New from Argentina

• Thread starter Windraiders
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Windraiders

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm Jorge from Argentina.

New to the forum though I must have broken a few etiquette rules and posted questions and answered before introducing myself.
Trying to correct that now.

Have been monitoring the forum since I found it on Google around the time I started understanding my Marshall (or started suspecting I didn't understand it before) and the forum have been a great resource on my quest

I've owned a second hand jcm900 4500 (50W) since my late teens (late 90s). And spent my whole first band tenure sounding like shit because I had no idea how to dial my amp properly and paired it with pedals that, maybe I didn't know how to dial either, or maybe don't pair up well with my Marshall, at least to my ears (Boss OD2 turbo overdrive and MT2 metal zone).

I stopped paying guitar for a few years while I was doomed by cocky wannabe lead/sole guitar players to the singer position in a few bands. After I realized some of those guys had the exact same amps as I had but sounded better (except for the performance they were putting in and some poor pairing choices), and that with very little practice I'd outplay them, I embarked on the journey back to guitar, even if my playing is just for me and my family (Got sick of band's egos and dreams of Grandeur, I'm getting old for that shit).

I still don't like the Boss stuff I've tried going to the front of my Marshall, I feel it kills the amp's dynamics, haven't tried different pedal brands either.
I, now run my guitar straight to the jcm900 (after a thorough maintenance and valve swap I should have done the moment I got the amp) and found out the fact that these beasts don't sound so good below 6 or 7 on the master volume, so very likely this forum taught me of the existence of the Marshall power brake, and since then, I got my hands on one of those and am now happily playing through it to a Yamaha 4x12 with Celestion G12 75Ts from the 90s. (Master around or over 7, with the volume tamed via the power brake to suit the occasion).

I still think it could have a little more gain but I'm now really happy with my JCM900, it doesn't sound like shit anymore.

In the gain department, instead of going for pedals I've tried different preamps and I like all of those with a strong preference for ADA MP1, bear in mind I rarely use clean on electric guitar (I like nylon string guitars for clean sound).
I have a rocktron Piranha, a Marshall jmp1, the ADA MP1 and a Mesa triaxis... All of those fry your ears going to the power amp section of the 900.
I've also tried an EQ both before the pre and in the FX loop. The jury is still out on that one. I have a lot more experimenting to do in that realm.

And I'm also behind on trying to dial in those two boss pedals in a way I don't feel it defeats the purpose of having a tube amp. Also should try different pedal makers, I'm certain there has to be better pedals than Boss ones (I need a tube screamer and a Proco rat as my first test subjects, maybe a MXR distortion and/or overdrive... I'm quite confident they will yield better results than the Boss stuff I've tried).

Anyhow. That's my history and intended future.
Btw, I'm into classic 70s hard rock and heavy metal. Also classical music.

Any pointers for advancing my classic tone search with new inexpensive gear is joyfully welcomed

Cheers
Jorge

BlueX

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your background!

Have you tried the Boss SD-1? That one's not bad with Marshalls.

Eric'45

Reaction score
:welcome: Jorge!
I know what you are describing- I also prefer the Guitar- Cable- Amp setup, without unnecessary pedals. You might like to boost your Amp with something else than a distortion Pedal. Maybe a Clean Boost or a Treble Booster is better suited to your needs. Maybe you know this already, but when using a Overdrive Pedal, most guitarists don't use the gain setting much at all. the 'traditional way', to use the Ibanez TS9, or the Boss OD- 1, (these two are the most popular choices), is by turning the gain down and use the volume and tone pots on your pedal to get more of a clean boost.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
:welcome:
To The Forum
Lots of great people here to help you in your tone quest .. as said above me an SD1 is a great clean boost (also a boss product) there are a number of us MF’rs that use it with our Marshall amps ..
please enjoy your stay.

Mitch

RCM 800

Reaction score
The difference between a SD1 and a TS9 isnt very huge. I can use either but have TS9's because thats just what I started with and always seem to fall back on. TS9's act like a mid boost EQ and tighten up lows. SD1 just tighten up lows. IMO either works fine for a Marshall and once the drums and bass kick in the difference is negligible. As said above most people set the gain low, level high and the tone in the middle for boost with an overdrive.

Windraiders

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your background!

Have you tried the Boss SD-1? That one's not bad with Marshalls.
Hey BlueX. Nope, haven't tried it. I heard a lot of people swearing on the awesomeness of the combination, but after two od/dist pedals from Boss didn't feel like buying yet another one (although that didn't stop me from getting my hands on the gx700, I'm sure the SD2 is in there somewhere, have to try), as for the stompbox itself... Maybe I'll get a loaner

:welcome: Jorge!
I know what you are describing- I also prefer the Guitar- Cable- Amp setup, without unnecessary pedals. You might like to boost your Amp with something else than a distortion Pedal. Maybe a Clean Boost or a Treble Booster is better suited to your needs. Maybe you know this already, but when using a Overdrive Pedal, most guitarists don't use the gain setting much at all. the 'traditional way', to use the Ibanez TS9, or the Boss OD- 1, (these two are the most popular choices), is by turning the gain down and use the volume and tone pots on your pedal to get more of a clean boost.
Hey Eric, yup I read everywhere about keeping the drive down and that it also applies to the TS9.
The only clean boat I tried on analog equipment was the EQ in front of the pre, but still haven't settled on a setting. Treble boosters and clean boosters only in guitar amp emulations (guitarix on Linux)

:welcome:
To The Forum
Lots of great people here to help you in your tone quest .. as said above me an SD1 is a great clean boost (also a boss product) there are a number of us MF’rs that use it with our Marshall amps ..
please enjoy your stay.

Mitch
Thanks Mitch
The difference between a SD1 and a TS9 isnt very huge. I can use either but have TS9's because thats just what I started with and always seem to fall back on. TS9's act like a mid boost EQ and tighten up lows. SD1 just tighten up lows. IMO either works fine for a Marshall and once the drums and bass kick in the difference is negligible. As said above most people set the gain low, level high and the tone in the middle for boost with an overdrive.
Hey RCM800, actually that's something I hadn't given much thought to, but it's a great pointer, one is always looking for tone in the bedroom but it is actually more important in a band to sound good in context (or cutting through the mix) unfortunately it's not so easy to keep a critical ear one the drums and bass kicks in.
Maybe it's more important as a base sound for recording? IDK
Thanks for the welcome and the tips guys

Latest posts