New Marshall Fan Jcm 2000

• Thread starter Rds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    tsl 100
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rds

Reaction score
Greetings. I am a new Marshall user. Playing around 25 yrs. now. Have played many amps mostly 80's carvin x 100b last several yrs. Decided to step out and get a Marshall tube amp. I got a tsl 122. Didn't get it the first week. And then wow! I got it. It was so different from my other amps. The way it feels if u will. I tell you I can get some of the dirtiest, growling, tones with this thing. Its just ridiculous what I was missing. Can go clean and get some great jazz chords with it too. Got mine in the high 500's and Worth every penny. I have read a lot of reviews and many complaints about tsl's. Mine works perfect. It has had several loud workouts. Looks like I'm Marshall from here on. Look forward to exploring the site.

dreyn77

Reaction score
Triple super leads are brilliant products!
Great buy!
Yeah these things make sound which is beyond the older notes. When you hear the notes, they have a crisper edge to their sound. They can be brighter in tone too. So I've found that when I want to blend the sound with the rest of the band, I take off some tone at the guitar. Then when I need to play the lead role, I just turn up the tone control. The other amps can get close to these tones.

The more I play around with older amps and custom pickups and pedals, the more I love the JCM 2000 product.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Congrats and welcome!! The 122 is a great amp!! The feel is excellent, you can stay on channel 2 and run from light breakup with the volume down on guitar to full out raunch with the gain around 7. Sweet! It is one loud amp too. Easy bias settings, it's one of my favorites.

The Dose of Harmony

Reaction score
i think TSL are amazing !!!

you have to spend time dialing but it worth it!
there is people that say bad things about them and there is issues with 1999 2002 era but if you find one that works for forget it !
it took me a while to make sound really good and the whole thing with the tubes its a puzzle that you have to figure it out by yourself!

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
JCM 2000 TSL series are rated pretty high in my book. I'm partial to the TSL 100 head, but I couldn't complain if it were a 122. Bottom like: enjoy your amp and learn how to get the most out of it.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
So how does your X100B compare to the TSL? sounds like the TSL is dirtier or grittier by you comments.

Rds

Reaction score
heres a pic of the carvin combo. I also have an x100b 100 watt head and 4x12 cab. I was strong into them for several years. they served me well. mine were both early 80's models like 84. they sound full and meaty with 6l6 tubes an celestion g12m70's. the gain is quite lacking though. I put a mxl overdrive in front and they were both great after that. I could'nt easily switch from the gain channel to clean that way, if I wanted to though. so I found my marshall as a result. amps are works of art. everybody has a different approach and resulting sound color if you will. the marshall just has a great sound color all its own. it can be dirty as can be. I love the crunch channel. you can do devastating blues with it. im a heavy rocker and metaler and find the tsl right at home there. also like jazz and my jazz chords sound very good on the clean channel of the tsl. its a good work of art. when set properly the tsl can get jimmy paige sounds, chuck berry sounds, bb king sounds, acdc sounds, early alex lifeson sounds, though some of those folks did not use marshall. I think it can do a lot.

Carvin amp.JPG

bridge500t

Reaction score
I just picked up a TSL60 and really like it. I got a steal on it and was originally going to flip it but think I'll keep it now. I did replace all the preamp tubes and am looking at new power tubes too. Sounds even better with the new preamp tubes.

Rds

Reaction score
I just picked up a TSL60 and really like it. I got a steal on it and was originally going to flip it but think I'll keep it now. I did replace all the preamp tubes and am looking at new power tubes too. Sounds even better with the new preamp tubes.
That's cool bridge. Just curious what tubes did u go with?

bridge500t

Reaction score
That's cool bridge. Just curious what tubes did u go with?
I went with preferred series 7025's in V1-V3 from the tubestore.com. and a Sovtek 12ax7lps for the phase inverter V4 slot. I really like the amp and how it sounds but am having issues getting a delay pedal to work really well with it. After some tweaking I got it somewhat acceptable but nothing like running the same pedal through my DSL40C. All in all I like my DSL40C better though. The DSL has more bottom end and just overall seems like it has more power. I had the DSL re-tubed and tech stated it was actually pushing out 49.7 watts with the new tubes, not 40. So maybe once I get new power tubes in TSL maybe it will hold up better to the DSL, but so far it has not. Don't get me wrong though, the TSL still sounds good, just not as good.

Last edited:

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
The TSL60 is a completely different animal than the TSL100/122. And not just in the two power tubes vs four power tubes. The preamp circuit is quite different between the two, primarily on each amps Clean channels. My opinion is that the TSL60 might have one of the best clean channels from all the Marshalls, and I own DSL100's, TSL100's and the old 6100's as well.

When I took my TSL100 over to my buds house for a jam, we did a comparison between my TSL100 and his TSL60. The Crunch and Lead channels on the TSL100 stomped all over the TSL60's Dirt channels. But the TSL60 Clean was outstanding. But, the TSL100/122 Clean channel is no slouch either. I think it is better than the Clean mode on my DSL100's. But the TSL60 Clean channel uses one less gain stage than the 100/122 circuit and is designed more like an old Fender circuit.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
Congrats, a TSL60 was my third of many Marshalls since the lat 70's. The TSL is gone now, but it was a good sounding amp. I still own 4 Marshalls, so you're Marshall tour has just begun.

12barjunkie

Reaction score
Congrats on the new amp and welcome to the forum!

giphy.gif

custom53

Reaction score
I own a JCM2000 DSL 100 Head and TSL 100 Head.. And the TSL get way more play time then the DSL gets. Not that it is a bad amp I just like the Sound and switching ability more with the TSL..

The JCM2000 Series Marshall's I think are very Underated.. Great Amps..!

Jeff Hudson

Reaction score
Congratulations and hope you enjoy the ride! I have the TSL 100 Head and it is amazing. This head goes any where I want and no where I don't. It is the only amp I have been happy with after my 2205. The only hangup is being new to me, I'm keeping an eye on the bias.

Rds

Reaction score
Still very happy with it for sure. I left one thing out. I'm getting these crazy good sounds with a Gibson es135 semi hollow with trapiez tail piece. Just amazing! Of course my Les Paul and Rd also sound real good through the tsl. But this 135 is crazy good through it. When you hit certain notes the body vibrates and produces a sweet tone with very controllable feedback. Just crazy good. Guitar has 57 classics. I prefer hotter pu's usually but in this guitar they sound sweet. I'm usually cruzin in crunch channel.

Latest posts