ohms fluxuation in 1960 cab

• Thread starter charvel2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

charvel2

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
Was playing musical cabinets the other day and wanted to verify the setting on my 1960A
and when in 16 ibm it read like 74 and sort of varied. Has anybody seen that before? Wiggled the jack and eventually went to were it should be. I suspect it's the printed circuit board and am strongly thinking of re-wiring it to mono only at 16ohm's. Any thoughts?

thrawn86

Reaction score
Not an expert on this, but it sounds like a wire is coming loose in there. I'd check all the solder/jack connections and the speakers themselves. If memory serves, the guys who check the impedance for a 16 ohm cab that is wired properly is somewhere in the 13-15 ohm range on a reading......I invite others to verify.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I check my connections from time to time and clean with an electronics contact cleaner. Variances in resistance can happen so it is best t keep an eye on it.
Clean your plugs and jacks, check the wire connections and any quick connects.
Then check the switch board.
Some people do go ahead and hard wire the jacks to speakers.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
That's the problem with the stereo jacks and spade lug connectors...they are inconsistant in their connections.

I was A/B my two sets of GBs and my connections were making my speakers have a slight warble to them...I'm soldering al my connections this weekend. And if it's still there then I'm going to toss the stereo jack for a mono cliff jack.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I have read on this forum from another member who had one of those stereo/mono jack plates go bad , and gave him all sorts of troubles tone wise .... replaced it , no more tone issues ...

But , yes , check your connections , wiring , all things in between head & cab !

my old cab is strait mono @ 16 ohms single input , so i don't have those problems .