New Marshall CODE digital amp series

• Thread starter Moony
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
square marshalls looking "off" or "unnatural"??? :rolleyes:

this looks pretty natural to me

1920-Product-banners_0072_1960B-1920x960.jpg
I was referring to the Marshall Combos, not sure how you thought that what I said included cabinets. Cabinets look natural as squares, because they have pretty much always looked like that. Combos are best know as rectangles and that's just how they look.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
OK.....here we go, a "warts 'n all" demo. Nothing fancy my Olympus LS-5 in the room. So this is what you WILL hear when you play your Code. No effects (maybe reverb on a couple) and a good smattering of amps recorded dry. This is the 10" amp speaker you can hear....I haven't tried putting it through the JMD yet....later this week :yesway: The amps used are listed below all factory pre-sets with no messing from me. Guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul as I thought it would be more in keeping with what the target market would be using. :jam:

1. DSL Clean
2. JVM Clean
3. Plexi
4. JTM 45
5. Blues Breaker
6. JCM 800 (oh Yeah :woot:)
7. American Crunch
8. Silver Jubilee
9. NWOBHM (metalish? :shrug:)
10. "Air" (Prince tribute)

Sorry about the bollocks playing....I hate doing this sort of thing in a rush and can never think of 'owt to play. :ohno:

Holy sh¡t!!!! :shock:

I have to buy this thing... NOW!

Awesome demo brother!

In love with DSL clean, plexi, JCM800, and "Air"

Tasty tones... :drool:

Last edited:

Dmann

Reaction score
OK.....here we go, a "warts 'n all" demo. Nothing fancy my Olympus LS-5 in the room. So this is what you WILL hear when you play your Code. No effects (maybe reverb on a couple) and a good smattering of amps recorded dry. This is the 10" amp speaker you can hear....I haven't tried putting it through the JMD yet....later this week :yesway: The amps used are listed below all factory pre-sets with no messing from me. Guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul as I thought it would be more in keeping with what the target market would be using. :jam:

1. DSL Clean
2. JVM Clean
3. Plexi
4. JTM 45
5. Blues Breaker
6. JCM 800 (oh Yeah :woot:)
7. American Crunch
8. Silver Jubilee
9. NWOBHM (metalish? :shrug:)
10. "Air" (Prince tribute)

Sorry about the bollocks playing....I hate doing this sort of thing in a rush and can never think of 'owt to play. :ohno:

sounds great man, I would really LOVE to hear a USB to DAW direct recording compared to the mic recording :naughty:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Cool, I agree about the DI interface USB recording...

One thing I noticed right off (@ NAMM & also the demos) was that the JVM crunch was dialed in dark - too dark. Don't be afraid to turn the presence knob up on that puppy. I'm sure you'll get a lot more desirable sound out of that.

Funny that Solar mentioned it, but, at NAMM I thought the American crunch sounded pretty bad. To me, it reminded me of old Randall amps that nobody wanted in the '80s. In this clip though, it didn't sound too bad, so I can see it's usefulness for some.

Nice demo & thanks for sharing. I'm debating on breaking it off, into it's own thread, so that when everyone gets their CODE & want to post examples, they can add to it, & it isn't 80 pages of complaints leading up to actual CODE experience, we'll see how that goes, if you guys think we should have a new thread, I'm up for it.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Cool, I agree about the DI interface USB recording...

One thing I noticed right off (@ NAMM & also the demos) was that the JVM crunch was dialed in dark - too dark. Don't be afraid to turn the presence knob up on that puppy. I'm sure you'll get a lot more desirable sound out of that.

Funny that Solar mentioned it, but, at NAMM I thought the American crunch sounded pretty bad. To me, it reminded me of old Randall amps that nobody wanted in the '80s. In this clip though, it didn't sound too bad, so I can see it's usefulness for some.

Nice demo & thanks for sharing. I'm debating on breaking it off, into it's own thread, so that when everyone gets their CODE & want to post examples, they can add to it, & it isn't 80 pages of complaints leading up to actual CODE experience, we'll see how that goes, if you guys think we should have a new thread, I'm up for it.

Great idea DoD! :yesway:

mazzefr

Reaction score
I'm debating on breaking it off, into it's own thread, so that when everyone gets their CODE & want to post examples, they can add to it, & it isn't 80 pages of complaints leading up to actual CODE experience, we'll see how that goes, if you guys think we should have a new thread, I'm up for it.

I agree. We may need a separate one in the near future for setting/patch sharing as well.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Nice demo tec :yesway: I'm glad to finally hear one. I think you're demo has convinced me to go with the 25. I was concerned about the 10" speaker but it seems to work pretty well. I can tell the distorted patches need a little tweaking but man, the plexi one sounded really good. That's the amp all the modelers seem to screw up.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
To be honest guys I was pretty stunned when I turned the master to around 3 on the dial....it sounds flippin' great. Yes there are EQ tweaks that we will all make but the underlying models are pure quality. I did try it briefly via the JMD and it seems the headphone out is a pretty weak signal. I had everything on full on both the Code and the JMD....it did sound pretty decent though. :yum:

Tantramancan

Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that iPhone's capable of Bluetooth 4.0 start with the 4S and it is a hardware issue so unfortunately, your current device will not work. If you happen to have an iPad or other tablet, newer than your phone, you can probably use that. Here is a list of Apple devices that support Bluetooth 4.0:

"What iPhones and iPads have Bluetooth 4.0?

