New (old) Fender amp day, Time Capsule Pro Reverb

• Thread starter Matthews Guitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I made the mistake of checking out a garage sale today. Because it caused me to spend money.

300 dollars for a silverface Fender Pro Reverb, how am I going to say no to that? So I bought it.

It's a '78 edition, 70 watts, ultralinear output transformer, middle controls, master volume with pull boost.

Identical to one I already own.

I'm kind of a sucker for these because while they don't have the best overdrive, the DO have the best, and most glorious,
luscious, reverby clean tones going.

Externally it's very dusty. There's some tolex damage. I will patch or replace the tolex as needed, which on these amps
can be done in sections as Fender put the tolex on in four separate pieces.

The most remarkable thing about this amp, I realized, after I removed the chassis for inspection, is that this amp is utterly
factory original to the smallest thing. I think it's never been out of the cabinet before today. Caps are all original, and
the two big ones have leaked a little at the vents.
Even all tubes are original. Date coded and type correct, preamp and power tubes, all of them. Original Fender orange print
7025s, 12AT7s, and 6L6GCs.

The chassis doesn't have a single etched-in fingerprint on it. The metalwork is bright with only some yellow Cadmium oxide in
places.

The condition of the chassis is actually awesome. I've never seen such an utterly pristine example this old before.

Even the original red plug on the end of the power cord is still there and the ground prong isn't broken off! That alone is pretty rare!

The front silverface panel does have some degradation, but not much. A little worm tracking corrosion and some clearcoat loss.

It's made it 45 years without needing service. Says a lot for how well made these were.

Aside from noisy pots, it's also 100 percent functional, clean, and quiet. Works like a champ! Or, more properly, like a PRO.

Plans: Clean up the very dusty cabinet, inside and out, patch the tolex or replace the damaged pieces, replace the caps that NEED it,
and resell it for a modest profit. Because I don't really need twin Pro Reverbs.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I've already got four Marshall 4x12s and five Marshall JMP era heads. If I want to do stereo I've got that base very well covered already.

:cool:

Dblgun

Reaction score
I recently worked with a silverface master volume Twin. It was a completely mint version that someone had pilfered all the transformers and choke. It still had the red a/c plug and the red paper warning tag still attached to the cord! I had a original P/T and used a Super O/T as I was eliminating two power tubes and reducing the output to 50w. I converted the normal channel to a Trainwreck inspired circuit while eliminating the MV and boost for a presence. It's a versatile option for different take on a silverface if you already have one.

Crikey

Reaction score
C
I made the mistake of checking out a garage sale today. Because it caused me to spend money.

300 dollars for a silverface Fender Pro Reverb, how am I going to say no to that? So I bought it.

It's a '78 edition, 70 watts, ultralinear output transformer, middle controls, master volume with pull boost.

Identical to one I already own.

I'm kind of a sucker for these because while they don't have the best overdrive, the DO have the best, and most glorious,
luscious, reverby clean tones going.

Externally it's very dusty. There's some tolex damage. I will patch or replace the tolex as needed, which on these amps
can be done in sections as Fender put the tolex on in four separate pieces.

The most remarkable thing about this amp, I realized, after I removed the chassis for inspection, is that this amp is utterly
factory original to the smallest thing. I think it's never been out of the cabinet before today. Caps are all original, and
the two big ones have leaked a little at the vents.
Even all tubes are original. Date coded and type correct, preamp and power tubes, all of them. Original Fender orange print
7025s, 12AT7s, and 6L6GCs.

The chassis doesn't have a single etched-in fingerprint on it. The metalwork is bright with only some yellow Cadmium oxide in
places.

The condition of the chassis is actually awesome. I've never seen such an utterly pristine example this old before.

Even the original red plug on the end of the power cord is still there and the ground prong isn't broken off! That alone is pretty rare!

The front silverface panel does have some degradation, but not much. A little worm tracking corrosion and some clearcoat loss.

It's made it 45 years without needing service. Says a lot for how well made these were.

Aside from noisy pots, it's also 100 percent functional, clean, and quiet. Works like a champ! Or, more properly, like a PRO.

Plans: Clean up the very dusty cabinet, inside and out, patch the tolex or replace the damaged pieces, replace the caps that NEED it,
and resell it for a modest profit. Because I don't really need twin Pro Reverbs.
Congrats.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I was talking to somebody not long ago about a pristine Twin chassis that had had its transformers taken. Maybe it was the same one?

Dblgun

Reaction score
That is a very clean example, well done!
I was talking to somebody not long ago about a pristine Twin chassis that had had its transformers taken. Maybe it was the same one?
The Twin came from Canada and found a new home here in Arizona.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
Congratulations, can’t beat the price. We need more photos please.

My ‘71 Pro Reverb, basically stock except for the face-plate and recently serviced.

A great sounding amp.

IMG_9014.jpeg

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I finished cleaning it all up and did a deoxit treatment on all the jacks and controls and they all cleaned up nicely. No noises when they're operated. Amp runs great even though those caps do need to be replaced. I'm really impressed at how it's survived 45 years in utterly original condition and everything still works so well.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
These silverface beauties are indestructible. Simple and elegant, and if reasonably cared for will last a lifetime. Nice score, but flipping them can become an obsession.

Gee I wonder why so many Fender amp threads lately?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Interesting comparison between my two twin Pro Reverbs. Though they're nominally the same model and version, they do sound significantly different. The "new" one that I just got actually overdrives quite well and has a "blackface" feel to it. The other that I've had for a while is not so good at overdrive but has that lush reverby floating on clouds clean tone that I associate with the type.

I think I'll compare them with the chassis out and see if there are any component value differences or circuit revisions.

Dr.Twang!

Reaction score
I needed a louder clean gigging combo…was looking around for a few years and saw this 67 on Craigslist when traveling through Colorado a couple years ago. Listed at $650. Basket case that really only needed a new OT on closer inspection.
Got a better deal! Installed Classictone OT, grillcloth and filter caps. A good cleaning, a pair of Celestion neos and it’s a pretty good mid volume 48 pound gig monster. Great amps. Add a mid pot in place of the 6.8k resistor on the bass pot for grind!

1686667184254.jpeg
1686667254005.jpeg

Browneyesound

Reaction score
Yes, these were built to last, as well as serviceability.

My 1971 Super Six was almost like that, other than the tubes and one replaced screen resistor.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The first good amp I ever bought was a '73 Pro Reverb. I still have it, but it was used as the platform for extensive modifications,
and eventually a new amp was built in it. Then that was torn down and rebuilt again. It's not completed, and the guy who did it is dead, so that's kind of a dead end until I get around to trying to finish what he started. All things considered I'd have been better off to keep it stock. And I only originally paid 75 dollars for it.

Clifdawg

Reaction score
I’d like to have a run with my Westminster Effects 2716 Distortion into both of your Pro Reverbs in stereo. The beautiful clean tone would make a lovely platform for those delicious high-gain chugs… :hbang:

Rotorcraft230

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice amp, wow it’s a pleasure to get something like that that seems to have never been opened.

I found a similar amp locally, 62 Brownface pro, was blowing fuses, bought it opened it up ALL original, tubes electrolytic cap , everything. Recapped it, it’s beautiful sounding.IMG_2764.jpegIMG_2773.jpegIMG_2771.jpegIMG_2770.jpegIMG_2761.jpegIMG_2760.jpegIMG_2759.jpegIMG_2783.jpegIMG_2784.jpeg