture stuff like Quad Cortex et al., but you still feel like sampling some amp models plus lots of effects it's hard to go past Line 6 and Boss.

I have the GT-1000. It's a full fat unit that you're unlikely to outgrow.

ampeq

Reaction score
Like FleshOnGear said, I too would go with the Line 6 HX Effects. I have one and you just can't beat what you get for the money. You will spend more on 2 or 3 pedals than one of these, and they have hundreds of pedals in them. (+ a whole lot of extras it's nice to have.) Run it in 4 cable method and they work great. Go to Line 6 and look up the manual and check out the pedals you get in this thing. The unit itself will fit in the back of a 1-12" combo amp.

december

Reaction score
Try an analog chorus. DOD Ice Box or Jackson Audio New Wave for stereo.
I have an ME-80 and I think it sounds like absolute garbage. I tried to cheap out and go for multi-FX/modelers, but after not being satisfied with 3 of them I moved on to buying pedals and amps. So the multi-FX ended up wasting money after selling them at a loss.

TheKman76

Reaction score
I have an ME-80 and I think it sounds like absolute garbage. I tried to cheap out and go for multi-FX/modelers, but after not being satisfied with 3 of them I moved on to buying pedals and amps.

Outside of the ME-80, what were the others you didn't like?

I've seen the ME series polarise people and I believe it's much the same tech used in the Katana series, which also polarise people. To some, at least, they feel like toys, while others can make great use of them.

Genuinely curious.

december

Reaction score
Outside of the ME-80, what were the others you didn't like?

I've seen the ME series polarise people and I believe it's much the same tech used in the Katana series, which also polarise people. To some, at least, they feel like toys, while others can make great use of them.

Genuinely curious.
Hotone Ampero MP-100: sounds like plastic. Running into an amp with cab sim off, the distortion was really buzzy, like plugging a pedal straight into a mixer. So I had to keep the cab sim on, but then I had an IR going into an amp. All 70 IRs were nasally and screechy. Flanger sounds like a swirly sound added over the guitar, instead of something that grabs and shapes the guitar sound, like an analog pedal. It didn't send a mono output when using just the left output, it sent the left half of the stereo output. Great layout and interface, easy to use, but useless.
Line 6 Pod Go: couldn't even get into it to find out if it might work out for me... if it was connected to the amp and interface, there was the loudest speaker-shaking low frequency ground hum I've ever heard. Even if the interface was off. I exchanged it and they both did the same. I've had 3 other modelers connected to the same amp + interface without this problem.
ME-80: tinny, harsh, tubby... the distortions are either weak and middy or sound like ceramic in a blender. Again, same with the flanger, like a noise added over the guitar. Chorus thin and tinny. And excessive noise with any amount of gain. Useless reverb. Stereo output but no stereo FX. I'm only keeping it because I use the expression pedal 'Freeze' and 'Osc delay' FX in one song. Everything else in it is useless. Even if just the EQ is on it makes it sound like the ME-80: tinny and sorta hi-fi.
Katana 50 Mk2: the FX were actually a lot better than the ME-80, but that's not saying much. I gave up on the built-in FX and went to pedals, just using Tone Studio for the parametric EQ. Recording it with mics I just couldn't get a usable recording.
Thru all this I've learned that: digital distortion is an abomination and shouldn't exist. It's absolutely terrible. Chorus and flanger have to be analog for me. The phaser in the Kat was actually decent. I can't stand IRs or cab sims. I've tried plugins and expensive analog cab sims, too. They're all tubby/boxy with a harsh/buzzy/digital sounding high end.
I do use a digital delay pedal now, for stereo and MIDI sync and presets, all the extra control, and reverb obviously, and a couple that don't have analog options, like the Digitech FreqOut and Boss Slicer, but all the rest of my pedals are analog.
Yes, I'm picky... very particular about my sound. I've been recording speakers with mics for 20 years so I don't think anything else will ever satisfy me. Though I lost all my original gear to homelessness and was without a guitar/bass for 8 years. Being broke on SSDI disability is why I tried to start back up ampless with just a multi-FX/modeler. I actually tried to get by with just the stock amp/cab sims in Ableton Live 11 first... omg, NO. I coulda just got Standard instead of Suite if I hadn't thought I needed the sims, so that was an unnecessary extra $200. Sold the Kat & Ampero at a loss. Kept the ME-80 just for those 2 expression pedal FX. I went thru a cheap used Marshall Valvestate, then a not cheap new DSL20CR, Peavey ValveKing II 20 combo and Invective MH, before settling on the Revv G20, which, with a 10 band parametric EQ in the loop, is getting me much closer to the sound I've been seeking than any of the others. Sold the DSL20CR at a loss. Using the Valvestate and ValveKing as cabs and using the G20 as preamp and power amp 1 and Invective as power amp 2 for stereo.
I do still use a Digitech BP355 multi-FX/modeler for bass, in a Tri-Parallel Mixer, in parallel with an analog preamp and dry signal + FX. And a Blackstar bass modeling amp. I'm in an apartment and get a better sound at low volume with the digital bass amp than the analog solid state Ashdown I have. And its DI sounds much better than the Ashdown's, which is also noisy.

