New guitar purchase in the making...PRS Tremonti or Fender Player Series Stratocaster

• Thread starter CroTone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CroTone

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Soon I am planning to add another guitar to my arsenal.
It's been a while since I had my last guitar and last few years I play my MIM Fender Telecaster, standard single-coil pickup configuration, maple neck.
I've been planning to add a humbucker-based guitar to my collection and really got an eye on Tremonti Limited SE PRS guitar with 2 humbuckers and a beautiful black finish that I can get locally. From what I've read it should be a decent guitar for rock n' roll, it has specs that are exactly to my liking and the guitar looks beautiful. However, no prior experience whatsoever with PRS so kind of unsettled there.
On the other hand, for a bit more money I can get a Fender Player Series Stratocaster with a maple neck and HSS configuration with Alnico II humbucker.
PRS comes with 2 x Tremonti S humbuckers.
Fender HSS configuration would satisfy my humbucker requirement and would be an all-around great tool with predictable Fender sound and performance (with which I am much more familiar than PRS).

I've really narrowed it down to these two guitars and it is definitely going to be one of these, however, I am on the fence. Both are locally available.
Of note, PRS is about 200 $ less than Player Fender Stratocaster (it is an entry-level Tremonti PRS, it is not an expensive custom version).

If someone could chime in with their experience, especially if you own or had a chance to try both guitars that would be great. Would appreciate your input.

My style of music is mostly hard-rock...from Van Halen, Guns n' roses, etc, some metal (believe it or not it can be played on the telecaster lol :D).

Thanks guys!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Soon I am planning to add another guitar to my arsenal.
It's been a while since I had my last guitar and last few years I play my MIM Fender Telecaster, standard single-coil pickup configuration, maple neck.
I've been planning to add a humbucker-based guitar to my collection and really got an eye on Tremonti Limited SE PRS guitar with 2 humbuckers and a beautiful black finish that I can get locally. From what I've read it should be a decent guitar for rock n' roll, it has specs that are exactly to my liking and the guitar looks beautiful. However, no prior experience whatsoever with PRS so kind of unsettled there.
On the other hand, for a bit more money I can get a Fender Player Series Stratocaster with a maple neck and HSS configuration with Alnico II humbucker.
PRS comes with 2 x Tremonti S humbuckers.
Fender HSS configuration would satisfy my humbucker requirement and would be an all-around great tool with predictable Fender sound and performance (with which I am much more familiar than PRS).

I've really narrowed it down to these two guitars and it is definitely going to be one of these, however, I am on the fence. Both are locally available.
Of note, PRS is about 200 $ less than Player Fender Stratocaster (it is an entry-level Tremonti PRS, it is not an expensive custom version).

If someone could chime in with their experience, especially if you own or had a chance to try both guitars that would be great. Would appreciate your input.

My style of music is mostly hard-rock...from Van Halen, Guns n' roses, etc, some metal (believe it or not it can be played on the telecaster lol :D).

Thanks guys!
You said they're local, go try them both out and see what you like, regardless either will be a win, comes down to if you prefer a humbucker or a single at the neck. Do they both come with hardshell case?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 for play them both if you can.
Get the one that feels the best to play.
Don't get hung up on humbucker vs. single coils, or even the HSS Strat configuration.
Pickup changes and coil taps are some of the easiest mods on any guitar.
You can get HBs that fit existing Strat pickup pickguard openings.
And you can coil tap the HBs in the PRS or a HB Strat with a push/pull pot.
I've got mini HBs in my Tele kit clone with a coil tap on a mini switch for singles tones.
And I have push/pull volume pots to coil tap my LP 490s.

Last edited:

CroTone

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys!
While Tremonti is a remarkable guitar, I've opted for the polar white Fender Player Series strat, HSS configuration, maple neck. That's the one that is on order.

Latest posts