NGD: FujiGen Telecaster goodness!

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

so I was on the fence of getting a Telecaster I could play more modern and high gain styles with, quite honestly I had the Ultra Luxe by Fender in mind. Now the guitar costs a good amount of cash and the Fender Ultra in Texas Tea I tried the other day at my local store left me a but unimpressed. So I chucked that idea in the bin.

Now I had my Orville LPC online for sale as I'm getting a custom Les Paul built by a luthier and I wanted to make some space, a guy from Germany I bought a guitar off of before offered me a trade for the Orville, an Ibanez FR1620:

IMG-20220902-WA0010.jpg

Since the guitar is a Prestige series made in the FujiGen factory in Japan (just as my Orville is) and I was very familiar with their quality and craftmanship, I agreed to it.

Fast forward a week and I unboxed the guitar yesterday. At first I was a bit sceptical about the Ibanez Wizard neck as I'm used to playing more C shaped hefty profiles but I am happy to report that I have no problems whatsoever adjusting to the neck.

Now my first impression of the guitar is a very good one. Not only does it feel high quality, unplugged it's loud and resonates very well. You strike a chord and you can feel the body of the guitar vibrate against your stomach. It's quite heavy too, the body is made out of Ash just like the one of my 75th Anniversary Telecaster. I have no idea if the whole tonewood thing is true or just imagination but I think Ash has now become my favourite body wood, at least if I judge by both my Fender and now the Ibanez.

EMGs are absolutely not my thing, I know I will put some passive humbuckers in there sooner than later, but I took it out of the case, tuned the strings it came with from Drop A (yes the previous owner is a full on metalhead) up to E-Flat and plugged it in. My oh my did it already sound good!

Now the old set of strings wouldn't do, so I cleaned and oiled the fretboard, put on a fresh set of Elixir 10-52s, tuned again to E-Flat and plugged the guitar in. Fun fact: the axe is from 2008 and has quite the thin neck (5 piece maple/walnut) but that sucker didn't move an inch! Straight like an arrow too.

Now disregard the EMGs, but the guitar sounds great. Harmonically rich with plenty of sustain and heft, yet defined. Similar to my Fender. As said, no idea if it's the ash, but tonewise this is a friggin keeper.

It's on the heavier side, I'd estimate around 3,6 kilos, but not a back breaker. The comfort cuts feel very nice, access to the upper frets is impeccable, the tuning stability is solid, the bridge is easy to adjust and feels good under the hands. String action is ridiculously low and playability is superb.

Now whilst this thing might be as far from a vintage Telecaster as one can go, I wouldn't consider this a metal guitar only. Sure, it's black, it has a thin neck with a flat radius and 24 frets, and yes, you'd blend in perfectly in a metal band with this axe, but you wouldn't look weird playing at a wedding in a suit with this guitar in your hands. It's just a more modern looking Telecaster after all :D

I had an EMG 57/66 set lying around I installed today to replace the 81s it came with. That already made it feel better under the hands, in the long run I'll put passives in. I'll put it to the test next wednesday at rehearsal, if I can survive a 2 hour set on the Wizard neck without any pain or problems in my left hand, then this will replace my Edwards LPC.

What more can I say? Telecasters rule! I have a cheap Harley Benton I'm super happy with, my Fender USA 75th Anniversary one and now this Ibanez. The herd is getting thinner and 3 out of my 8 electrics are now Teles 😬🤔

Anyway, I only have a few pictures for now, I'll take some proper shots together with the Fender soon and post em up here.

Cheers guys!

With the 81 set:

IMG-20220902-WA0020.jpg

With the 57/66 set:

IMG-20220903-WA0021.jpgIMG-20220903-WA0023.jpg

Last edited:

Eric'45

Reaction score
Looks really classy! I'm also not a Fan of active Electronics, so I'd do that modification, too. And that Bridge- it almost looks like a Bass Bridge, really solid and sturdy. Now that could be an important factor contributing to the sound.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Looks really classy! I'm also not a Fan of active Electronics, so I'd do that modification, too. And that Bridge- it almost looks like a Bass Bridge, really solid and sturdy. Now that could be an important factor contributing to the sound.

Might very well be, whatever it is, I'm keeping the guitar. It handled the rehearsal just great, once I put some passives in she'll be my new workhorse! :)

Here's some footage of last rehearsal, we were jamming to In a Gadda da Vida. The FR 1620 into my BluGuitars Amp 1 Iridium through a Marshall 412 with V30s:

Cheers! :)

GuitarIV

Reaction score
nice looking guitar. now seek a triditional tele and you will be set.
Been there, done that! :D
IMG-20220915-WA0013.jpg

That 75th Commemorative Telecaster is one of my favourites. Ash body, just like the Ibanez. Sounds phenomenal too :)

I replaced the electronics today and put in a set of Suhr Doug Aldrich Pickups, did a quick sound test at neighbour friendly levels (it's midnight here in Austria) and I like very much what I'm hearing so far! Will let her rip tomorrow.

All in all very happy with the guitar. Ibanez and especially the Fujigen factory puts out some great stuff! :dude:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Been there, done that! :D
View attachment 115229

That 75th Commemorative Telecaster is one of my favourites. Ash body, just like the Ibanez. Sounds phenomenal too :)

I replaced the electronics today and put in a set of Suhr Doug Aldrich Pickups, did a quick sound test at neighbour friendly levels (it's midnight here in Austria) and I like very much what I'm hearing so far! Will let her rip tomorrow.

All in all very happy with the guitar. Ibanez and especially the Fujigen factory puts out some great stuff! :dude:
i like that indeed. gotta have a traditional tele man. to me, best damn all around guitar ever made.
and yes no matter the price point imo ibanez rules the roost every time. they just cant be beat for
a hard rockin shredin machine.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
I have an 87 Fujigen Strat and it's the best guitar I own, especially since I carefully removed the original wiring harness and pickups and replaced it all w Mojotone noiseless pickups.
I have an idea that I haven't gotten around to about building a Tele around a set of Duncan Blackouts or Emg 57/66's. I played a Jim Root Tele and it was pretty fun.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
that´s a beauty! if you want to explore some telly-ish territories, add a 89/89R to this guitar. It will be by far the most ecletic guitar ever. I have a tele with that configuration and can do H-H to S-S anything in between.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
that´s a beauty! if you want to explore some telly-ish territories, add a 89/89R to this guitar. It will be by far the most ecletic guitar ever. I have a tele with that configuration and can do H-H to S-S anything in between.

I actually already went ahead and replaced the active electronics with passives. I'm rocking a Suhr Aldrich set in this beast, suits the styles we play with the band very well. But thanks for the tip! Might use that in the future :)

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
I actually already went ahead and replaced the active electronics with passives. I'm rocking a Suhr Aldrich set in this beast, suits the styles we play with the band very well. But thanks for the tip! Might use that in the future :)
the 89 has 3 coils, 2 stacked for the single coil and another one for the humbucker. the stacked single coil is pretty much is a SA. the only difference between the 89 and 89R is the reverse stacked coil. the humbucker is a 85, which is much fatter than the 81.