Orange amp comparison with 12 amps

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I'm an Orange fan. I have 12! I know it's a lot but I guess I just couldn't stop collecting. The fact that the small ones are affordable doesn't help too! :)

These are the amps I currently own:

- Rockerverb 50 MKIII
- AD30 (very new to my collection, got it last week...)
- TH30
- Rocker 15 Terror
- Brent Hinds Terror
- Dark Terror
- Jim Root Terror
- OR15
- Tiny Terror
- Dual Terror
- Micro Terror
- Micro Dark

They are all full tube amps except for the micro amps as those are hybrid amps. They all truly have their own unique sound going on. Some amps like the Dark Terror and TH30 sound kind of similar but still, they do their own thing.

Since I have all these amps I really wanted to make a comparison with clean, crunch and high gain tones so that's what I've done. It was a lot of work but satisfying for sure! Please enjoy and let me know which one was your favorite:

Eric'45

Reaction score
I am an Orange Fan! Even with my Marshalls, i use Orange Cabs and I have the Rocker 15 combo with a 10'' speaker. With that, it has it's own unique sound, but with my PPC212, it is something else!

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two Micro Dark Terror's and they are loud enough to aggressively carve one ear from the side of your head and sew it onto the back of your butt without you even know it. These 20w hybrids are LOUD!

One gets cranked, it's got a tag on the top which says "#1":
full

The other one with the matching speaker as my toity rig, which, of course is called, "#2":

full

I uses these with their own Xotic SL-Drive (pre-input) and TCE Hall of Fame reverb (FX loop) boxes.

Also, I have a black t-shirt that has the Orange brand logo onnit, so that my people are reminded of my super-ultra-coolness.
:yesway:

jeffb

Reaction score
For crunch sounds- AD30 by far for my tastes, with the Brett Hinds and OR15 runners up.

For cleans, the Rockerverb was my fave.

Best value- Micro Terror. I had one for awhile.

Great demo.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I am an Orange Fan! Even with my Marshalls, i use Orange Cabs and I have the Rocker 15 combo with a 10'' speaker. With that, it has it's own unique sound, but with my PPC212, it is something else!
The PPC112's are incredible sounding cabs, and the price is still the same $279 that they've been for a number of years. Everything I plug into it sounds great. I would think it obvious that the 212 sounds even bigger. :yesway:

Last edited:

anitoli

Reaction score
I have two Micro Dark Terror's and they are loud enough to aggressively carve one ear from the side of your head and sew it onto the back of your butt without you even know it. These 20w hybrids are LOUD!

One gets cranked, it's got a tag on the top which says "#1":
full

The other one with the matching speaker as my toity rig, which, of course is called, "#2":

full

I uses these with their own Xotic SL-Drive (pre-input) and TCE Hall of Fame reverb (FX loop) boxes.

Also, I have a black t-shirt that has the Orange brand logo onnit, so that my people are reminded of my super-ultra-coolness.
:yesway:
The amp called #2 is sitting on top of a toilet..........

Eric'45

Reaction score
I would think it obvious that the 212 sounds even bigger.
Oh yes it does! It's heavy and cumbersome, though:shrug:
I'm not in need for a 4x12, maybe I'll get another PPC212 in the future, like a 2-part Halfstack :naughty:
You don't really play Guitar in the Bathroom :rofl:or do you?

colchar

Reaction score
I'm an Orange fan. I have 12! I know it's a lot but I guess I just couldn't stop collecting. The fact that the small ones are affordable doesn't help too! :)

These are the amps I currently own:

- Rockerverb 50 MKIII
- AD30 (very new to my collection, got it last week...)
- TH30
- Rocker 15 Terror
- Brent Hinds Terror
- Dark Terror
- Jim Root Terror
- OR15
- Tiny Terror
- Dual Terror
- Micro Terror
- Micro Dark

They are all full tube amps except for the micro amps as those are hybrid amps. They all truly have their own unique sound going on. Some amps like the Dark Terror and TH30 sound kind of similar but still, they do their own thing.

Since I have all these amps I really wanted to make a comparison with clean, crunch and high gain tones so that's what I've done. It was a lot of work but satisfying for sure! Please enjoy and let me know which one was your favorite:

That was really well done.

