Newb advice for cab

• Thread starter hitbyastick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hitbyastick

Reaction score
Hello, I haven't picked up my guitars in years but now I'm getting them set back up. Bought a 2203X head from a family member. Total overkill. But he offered it to me fer cheep. Ole family discount. I've never had a decent amp growing up because of the cost. All I ever played through was solid state garbage. Also I picked up a 1960B cab locally again fer cheep.

I'm not really into the sound that JCM800s are supposed to be known for, I'd rather have a plexi. Looking for more of a browner, nuttier, woodier sound. Not into the super high gain type of overdrive. So I have this amp now and that's what I have, and will have to make it work.

That is not to say I don't like hard rock & roll music, or what I would call heavy music. Just not into the djent or whatever it's called, or the chug chug chug style of extreme doom music. VH, Dinosaur Jr, Living Colour, Zep, Hendrix, etc are who I've always admired. I'm quite old.

I don't know what speakers come in these cabs nor am I an expert on their respective specific qualities. Can I achieve the sound I'm looking for from this amp just by turning knobs? I haven't picked the head up yet and my guitars are still out being worked on. Too excited. I suppose I'll simply need to hear it for myself.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
Lots of usable tones in a 2203.
It doesn't need to have the gain cranked into the chugging zone...
A nice OD pedal out front can get you just about any tones you're looking for.
Standard 1960 cab should be G12T-75's (300w) and is a great match for the 2203.

BlueX

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

2203/1960B must be one of the best re-start rigs you can get, maybe short of a good plexi amp. As @fitz mentioned, you can get a lot of different sound from the 2203, and the master volume let's you play at lower volume (still 100W though). Boss BD-2 or SD-1 in front could be worth trying.

Have you opened up the cab to check what speakers are in it? The straight 1960B cab is a great "platform", and you can later try out different speakers. Celestion Greenbacks might fit your taste for music, although the power handling is on the limit (if you crank the amp). Creambacks (and others) can handle more power.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
A Plexi would be very loud. The 2203 can sound Plexi-like with some knob twisting and the volume is more manageable. Put the pre-amp anywhere in the 3 to 5 range. Keep the treble and mids very low, around 1 or 2 for browner. Go into the high input with the volume at a comfortable level, 1/4 to 1 or 2. The higher you go on the pre-amp knob, the darker the amp gets. Keep that knob low and turn up the volume for cleaner and punchier. This amp is more practical than a Plexi for home use and you won’t need an attenuator.

V-man

Reaction score
Is a plexi its own thing regarding its voicing? Yes.

Is it lower gain than a (wide open) 2203? Yes.

Is a 2203 “Hi gain?” Not remotely. Medium at best.

Could an untrained ear pick out a 2203 (dialed) from a plexi In a mix? Doubtful.

That said, I can not possibly read the words with a straight face about a guy who was raised on “garbage solid state” amps looking down his nose at a 2203, but here at MF.com we offer solutions. Ship me your 2203X (on my dime) and upon receipt of a functioning unit, I will have Sweetwater music ship you the (vastly more suitable to your tone) Marshall Origin of your choice, head or combo, complete with their exchange policy and manufacturer’s warranty.

While I am over here holding my breath for you to take me up on that opportunity, you should consider an IR box/plugins with a DAW to audition speakers but Greenbacks are the sure way to go.

79 2203

Reaction score
A 2203 isn’t a high gain amp and can be dialed in to be very close to a Plexi. Preamp at 5 will be a killer ACDC, Lizzy, live Zep tone though you will probably have to keep the Treb and Pres low at that Preamp setting. For heavier tones like VH, crank the Preamp and/ or add a boost. The amp will darken at high Preamp settings.

Last edited:

Geeze

Reaction score
Take your time and twist those knobs - it takes time to learn how to dial an amp in and how it reacts to your various guitars [pickups] and pedals, speakers and room. If you can find any Marshall freaks in your area its highly worth reaching out to them as they will teach you faster than you can learn on your own. I found a guy online [yep sounds creepy] five hours from me when I lived in Dallas who had pretty much every era of Marshall in his huge jam room. I would make a pilgrimage a few times a year to worship at the mighty temple of loud.

