NGD: Jim Root Telecaster... a wolf in sheep's clothing

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
So after owning this guitar for almost a month now I can give you folks a proper review:

IMG-20230310-WA0010.jpgIMG-20230310-WA0019.jpg

So first of all... I've been eyeing a JR Telecaster for years now... just never got the opportunity to find a reasonably priced one. My US Telecaster turned me into a huge fan of the shape, but I wanted one with some full sized humbuckers.

I sold my LP Tribute because I didn't like the tone of the guitar. Thin, scratchy, harsh, nothing like the sound I'm expecting from a Lester at all... even different pickups did nothing to remedy the problem...

Anyway, this bad boy popped up used, the previous owner had the EMGs swapped for Bareknuckle Ragnaroks which are already a pretty penny to buy, the price was right and the Tribute went out the door just one day prior... so I jumped on it.

Let me tell you the feel, fit and finish of this guitar are great. My US Telecaster feels a wee bit better under the hands, but we're talking 10% here at best.

Has some weight to it (Mahogany body) but light enough that it doesn't hurt your back, it's lighter than my Swamp Ash Telly. Nice feeling satin nitro finish already showing some scars and yellowing, great hefty neck profile (I hate thin necks, so this is a huge bonus), very smooth feeling pitch black Ebony board.

Stays in tune perfectly, sounds huge (unlike the Tribute), plays like butter. Very happy I pulled the trigger.

Now the Bareknuckles will have to go, although they sound great, they have a bit too much output and compression for the stuff I play. I also had to install a ground wire, the shop that put the passives in forgot about that hahaha

This has become my new humbucker guitar for the band now. If you have the chance to snag one of these up for a good price, do it! You won't regret it. ;)

I'll post some more pictures once I have the time.

Cheers and keep rocking!

BowerR64

Reaction score
Im thinking about another guitar made of mahogany, im on a mahogany kick right now. Either an EVH one or headless

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Cool! I like that it has no tone knob.

Yes! Simple and to the point :)

Are you running it in a Slipknot tuning?

Actually no, I tune to E-Flat with the band. Previous owner had it set up for drop A sharp tuning, I put new strings on and gave it a full setup and cleaning. There was quite some grime on it, he used it as his live guitar for years (which is always a good sign when a guitar is played a lot)

I'm really blown away by the build quality of this thing. If you blindfold me and tell me it's a US Tele I'd probably believe you. No idea if they are treating these with more care but I can't find a single thing wrong with it. And the Mahogany makes it sound great! Chunky with lots of midrange and a killer lead tone :D

Obi Plexi-nobi

Reaction score
There's a Squier 'Jim Root' Telecaster in town at the local pawn shop as well, but they want $400 for it. Looks and plays nice, but it's a little too pricey for a Squier IMO. They DO haggle with you some there, but I already have plenty of Teles. Didn't realize the Jim Root models had mahogany bodies until I read the specs on them. Cool.

GuitarIV

Reaction score

Harley Benton makes some great budget instruments. I bought one of their 90 quid Telecasters, that was my first encounter with the shape and made me crave more. Now with my US and the Jim Root Telecaster I keep the HB at my grandparents house for when I'm there. No need to take a guitar with me :)

There's a Squier 'Jim Root' Telecaster in town at the local pawn shop as well, but they want $400 for it. Looks and plays nice, but it's a little too pricey for a Squier IMO. They DO haggle with you some there, but I already have plenty of Teles. Didn't realize the Jim Root models had mahogany bodies until I read the specs on them. Cool.

Never tried the Squiers, but apparently they make for a great modding platform. They do have passive pickups and a rosewood board, so I'd personally probably just save up some more and wait for a deal on a Mexi model.

And yeah the Mahogany body seems to give the guitar some serious punch. Nothing traditional about the JR Tele, love it! :D

So had some time on my hands and replaced the Bareknuckles with a spare Set of Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups I had left over from a different project.

Muuuch better. The guitar is still a high gain monster and very clear under distortion, but it lost some compression and got more dynamics back. Reacts better to rolling off the volume pot too. Just what I was looking for. The BKPs sound great but are meant for a completely different style of music than what I play. I'll be selling them.

Here are some pictures:

IMG-20230402-WA0000.jpgIMG-20230402-WA0001.jpgIMG-20230402-WA0002.jpgIMG-20230402-WA0003.jpgIMG-20230402-WA0004.jpg

Can't wait to play it again with the band :D

Cheers!

wmachine

Reaction score
Fender always seems to have struggled with all humbucker offering. In the early 2000s they came out with the Toronado, and then the Toronado GT. I have a Toronado GT. Still has the original Seymour Duncan pups. Sounds great, Plays great. But it has an identity crisis. It sounds like a Gibson. I think that created a marketing problem for Fender. Can't sell Fenders that sound like Gibsons?

AMWts8BYRDqsrY2SBQeQqiGT_PczenyOCQIYLgdzlJKzVwWQhaoUJjhYItrdqy2-oBUvOi2m5KIG_iGd7QAX0dzwNUNNvdRvBxFSREmKcTz-gNn6Dwmrfp9I1qWDv4n7wXTOXpr91WUSnq6VKVM6BhHKuwiN=w483-h859-s-no

AMWts8COLgdhYsCABCRtSFonNn4ObSESL6T3e1icV2F1G3xoievG_Ca0k0lGAyiHfaETTMuQacfj0GsPY5iuyoaAcy3FHC3PQmcxcD04sq4XtRyKKfS0sllZLnjxShkWXIWHggfS6KH4nn9Vbrt9gLAerEf1=w483-h859-s-no

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Well being the idiot I am, I just can't leave things be. Swapped the hardware out for chrome and installed a set of Häussel pickups. Looks way classier now, I love it!

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-12 at 11.50.22 (4).jpeg

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I love mine, but it sits in a case, as I have others that play slightly better.

WillyW

Reaction score
I thought they were interesting geetars, but the EMG's were the big turn off.

I have my gold top FSR to scratch the mahogany tele itch.

Latest posts