I love Orange amps but am without one so am currently trying to decide whether to get a Rocker 15 Terror, a Dual Terror, or to grab an AD30 combo (had the head and stupidly traded it in towards a guitar).

If I get a Rocker 15 or DT I will need to buy a cab. If I get an AD30 combo, the speakers are taken care of and it will cost less than a head & cab setup.

colchar

Reaction score
So further to my post above, I can get an AD30 combo or a Rocker 15 Terror + 1x12 cab for almost identical prices but I can't decide which one to get.

I really liked the AD30 I used to have and the volume & gain controls make the volume controllable (I already have a stupidly loud vintage Traynor) but I can't really open the amp up. On the other hand, the Rocker 15 Terror is only 15 watts that can be scaled down even further for home use.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
So further to my post above, I can get an AD30 combo or a Rocker 15 Terror + 1x12 cab for almost identical prices but I can't decide which one to get.

I really liked the AD30 I used to have and the volume & gain controls make the volume controllable (I already have a stupidly loud vintage Traynor) but I can't really open the amp up. On the other hand, the Rocker 15 Terror is only 15 watts that can be scaled down even further for home use.

Just keep in mind that the Rocker 15 has a different sound, more sort of fluffy and fat and also a bit more gain. The AD30 has less gain but more bite.

colchar

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that the Rocker 15 has a different sound, more sort of fluffy and fat and also a bit more gain. The AD30 has less gain but more bite.

True.

Since making the post above I've been listening to videos of AD30s and Rockverbs, and I have to say that I like what I am hearing from the Rockerverbs (my computer sound is run through a Kenwood mini system that has excellent sound, so I am hearing much more than one would on computer speakers). Maybe that is the way to go then.

In that spirit, I am going to buy the Rocker 15 and use it for now. That will scratch my Orange itch and will allow me to take my time to try a Rockerverb for myself and then, if I want one, I can take my time finding a used 50 watter at a decent price.

anitoli

Reaction score
Man i bought a Rockerverb 100 MKIII a few weeks ago and must say this amp is a beast. Built like a tank, every knob does what it should, huge x-formers, all tube even the FX loop and verb, and sounds like a like a pissed of herd of elephants moving your way, Thick, fat, heavy, bottom end with enough highs that it cuts right through.

One thing i really liked was it pairs really well with a Marshall. The distortion voicing is different enough that it alllows both heads to be clearly heard but the sound's compliment one another.

For $2100 brand new this made in the UK badass is a steal.

colchar

Reaction score
Man i bought a Rockerverb 100 MKIII a few weeks ago and must say this amp is a beast. Built like a tank, every knob does what it should, huge x-formers, all tube even the FX loop and verb, and sounds like a like a pissed of herd of elephants moving your way, Thick, fat, heavy, bottom end with enough highs that it cuts right through.

One thing i really liked was it pairs really well with a Marshall. The distortion voicing is different enough that it alllows both heads to be clearly heard but the sound's compliment one another.

For $2100 brand new this made in the UK badass is a steal.

Congrats!

The more I listen to vids and check out the specs, the more I think the 50 watter should be my next Orange. I had a thing for the AD30, but think the Rockerverb is better suited to my tastes. It isn't that cheap here when new though. For us, the 50 watt 2x12 combo is $3199 and the 50 watt head is $2749 (the 100 watt head is $2899). Because of those prices I will buy on the used market.

On another note, the cab came in today so as soon as I finish some work I am going to plug in the Rocker 15 Terror. I got the 1x12 Traynor Dark Horse cab, but would love to find a 2x12 Traynor Iron Horse cab or one of the YCS 4x12s.

Mystic38

Reaction score
The AD30 combo is a very versatile animal with gain and volume for both channels.. there is no doubt that would be my choice (I have the AD30HTC)

The new Rocker design has the fx loop, but the natural channel can be uninspiring as its response is flat and really needs a tc spark, or other buffer/clean boost.. also, being an el84 design, the dirty channel while still dynamic and open lacks the tonal character of the original Rocker 30 at volume. (I have Rocker 30).

Sadly for me the best two channel amp would be the clean channel from the TH30 and the dirty channel of the Rocker 30. lol

essentially i am in love with the R30 dirty channel, but the two channel ad30 is simply too useful an amp.

Latest posts