Ramo

Reaction score
Tc electronics dose really good pedals…..

Try Dreamscape chorus ive heard good things about it…

I use Zall Wylde chorus and it dose the job for me.

Good luck

Caffeinated

Reaction score
Roland / Boss pretty well invented and certainly defined chorus as an effect. I'm still using the same CE2 I bought in 1985.

Not familiar with the specific multi effect unit but I'd echo running it inline with the guitar and seeing before doing anything else especially spunking several hundred on a new unit.

Keysdweller

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have the Marshall JVM 410H and have recently ventured into the world of Multi-FX Modelers. After decades of just playing through amps and pedals, I bought the HeadRush MX5 and HeadRush 108 to get educated with these types of devices. I recently started experimenting with using just the FX effects on the HeadRush MX5 without using any amp or cab modeling in the rig setup. I make rigs composed of 11 different effects pedals and switch them on or off as needed. Sounds really good through my 410H in front of the amp and through the FX loop. I would guess you can do this with most FX Modelers and amps. There is still something to be said about using real pedals but for less than $400, you can experiment with many dozens of pedals and hundreds of rig setups. Just an idea that is a lot of fun to experiment with.

TheKman76

Reaction score
@december Thanks for the detailed response. Going into multi-FX at the budget end of the scale can be a gamble, no question. I've tried a few low-cost Zoom and similar units and not really enjoyed them.

GT's are perhaps a better bet than ME's, but try before buy...

I agree, and this is probably to real take away from this discussion. Invest in something you won't outgrow.

Years ago I purchased a Canon 550D DSLR. Three months later I upgraded to a 5D MkIII and spent thousands on lenses because I quickly outgrew the 550D. Come time to build a guitar rig again after a 20+ year absence, the first thing I purchased was the GT-1000, knowing full well I'd never use all the power, but I'd likely never outgrow it either. Get something with professional application in mind and it's hard to go wrong.

ampeq

Reaction score
The HX Effects is upgradable and they always add a bunch of new effects. I think all of Line 6 stuff is upgradable, and it’s free. I’ve had just about every “good” effects unit out there, and I’ve had tons of pedals as well. With today’s stuff, at least from Axe or Line 6, they are every bit as good as a pedal. There will be effects in them you won’t like but you can always find and tweak ones you will. People always forget about the little extras you get in them too, like hard and soft noise gates, tuners, the ability to turn on 2-3 effects on 1 switch, looper, the fact you have about 200 pedals with you and can set up a pedal board per set, etc., etc. Check out this new page with all the goodies in them, crazy! Of course they are not for everyone, but it’s hard to deny what you get for the price of 2 pedals.

Last edited: