• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

NGD – 2012 1958 Reissue Tobacco Plain top with ‘ghostly flames’

• Thread starter hidetox
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hidetox

Reaction score
Well.. technically my NGD was last Monday where it got delivered to my place. I’ve been GASsing pretty hard for a R8 since I’ve chanced upon this ‘ historic & reissue ‘ section. Was initially looking for a used piece through the evil bay but.. somehow these auctions I’ve tracked eludes me. The prices always went up too high.

So.. called up my trusty dealer in the states and requested his help to source for a used R8. Long story short. He managed to source for a brand new 2012 R8 for a very very good price (even with international shipping + insurance thrown in). I did considered the 2012 fingerboard issue and I’m alright with them. Now the colour choice. I’ve had my honey burst and the gibby Slash Appetite les paul and I wanted a different colour tone this time. Something darker like a tobacco burst… a risky decision as I do favour colours like ice tea or even a Sunrise Tea Burst.. so.. choosing tobacco was certainly a leap of faith for me and seeing this in person reaffirms my decision!

and... my dealer made me an offer that’s too good to resist… once again… bit the bullet, got the permission from my supportive wife, and bought it! Shipping was lighting fast. Payment on the 24th and got it 4 days later - from the States to my door step in Singapore. It was quite a surprise to see the Gibson box on the floor in my house after returning from a hard day’s work.

The smell and the sight of the Tobacco R8, is beyond any description. I am sure all of us can well relate to that feeling on seeing your new delivered guitar for the first time. One thing I’ve found it to be odd as the pick guards were not installed. Any guesses on why? the pickguard that came with it doesn't even have the red oval VOS Sticker.. well... No biggie. Just have to manually install them myself. It’s a breeze.

The Tobacco top, it’s gorgeous! The grains are showing well underneath the VOS finishing. Speaking of the ‘ghostly’ flames… its quite a discovery for myself. I wasn’t expecting any sort of horizontal flames from a plain top. I made this little discovery when I was looking though my photographs of this guitar. From a certain angle, the subtle flames really stood out.

enough talkin' here are the picts...

r81.jpg

showing some subtle flames...

r82.jpg

r83.jpg

r84.JPG

the hardware in detail. aged screws...

r85.JPG

the engine room. Sorry but are these already in 50's wiring? i've viewed the diagrams, compared the 50's and modern and couldn't spot any difference to my novice eyes...

r86.JPG

Picture in black and white. the 'flames' are more obvious here..

r87.JPG

r88.JPG

with her sisters - Slash Appetite Les Paul and the Standard.

hope you guys enjoined it! thanks!​

hbach

Reaction score
Gorgeous threesome!!!

[Looks like modern wiring. 50s has the cap on the center lug of the volume pot.]
EDIT wrong! Zoomed in and it is 50s wiring!

Alt Freak

Reaction score
Super gorgeous guitar man. I have a soft spot for plain top tobacco bursts (but the flames on yours make it a little better) :)

hidetox

Reaction score
hi all, thanks for your lovely comments!

Gorgeous threesome!!!

[Looks like modern wiring. 50s has the cap on the center lug of the volume pot.]
EDIT wrong! Zoomed in and it is 50s wiring!

Thanks a lot for your info hback!

Well... been busy at work so I've managed to spend some moments with the new R8 over the weekend. If i were to compare them across the board, the R8 definately have that 'woody' feel. Where my other two guitars has been fitted with a RS modern kit.. so maybe that explains it...

Neck size wise... no doubt. the R8's the thickest of them all. the standard was of a medium sized where the slash model was the skinnest... the difference was greatly felt when i switched playing the slash one to the R8... ha... now i do wonder if I would want to install a RS Vintage kit in them.. well.. probably not...

more eye candies...

r89.JPG

r810.JPG

byrdparis

Reaction score

Those LP'S are beautiful! :applause:
I love the looks of them standing against the white wall.
Congrat' on your new r8. The tobacco burst is a great color. Enjoy!
I don’t have any lp at the moment, but I guess I will J! (i guess i need to hury the hell up' you guys are buying all gibson stock! :naughty:)

Excused my observation...
Some photograph suggestion if I may; :wave:
Your ISO is too high when you take your pix. It's causing a lot of noise.
Try to put your camera on some tripod or even on a chair or a bunch of books to even her out. Then shoot with some timer on- for not touching her.
In that order you can lower your ISO to 200-400 and not caring for shutter speed.
The camera will gather enough light for your ambient and your photos quality increase by hundreds percentage.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit off :( , but i blame my English that is not so good …

:cheers:

hidetox

Reaction score
thanks and great advice byrdparis!

I am using my iPhone4s to shoot these pictures. Can i somehow rectify the noise problem through photoshop?

:):)

you English is fluent. no problems understanding at all!

Those LP'S are beautiful! :applause:
I love the looks of them standing against the white wall.
Congrat' on your new r8. The tobacco burst is a great color. Enjoy!
I don’t have any lp at the moment, but I guess I will J! (i guess i need to hury the hell up' you guys are buying all gibson stock! :naughty:)

Excused my observation...
Some photograph suggestion if I may; :wave:
Your ISO is too high when you take your pix. It's causing a lot of noise.
Try to put your camera on some tripod or even on a chair or a bunch of books to even her out. Then shoot with some timer on- for not touching her.
In that order you can lower your ISO to 200-400 and not caring for shutter speed.
The camera will gather enough light for your ambient and your photos quality increase by hundreds percentage.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit off :( , but i blame my English that is not so good …

:cheers:

byrdparis

Reaction score
thanks and great advice byrdparis!

I am using my iPhone4s to shoot these pictures. Can i somehow rectify the noise problem through photoshop?

:):)

you English is fluent. no problems understanding at all!

You're welcome...
I got some culinary blog and I shoot mostly food... but its pretty much the same technique all around.

I don't familiar with iphone4s...but rectifying via PS is always a way
I use some add on that called define2 it's a great software... but it cost a lot.
If you like (anyone in here actually) you can send me your pictures as they came out of your camera\iphone and ill try to work on them a bit.

Attachments

• closehifi.JPG
    closehifi.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 7

CaptainZero

Reaction score
Looks great! To help with the noise in your photos, make sure you have a lot of light to start with and there won't be as much noise to get rid of.

hidetox

Reaction score
You're welcome...
I got some culinary blog and I shoot mostly food... but its pretty much the same technique all around.

I don't familiar with iphone4s...but rectifying via PS is always a way
I use some add on that called define2 it's a great software... but it cost a lot.
If you like (anyone in here actually) you can send me your pictures as they came out of your camera\iphone and ill try to work on them a bit.

Looks great! To help with the noise in your photos, make sure you have a lot of light to start with and there won't be as much noise to get rid of.

hi guys.
thanks a lot for your advice! i'll take another shot of the three together and will take note of the lighting next time. Glad to be part of a helpful community here! thanks!

ps. byrd - your photograph makes me.... HUNGRY!

Latest posts