Orange Stamp - Backup Amp

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I got an EHX Howitzer pedal amp for a backup up that sounded good but didnt take pedals well so I returned it. Theres not alot of affordable solutions in this low dollar price range so my attention went to the Orange Stamp as a possibility. I'm not an Orange fan I dont like the woofy tone and the shape knob for EQ so I was leery about getting a Stamp until I saw a video demo of one by @AlvisX, I was like yeah if Alvis can make it sound good it must be good! So I got it delivered yesterday and I was disappointed with the woofy tone and shape knob, but since I think I got it figured out. I like mids so I tend to dial them in, but with Orange when you dial in mids it dials out highs giving you that woofy tone. I read the manual which explained the shape knob so I now understand it better, I was indeed dialing things wrong. So here's what Orange says: "turning clockwise reduces mids and produces brighter tones, turning anticlockwise increases mids and smooths the treble". So now I have the shape knob at 1 oclock which gets rid of the woofy tone at the minimal expense of mids but not terribly, when I pump the gain up it gets a little woofy again so I dial the shape knob to 2 oclock to fix that. Now this thing is sounding good! I'll try it next week at band practice into our sound system and see how it handles, I expect it to work well! Also to mention its got lots of great features, a tube preamp, dual volumes, effects loop, line out and cab sim for headphone or mixer use! :yesway:

e4A8mKB.jpg

Zxcu2RZ.jpg

K9Merc

Reaction score
Hope it works for your band! I have never tried one but have heard good things. If that doesn’t work out I would absolutely recommend the Amp1 by BluGuitar. It’s expensive, but they sound great as a stand alone and definitely a back up.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hope it works for your band! I have never tried one but have heard good things. If that doesn’t work out I would absolutely recommend the Amp1 by BluGuitar. It’s expensive, but they sound great as a stand alone and definitely a back up.
BluGuitar Amp1 is my main gigging amp lol, the Stamp is the backup :yesway:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes a little foolin with ,to dial it in . But yeah, that 1o'clock area is the sweet spot
I think I have the gain around 9-10 o'clock

Saved my ass a couple weeks ago when my Peavey was cutting out at the last minute before showtime

TheKman76

Reaction score
I modified mine to completely remove the tone circuit with the footswitch, was a big improvement.
Been some time since I used it actually, might break it out again this weekend.

Part of my experimentation with pre amp + power amp for pedal boards included an Effectrode Blackbird paired with a TC Electronics BAM-200 bass amp. This combination with any decent cab is huge.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We live in amazing times gear wise.

It's great to be able to have something like that as a spare .....and not be chained to carrying an extra head if you really don't want to

My Orange power supply is a "smart" PS ,like a laptop computer supply ,where you can plug it into any wall voltage ,with the right plug adaptor ........no need for a transformer
I carry this amp traveling overseas ...so when I get to the festival with the less than desirable backline , I'll just pull the speaker cable and jack into the Orange

Last edited:

Rozman62

Reaction score
Ya... I take my stamp to gigs as a backup. I've had to break it out once last year. Used it as a home office practice amp with my Orange PPC112 cab for a awhile but grew tired of the tone. Shape and gain around 1 o'clock was the sweet spot for me. Convenient little unit for a gig back up amp.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
I think thats an Orange thing. I had a Tiny Terror amp and it was very nice dont get me wrong. But it seemed the sweet spot on the tone control was allways to wooly yet turning the tone up made it brighter but lost the sweetness of the mids. I tried swapping a couple of the .047 caps for .022 but I wasnt completly happy. Sold it to a freind.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Did some tinkering last night and hooked up the Stamp with my Zoom pedal and got all kinds of cool tones, reverb, chorus, delay, overdrive. I dont think I like the Stamp gain structure that much so I leave it at 11 oclock for an edge of breakup and use the Zoom overdrive which is more pleasing. Also tried the Stamp effects loop with the Zoom but I think the Zoom sounded better out front. I'm looking forward to trying the Stamp at band volume to see how it performs.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I tried out the Stamp at practice last night through our sound system and it sounded really good, my bandmates were like hey are you gonna make it my main rig instead of the BluGuitar, I was like well its supposed to be a backup. I'll use it some more and see...

The Stamp is a fraction of the cost of the BluGuitar, I could sell the BluGuitar and get a second Stamp.

Last edited:

Guitaraficionado74

Reaction score
I just got a Laney Loudpedal, to use as a backup to whatever tube head I use on gigs (mostly Vintage Modern, occasionally JMP's).
The Laney sounds amazing straight out of the box. But in a band mix, I found it to lack 'depth' - it sure is a big difference to the 3D-sound of my tube heads. So now I put an EQ pedal in front of the solid state Laney - hoping to make it cut thru better. Will be testing that soon.

mj6thbuif

Reaction score
I used the Stamp as a backup for a while which I liked. But ultimately it was not Marshally enough for me. Ended up replacing it with a Quilter Superblock UK, which was def more Marshally. I ended up selling the SBUK as well due to it lacking in gain when using my Tele. Now looking at getting the Laney Loudpedal.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I used the Stamp as a backup for a while which I liked. But ultimately it was not Marshally enough for me. Ended up replacing it with a Quilter Superblock UK, which was def more Marshally. I ended up selling the SBUK as well due to it lacking in gain when using my Tele. Now looking at getting the Laney Loudpedal.
Im not a fan of the Orange gain so I use an OD pedal to fix that to get a more Marshally sound. :yesway:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I just emailed Marshall they need to make something like the Orange Stamp! I really like it, $200 new, 20 watts, dual volume, loop! The only thing that would make it better is if it sounded like a Marshall, was considering getting a Guvnor pedal to go into it to accomplish this. Is the Guvnor the best pedal to get there?

Latest posts