New Monkey

• Thread starter AndyHighTides
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZoomZilla

Reaction score
I can't help you on settings, but let me know how it sounds. I am looking for an overdrive pedal to be used as a tube screamer.

stryker59

Reaction score
I can't help you on settings, but let me know how it sounds. I am looking for an overdrive pedal to be used as a tube screamer.

i have the fulltone ocd and the mxr distortion III they are both great overdrives! i double them up w/ the drive all the way down and the volume all the way up and its freakin awesome!! but they are also great used by their self!

ZoomZilla

Reaction score
I have heard great things about the OCD, but the price tag is pretty high. I love MXR stuff and I am sure that is great too. I was thinking about the Zakk Wylde OD from them. It was reasonable at $99.

stryker59

Reaction score
ive not heard the zack wylde one so i cant comment on it! the distortion III was 79 and its worth every penny!!

AndyHighTides

Reaction score
With the bass and treble at 2:00, it sounds quite close to the tube screamer. The bonus is the extra lows and highs you can dial in. Bass at full gets a little overbearing, but back it off just a little and it sounds awsome.
Also, it works well with the gain turned off as a clean boost. 11:30 on the level, 2:00 for bass and treble, seems to be about unity.

sandman69

Reaction score
I really like my Visual Sounds Jekyll and Hyde pedal. It is a two channel OD/Distortion pedal. The OD (Jekyll) has the JRC4558 chip in it (which was used in the TS808 tubescreamer and is very nice. The Distortion (Hyde) channel is pretty versatile. You can also use both at once for over the top Distortion w/ easy feedback.
I am not sure on the new V2 version of it, as I have the previous version. It is also a tank.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Get a modded BOSS SD1 , they sound cleaner than a bad monkey. i do pedal mods on the side and that sd1 can sound better that alot of other pedals if you know what your
doing inside . i had a b monkey its not bad for the money, but is colored my tone alot
so it was sold. and as for the Zakk wylde pedal , remember that pedal has been modded to his specs to run in his live rig. thats why they don't sound right to you and me , i have heard nothing but crappy reveiws from that pedal , but again it was made for his
wants and needs etc. then the OCD , thats a whole other creature in its self , this is a
"boutique" built pedal , boasting some of the best overdrive tones in a stomp box , these things sound killer infront of any good tube amp!!!

some other good ones:
fulltone fulldrive 1 & 2
voo doo labs sparkledrive
zvex box of rock

JohnH

Reaction score
I use my bm with level at 10 o'clock, treble and bass at 3, gain at 1 o'clock

lemansfanatic

Reaction score
Ya gotta love how when you ask someone for help in setting up a pedal you ALREADY bought you get a bunch of people telling you what pedal you should buy! :slap:
Whenever I get my Humphrey Modded Badder Monkey this Christmas morning i'll open it up and dial it in and let you know. I know that among the others still doesn't answer your question, maybe someone who has one can reply with a solid answer to how to attain Monkey Nirvana!

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Ya gotta love how when you ask someone for help in setting up a pedal you ALREADY bought you get a bunch of people telling you what pedal you should buy! :slap:
Whenever I get my Humphrey Modded Badder Monkey this Christmas morning i'll open it up and dial it in and let you know. I know that among the others still doesn't answer your question, maybe someone who has one can reply with a solid answer to how to attain Monkey Nirvana!

what would you like to know about the monkey ? maybe i can help.
i have owned one one , thought it was good for the money .

Last edited:

mtm105

Reaction score
I'm not a Digitech fan. I've bought 3 of their pedals. sold two and holding onto the Bad Monkey.

I don't think I'll ever clear selling it close to what I may have paid for it. So I keep it.

DigiTech has a nice quality tone, it's made in USA. But, it also seems to suck life out of my signal. That's been my experience.

sinner 13

Reaction score
If you have the $170 and want a really nice OD / boost, I recommend Xotic's AC Boost.

I use mine in front of my 1959HW, and it lights it up real nice.

And it's dual purpose, Crank the Volume for clean boost, and if it's not enough, roll it back and dial in some dirt for a little more bite.

xotic-acbooster.jpg

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I like the Mad Bonkey. I use mine as a clean boost, eq set at noon. Alot of times I use it in unison with my GE7 eq which is set as a clean boost as well but adds a bit more girth to the sound.

mirrorman

Reaction score
Enjoy your new pedal!
For the most part, I use my Bad Monkey in front of a clean channel Hot Rod Deluxe for a little extra grind. I'll usually have the Low and High set around 1:00. Level and Gain settings really vary by guitar and what pickups are in it. P90s for example will need less gain setting than stock Tele pickups to reach the same level of gain. I also set the Level so that I match up the volume of the clean amp with the pedal bypassed. I'll use an EQ in the effects loop as a signal boost rather than the BM.
Best thing to do is play it and tweak it to your liking as you go!

Last edited:

RG31

Reaction score
For me, I simply use it as a clean boost. My settings are gain on zero, volume on ten and the tone controls are set at 12:00 oclock.

For the money, no other pedal can come close for it's price.