• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

NOS Sylvanias in V3...

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
And they DO sound noticeably better then all the CP stuff that I have. JJ, EH, T/S, Sino...etc. Just clearer and more dynamic, and no, I don't smoke shit anymore!:D

GIBSON67

Reaction score
V3 is my PI slot, what is V3 in a DSL? It gets confusing when you say V3 because not all Marshalls have the same tube configuration.

1987 & 1959 V1 Inputs, V2 Tone Stack, V3 Phase Inverter

I like Sylvanias, too. I have a black long plate that sings in all slots.

brp

Reaction score
I have a NOS Sylvania in the PI too, as recommended by MartyStrat54. It sounds great.
Might be the RFT in V1 or both...

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
V3 is my PI slot, what is V3 in a DSL? It gets confusing when you say V3 because not all Marshalls have the same tube configuration.

From my thread in the workbench section...

V1 and V2 are the gain stages,
V3 is the last gain stage and cathode follower
V4 is the PI

I have a NOS Sylvania. I rolled tubes all weekend and I know I must have tried it in V3, but I cant remember what I thought. I was rolling tubes in every position. I should have listened to RiverRatt when he warned me not to do it for very long at a time. I got really frustrated and and gave up. From now on it's one at a time.

Anyway, I'll try it again in V3 and see what I think.

edit: I do remember I didn't like it in V4, but I can't remember why. Also, aren't there different types. Mine is a gray plate with medium plates. (< not sure if I'm saying that right...I'm still very new at this)

Last edited:

Rocktane

Reaction score
I have the Sylvania's in V1 & V2. Besides the stock tubes, all I have on hand to experiment with is a Tungsol, and 2 chinese gt's.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I have the Sylvania's in V1 & V2. Besides the stock tubes, all I have on hand to experiment with is a Tungsol, and 2 chinese gt's.

Rocktane,
Learn from my experience..DEEP SIX the China crap, and other CP stuff, and load her up with GEs..they are cheap and sound 100 times better then that stuff your playing with now. I'm tellin'ya, your amp will sound allot like an old JMP, but with more gain..kick ass tones dude!

Adrian R

Reaction score
How do the Sylvania's compare to the GE's?

Very similar, very clear and dynamic, strong gain, but I would give a slight edge to the GE for low end response...However, they sound great together in my DSLs..

Next I am going to experiment with some black plated Raytheons..I've read great things about them...

Replacing out the CP preamp tubes has hands down has had the biggest, positive impact on tone change.

Rocktane

Reaction score
Very similar, very clear and dynamic, strong gain, but I would give a slight edge to the GE for low end response...However, they sound great together in my DSLs..

Next I am going to experiment with some black plated Raytheons..I've read great things about them...

Replacing out the CP preamp tubes has hands down has had the biggest, positive impact on tone change.

Excellent, the GE's should work great then. I had to bump the resonance up a bit with the Sylvania's.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score

:) '67, I like the "Tubes" on your Avatar way more better....

:cool::cool: TWIN

Adrian R

Reaction score

Dude..
In geometric, chronological order..from left to right, facing the back of the amp. V4 is the PI slot.

cyberpunk409

Reaction score
And they DO sound noticeably better then all the CP stuff that I have. JJ, EH, T/S, Sino...etc. Just clearer and more dynamic, and no, I don't smoke shit anymore!:D
12 years on from this post.......

Just got a 1952 NOS Sylvania Long Black Plate 12AX7 for my Marshall SV20 (an amp that didn't even exist in 2012!)

Not microphonic...... Winning!

It's in V1

Screenshot_20240913-173510.png

Sounds beautiful, can't wait to dime it in two days to hear it in all its beauty.

Latest posts