Origin 20 owners, what are your go to settings for a Fresh Cream tone?

asd123asd234sdrf

Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm looking to approximate that great Clapton tone from Fresh Cream with my Origin 20, and I'm wondering what other Origin owners would set theirs to to get into that ballpark. I've spent years chasing Page tones, and have gotten close enough for my taste with the Origin (vintage preamp and power tubes) and a Chase Tone Secret + R0 LP.

I've considered just trying to get a JTM45, but I realized I'm probably better served by actually playing what I have and working on technique, so that's what I'm doing.

Note that I'm running through a Captor X and using IRs out to headphones. Not ideal, but play the hand you're dealt. It does give me lots of tweakability from a speaker/cab standpoint though, for little to no money, so I'm definitely taking recommendations on IRs as well. Currently experimenting with many of the stock Two Notes ones, and just got some Ownhammer ones that sound promising.

Thanks!

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
For Cream, Clapton turns his treble a way down on his guitar.

The Origin is your pedal taker. I'd search out something Friedman. I have used their pedals for Marshall amp tones with my Origin.

Friedman Dirty Shirley pedal is your JTM pedal, Small Box is Plexi and BE-OD is the JCM800.

However they are the same price as an Origin 20 in some places.

I'd hunt up some IRs based on each song you are playing also. Clapton Cream IRs for example.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've considered just trying to get a JTM45, but I realized I'm probably better served by actually playing what I have and working on technique, so that's what I'm doing.
If you want a bit of JTM45 mojo from your O20, pop in a pair of KT66 power tubes.
Got a pair in mine. :yesway:

o20h09.jpg

asd123asd234sdrf

Reaction score
If you want a bit of JTM45 mojo from your O20, pop in a pair of KT66 power tubes.
I didn't realize I could! No biasing or anything needed I'm guessing? That is definitely going to happen in the near future!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize I could! No biasing or anything needed I'm guessing? That is definitely going to happen in the near future!
Cathode biased like the Studio 20w series and the DSL20.
Takes any pair of octal based tubes.
I've tried a bunch - from 6V6 to 6550's.
No biasing required, just plug and play.

asd123asd234sdrf

Reaction score
Well I may not be buying a new amp, but I'm probably going to be dropping some coin on tubes :)

asd123asd234sdrf

Reaction score
So back to our regularly scheduled programming.

For a neck pickup woman tone, clearly it's mostly about rolling down the neck tone. Done and dusted.

But for the base crunchy Marshall tone, for a non-woman tone bridge tone, what would you guys set your Origin to? I believe EC would dime everything but the bass, and plug into the normal channel. The Origin is clearly different from the JTMs and Super Leads he was using, so I when I do the same, I'm definitely still not quite there.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So back to our regularly scheduled programming.

For a neck pickup woman tone, clearly it's mostly about rolling down the neck tone. Done and dusted.

But for the base crunchy Marshall tone, for a non-woman tone bridge tone, what would you guys set your Origin to? I believe EC would dime everything but the bass, and plug into the normal channel. The Origin is clearly different from the JTMs and Super Leads he was using, so I when I do the same, I'm definitely still not quite there.
The Origin Tilt control is supposed to mimic the 4-holer channel blending.
Have you tried the Tilt & Presence, and not just the TMB?
If that's still not getting you where you want, try an EQ in the loop to boost/cut more specific frequencies.