So worth the effort!

Russ

Silverdome

Reaction score
I got a 2x12 in a custom built cab with green backs, and zero complaints. It's that classic sound you are after.

Also, I had a JCM900 six and was able to dial in a decent classic rock sound. I'm convinced you can do so with the JCM800.

AtomicRob

Reaction score
A 2203 can be more plexi-ish if you use the low input (which skips one gain stage) keep the master volume high or on 10, and use the preamp volume to control gain. Then you'll also get to experience the painful volume levels of a non-mv plexi! Good times.

I actually do this fairly often with my 4010(2204) - for crunchy sounds the low input with master volume high sounds much better IMHO than the high input with master low.

79 2203

Reaction score
A 2203 can be more plexi-ish if you use the low input (which skips one gain stage) keep the master volume high or on 10, and use the preamp volume to control gain. Then you'll also get to experience the painful volume levels of a non-mv plexi! Good times.

I actually do this fairly often with my 4010(2204) - for crunchy sounds the low input with master volume high sounds much better IMHO than the high input with master low.
That’s not been my experience with three vintage 2203’s from 79(still own)80, 82 and two 82 4104’s. The low input cranked is nowhere near as loud as my stock 71 1987, 70 Super Bass, or any of the other 3 NMV Marshalls I’ve owned.

To get the 2203’s and 4104’s to sound close to a 1959/87, youre better going into the high gain input and as you say, crank the MV and keep the Preamp very low. The problem there is that with the Bright Cap on the Preamp, the tone will be very bright at low Preamp settings and on a 2203 you don’t have a normal channel to mix in some bottom end.
I also don’t think the low input sounds or feels much like a Plexi set clean/low gain either.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Ditto, what everyone else has already said. 2203 is a low gain amp, put preamp on 3-5 and volume on 1, you want anything heavier put a TS9 clean boost out front. Enjoy! :yesway:

AtomicRob

Reaction score
That’s not been my experience with three vintage 2203’s from 79(still own)80, 82 and two 82 4104’s. The low input cranked is nowhere near as loud as my stock 71 1987, 70 Super Bass, or any of the other 3 NMV Marshalls I’ve owned.
Yeah true it's probably not quite the same "painfully loud" level on low - I should have said, in my case the low sometimes sounds better when I don't need all the gain on high - also typically my 4010 is miced through a PA so ultimate volume level isn't too critical.

Trem man

Reaction score
You can get what you're looking for with a 2203. Keep the preamp volume low at about 3 to 5 and crank the master volume a bit. Depending on the age of your 1960 cab it probably has GT 75's, not my favorite. Some of the older one's have 65's, much better. If it says 300 watts on the back its 75's. Try thenm for a while, you might like them. If not the new 65's are good. I wouldn't use Greenbacks with a 2203 unless you keep the volume low, great tone but only 25 watts each - right at the limit of your amp's 100 watts. If you want Hendrix a good Strat and a fuzz face will get you there with your new rig.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
2203x and a 1960B cab. You got the whole world in your hands.

There is only one thing that can top that.....

Another half stack, Marshall head and a 1960 cab.

2 half stacks side by side.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Got three setup now.
One has a tight effectron double effect, but no reverbs or echo.

Wow! Fat wood tone.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
I do not have the luxary of a 2203x, YET.....
DSL100 , JCM2000 DSL 100 and a @$%#@TE BV100 with the Effectron in the loop.

Both DSLs are straight, no pedals or loop stuff.
They tune in great tone of many types with NO F N PEDALS.

3 1960 cabs lined up.

The CRATE has been allowed to stay in place. It sounds ok next to the DSLs. Not great on its own. The DSLs hold it up by its shirt collar.

It doesn't matter.... The true tone of the Create is enhanced by the Effectron tones and sounds very good as and effect amp.

I think using too many effects on a Marshall amp just ruins the total tone a Marshall is made to present.

All 3 at once sound great. Plus a couple more.
In the back I use an Origin 50 with a 1960 and that really adds a round tone to the mix.

All these amps together sound massive.