Only one Marshall on the list..

• Thread starter jeffb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jeffb

Reaction score
Reverb's top sellers of 2023- pedals and amps. Read the criteria in the article.

REVERB TOP 20

specifically, only one Marshall amp on the list....

people keeping them? Or little demand?

Discuss.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the amps on that list are lower priced modelers or solid state amps. The only other all tube head on that list is the PRS MT15. I don’t think that indicates an accelerating trend, it just shows that most people don’t want to pay much for music gear. Of course, the MG series is not really competing against the Orange and Boss offerings.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reverb's top sellers of 2023- pedals and amps. Read the criteria in the article.

REVERB TOP 20

Discuss.
Probably both.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
These kinds of lists mean nothing to me. It's not like everyone shops on Reverb for their musical needs. I'd have to guess only a small fraction of the guitar world shops on there for gear needs. The only thing I have ever bought on there are some Speed knobs for my LP and some knobs for a pedal. I may possibly buy some humbucker rings from there in the near future.

Gutch220

Reaction score
The days of the mass-consumption of big-ass tube amps is over. Most people want smaller amps and/or digital amps they can run into audio interfaces, programs, etc. The giant tube amps are likely considered a luxury upgrade. I'm a bit surprised at some of the pedals on this list thought. Like, how is a Keeley compressor outselling a Rat, or a Boss tuner. These seem like utility pedals everyone has.

If these digital modeling amps/software existed in the 60's, that's what all the bands back then would be using.

6StringMoFo

Reaction score
5ba0cde1-1193-44c1-9f87-328a1f70e6d0_text.gif

Now that I've been trying to record again, I see the value of plugins.

But I have tube amps minus my MS-1 😎

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score

REVERB TOP 20

Discuss.

We have been!😀

jeffb

Reaction score

We have been!😀
Yeah sorry, didn't see it when I posted.

Spcv

Reaction score
Maybe people tend to keep Valve amps and consider most digital and modelling stuff a "flavour of the moment". That would make such gear trendy and as such is more likely to be bought and sold more frequently.

Maybe there is demand for Marshalls and simply no offer - that could be considered good advertisement for the brand («Marshall - it's a keeper»)...;)

LargeBoxSmallBox

Reaction score
It's mostly a function of price. Most of that list are low priced amplifiers. By far, the majority of music gear sold in ANY venue consists of lower priced gear. Typically, a lot of this buying is as gifts for young people who are just starting on their musical journey. Many of them do not continue down that road, so the used market is also littered with lower priced gear. Check Craigslist, it will bear this idea out. Marshalls and other top amps are considered professional gear, and are purchased by people who are either pros, or trying to be pros. When was the last time you saw a true professional guitar player on a big stage using an Orange Micro Terror or a BOSS Katana? The other contingent buying higher end gear is older folks who now have the budget to afford what they have always wanted. I think it is a credit to the huge appeal of the SV20 that it is in that list at all. Just my opinion...

LCW

Reaction score
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Marshalls (new) are OVERPRICED in the US. The distributor is to blame. But the result is 20w lunchbox amps for 1750 and 2203 ressiues for almost 4K. Marshall deserves what it gets and with the ownership, who knows what they'll do about it.

kysrsoze

Reaction score
Granted that SV20H is awesome and is on that list, but I think the point here is Marshall really doesn't have anything compelling to compete in the volume portion of the market. I started on a Lead 12, close to 40 years ago, and they sold a lot of lower-end amps over the years.

Companies in various industries have high-dollar, halo items that appeal to a small portion of the market. But it's the less expensive, lower end of the market that gets teenagers/beginners into the brand, and also where most of them make most of their profit. People can say it's only high-end amps that matter, but they don't sell a ton and Marshall just had a fire sale on many of them. If they were immune to this, they wouldn't be trying to sell so many bluetooth speakers and lifestyle wear. You can only sell so many mini fridges.

It's not like all the items on that list are junk. A number of them are great amps, regardless of price. And the companies that sell them are profiting on volume.

Last edited:
Reactions: LCW

8bit Barry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think most people buy sell from Reverb when moving gear on. It's difficult to get a clear understanding of trends I guess. I know a lot of people I have met (in the few shops I go into these days, they're mostly all closed) buy cheaper modellers etc because they don't understand the second hand tube amp market at all, or have never even seen tube amps played properly. Conversely, a few months later, many then spend hundreds of pounds on pedals. They also don't understand they could buy a second hand Marshall SV20, get a Bugera attenuator (£90) practice at home with tube power and never look back.

Latest posts