One day the JCM 2000s will be worth way more, watch this:

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
You know, you’d think that amps with PCB mounted tube sockets, especially ones with a reputation for the PCB going conductive, would only depreciate. But markets are funny sometimes.
That's because some truths are surfacing about these amps. Not all of them were bad, only a certain portion of them. Marshall corrected the problem with a board update back in the mid 2000s...not all of them before then failed either. To date I've owned 4, and set up a 5th for a friend. Currently I have two. None of them have exhibited any problems, 3 of which were made before 2001.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's because some truths are surfacing about these amps. Not all of them were bad, only a certain portion of them. Marshall corrected the problem with a board update back in the mid 2000s...not all of them before then failed either. To date I've owned 4, and set up a 5th for a friend. Currently I have two. None of them have exhibited any problems, 3 of which were made before 2001.
I gotcha. I just want to be clear, I’m not slagging the JCM 2000s. I had one, it was fine, and I loved it. I regret selling it. I just don’t see myself ever buying one for big money, and I don’t quite understand whatever forces that might precipitate a big price increase.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I gotcha. I just want to be clear, I’m not slagging the JCM 2000s. I had one, it was fine, and I loved it. I regret selling it. I just don’t see myself ever buying one for big money, and I don’t quite understand whatever forces that might precipitate a big price increase.
What forces u might say?: Lmao ..where were you in the 1990s when a mint used 2203/4, even the earlier JMPs, could be had all day for $350-$500? I think that in itself is self evident.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
In 2007, I bought a new Line 6 Vetta HD, and two used Vetta 4x12 cabs. I'd been playing on a JCM 800 2210 for several years. I liked it, but hated the hiss and the clean channel was awful. But if I had known then what I know now, I would have skipped the Vetta and bought a JCM 2000 DSL 100 when they could still be had new, or very close to new.

jchrisf

Reaction score
Are the JCM2000 combos no good? Those are the ones I always see for sale and good prices.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What forces u might say?: Lmao ..where were you in the 1990s when a mint used 2203/4, even the earlier JMPs, could be had all day for $350-$500? I think that in itself is self evident.
:shrug:
And save for the electrolytic caps, those amps could last for decades upon decades. I just don’t foresee many JCM2ks lasting that long. But, then scarcity will make the remaining ones worth more (I’m thinking maybe about 20-30 years down the line).

Because the fact is they sound great. In that sense I get it. I just worry about their longevity, even if they are one of the good ones, and I wonder what would keep other buyers from being concerned.

Pretty soon the earlier JCM2ks are going to start needing new filter caps, and complaints about the labor to have the work done will come to light. I’m curious what that will do to prices, because they are not easy to service.

I’ll watch the video tonight, it’s too loud at my shop to watch videos at work. Maybe it will give me some insight.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 2007, I bought a new Line 6 Vetta HD, and two used Vetta 4x12 cabs. I'd been playing on a JCM 800 2210 for several years. I liked it, but hated the hiss and the clean channel was awful. But if I had known then what I know now, I would have skipped the Vetta and bought a JCM 2000 DSL 100 when they could still be had new, or very close to new.
I used a Vetta rig for a couple years, then got a JCM2000 to replace it! I was very happy about the switch.

Adrian R

Reaction score
And save for the electrolytic caps, those amps could last for decades upon decades. I just don’t foresee many JCM2ks lasting that long. But, then scarcity will make the remaining ones worth more (I’m thinking maybe about 20-30 years down the line).

Because the fact is they sound great. In that sense I get it. I just worry about their longevity, even if they are one of the good ones, and I wonder what would keep other buyers from being concerned.

Pretty soon the earlier JCM2ks are going to start needing new filter caps, and complaints about the labor to have the work done will come to light. I’m curious what that will do to prices, because they are not easy to service.

I’ll watch the video tonight, it’s too loud at my shop to watch videos at work. Maybe it will give me some insight.
Simple. Just replace the mainboard. I did two of them precisely for that reason. Takes about a hour or two and $285. Besides the caps will last a very long time..

Ronquest

Reaction score
What is "worth way more"? Like $100 or $1000? What will a dollar be worth in the future? Will the jcm2000 match inflation? How far in the future is one day?
It will never be a good investment, I'll bet on that. Now if you love them, buy a few and stash them away, just in case.

V-man

Reaction score
I get the sentiment, but it’s a hard prediction. My favorite analogy is my 1943 Remington Rand USGI 1911. it was an old surplus beater sice the 1950s all the way through the 1990s as an archaic relic that wasn’t a staggered mag 9mm (Glock/Beretta). Then Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers hit at the turn of the 2000s and they shot up to 4 figures and have steadily climbed since.

All that said, it was an old POS to the common market for 4-5 decades. Even if something becomes valuable…BIG IF, the “when will it/by how much” questions really make the difference.

V-man

Reaction score
So, what your saying is that we need a video showing EVH actually used a JCM2000.
Without me saying that, that is sort of exactly what I’m saying. The Porsche 914 is still a piece of shit, but it went up by virtue of the fact that 911s have become unobtainable. After adjusting for inflation, you can hardly appreciate how much they’ve gone up most likely. That actually makes me wonder, how much have Pontiac Aztecs gone up after breaking bad?