Bluetooth 4.0 (BT LE), also known as Bluetooth Low Energy and Bluetooth Smart first appeared in smartphones in 2011. It is required for the Handoff feature of iOS 8 and Yosemite. The following iPhones and iPads use Bluetooth 4.0:

iPhone

• iPhone 4s
  • iPhone 5
  • iPhone 5c
  • iPhone 5s
  • iPhone 6
  • iPhone 6 Plus
iPad

• iPad, 3rd generation
  • iPad, 4th generation
  • iPad mini
  • iPad mini 2
  • iPad mini 3
  • iPad Air
  • iPad Air 2
iMac/MacBook

See a detailed description of how to find whether or not your here.

iPod

The iPod Touch (5th generation) is equipped with Bluetooth 4.0."

(Credit to iphonefaq.org)
I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH the GATEWAY, BLUETOOTH CONNECTION TO MY CODE 25 ALSO.
My phone is a HTC ONE S with Bluetooth v4.0, A2DP, aptX and it pairs with other devices and even sees my CODE 25 & lists it's number and says it's paired but says I should see a 6 didgit number ( changes each attempt to connect ) but no number comes up on CODE display and no change of colour to APP panel and no affect on settings. Is this
Bluetooth v4.0, A2DP, aptX Bluetooth device capable of running this App ?? or do I have to upgrade my phone ( don't really want new phone and higher bills. ) OR CAN I BUY A CHEAP ANDROID TABLET THAT WOULD DO THE JOB AND BE BETTER ON MY MUSIC STAND TO CONTROL WITH BIGGER DISPLAY FOR MY FAILING EYESIGHT.
PS. This Code is brilliant for me , great sounds but would be better with bigger speakers, shame it does not have a LINE OUT to feed old Cab with bigger speakers.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
https://marshallamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/CODE25_OwnersManual_April16.pdf

BLUETOOTH

Pressing REV and POWER Section Switches together (#18 & #19 in this manual) accesses
the Bluetooth® pairing function:

• The display screen will show ‘Bluetooth, pairing enabled’ and your CODE amplifier’s
pairing ID.
• The blue LED on EXIT/STORE (#21 in this manual) will flash while pairing.
• When paired, the blue LED will stop flashing and remain lit.
• When streaming audio, use the MASTER volume control or your music player to set the
volume level.

The Marshall Gateway™ App enables you to control your CODE amplifier remotely and
access Marshall Gateway using your iOS/Android device. Download Marshall Gateway
now from the App Store or Google Play.

Goooner1

Reaction score
I'll just add that in the brief amount of time I had with mine, it seemed to pair ok, after I figured out you had to press the two buttons on the amp, but at no stage did any six digit code appear.

I do vaguely recall a message on my iPhone asking if I could see the same code on the amp as was show on my phone, but it didn't seem to matter that it wasn't.

Benzel

Reaction score
I'm curious about the DAW interface possibilities. I'm totally new to recording, but in a nutshell: With the code plugged into my PC, can I record directly into say Pro Tools or similar without purchasing any other gear like mixers, mics etc?

WasStoNed

Reaction score
I paired mine on the third attempt, powered off the amp inbetween too, all done on phone. I ignored the passcode bit and just accepted what the phone said. I had to kill the gateway app to get pairing working.by kill I mean via the task manager type thing. Don't give up

should say I'm using a moto g 1st generation

I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH the GATEWAY, BLUETOOTH CONNECTION TO MY CODE 25 ALSO.
My phone is a HTC ONE S with Bluetooth v4.0, A2DP, aptX and it pairs with other devices and even sees my CODE 25 & lists it's number and says it's paired but says I should see a 6 didgit number ( changes each attempt to connect ) but no number comes up on CODE display and no change of colour to APP panel and no affect on settings. Is this
Bluetooth v4.0, A2DP, aptX Bluetooth device capable of running this App ?? or do I have to upgrade my phone ( don't really want new phone and higher bills. ) OR CAN I BUY A CHEAP ANDROID TABLET THAT WOULD DO THE JOB AND BE BETTER ON MY MUSIC STAND TO CONTROL WITH BIGGER DISPLAY FOR MY FAILING EYESIGHT.
PS. This Code is brilliant for me , great sounds but would be better with bigger speakers, shame it does not have a LINE OUT to feed old Cab with bigger speakers.

Last edited:

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I'm curious about the DAW interface possibilities. I'm totally new to recording, but in a nutshell: With the code plugged into my PC, can I record directly into say Pro Tools or similar without purchasing any other gear like mixers, mics etc?

Yes, using the USB connection you should be all set with just the amp. As long as you have a DAW (pro tools is fine)

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
that is a bit weird, a phone output should provide some serious amount signal
what kind of cable and adapter did you use?

I used a pretty high quality mini to mini Jack lead into a mini to 1/4 adaptor at the JMD. I do have some others I can try that may result in less signal loss. If I switched the power amp and cab sims in (I was just using the Code pre-amp model for the JCM 800) the volume did go up somewhat, but the EQ would have needed some serious tweaking. I'm sure there's going to be a way to get good results though. :fingersx: