Origin 50 vs 2266 Vintage Modern

• Thread starter Cedric
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cedric

Reaction score
TLDR- I have a JCM800 Studio. I have an Origin 50. I have the opportunity to get a 2206 vintage modern if I return the Origin. Does the JCM800 cover old and new Marshall well, or will I be giving up something great with the Origin or the Vint Modern?

I recently got an Origin 50. I love the sound, I have a Boss TAE for attenuating it if I need to get the volume down, and the silent playing feature with no load just makes my day. I also have a JCM800 Lead Studio. My thinking was Origin for low gain older stuff and JCM for ACDC, 80s hair, etc.

That said- I recently did some horse-trading and have the money for a Vintage Modern 2266 that I came across- if I return the Origin.

I don't have a lot of experience with older Marshall's as far as playing goes. Those of you with more experience-Is the Origin 50 redundant compared to the Vint Modern, or the JCM? Like, will the JCM do it 'all'? I'm still about 15 days within my return period and, well, 800 US is 800 US. I don't trust my ears or experience enough to know if I'm going to be missing something by returning the Origin - especially since I can silently play, etc through the TAE or just the line out, if I want to.

I'm a musical polyglot- I may play Johnny Cash, or Deep Purple, Cream, etc . for half an hour, and then play some Scorpians, Micheal Schenker, or AC/DC, or maybe some Jeff Beck or SRV type noodling over my looper. I got a Marshall because, for the most part, I love their sound in 70s-80s rock and hair metal. I know the JCM covers that with no problem, I just don't know if the Origin (or the Vint Modern, if I get it) is just another amp sitting on my amp stand taking up space that I don't really need due to space concerns.

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
I would take a Vintage Modern over an Origin all day, every day..

/Thread

Not even close, and an easy call from a guy who has never played either.

In terms of what they are, both are actually tribute amps. The Origin as I understand it is (sort of) plexi-ish, and the Vintage Modern (or some substantial portion of the design) is a JTM with a stick of dynamite up its ass. In other words, neither does what its inspiration does… just something sort lf like it. I prefer the JMP all day to the JTM, but neither of these amps are either of those things. if I don’t have a 1959 or a 2203, I probably want a 2555 or maybe a 2210. If not a 2555/2210, Maybe a 410H or 2466. I could go on for quite some time before that choice lands on an Origin.

Cedric

Reaction score
Too bad it wasn't the 2466 100 watt VM.

I would still take a VM 2266 over an orgin
Even though my attenuator (BOSS TAE) would handle the 100w version, I don't need 100w as a home player, plus, the 2266 im looking at is lightly used and in great condition from a person that I trust, otherwise I wouldn't be able to swing it, cost wise.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 2266 im looking at is lightly used and in great condition from a person that I trust
I can't comment on the VM, but I have an origin that I really like, and I have some amps that do the 800 thing.
If you have access to compare your O50 to the VM, I say do just that - and decide for yourself. :yesway:

Cedric

Reaction score

"-VMan-​

Not even close, and an easy call from a guy who has never played either.​

In terms of what they are, both are actually tribute amps. The Origin as I understand it is (sort of) plexi-ish, and the Vintage Modern (or some substantial portion of the design) is a JTM with a stick of dynamite up its ass. In other words, neither does what its inspiration does… just something sort lf like it. I prefer the JMP all day to the JTM, but neither of these amps are either of those things. if I don’t have a 1959 or a 2203, I probably want a 2555 or maybe a 2210. If not a 2555/2210, Maybe a 410H or 2466. I could go on for quite some time before that choice lands on an Origin."​

LOL, so, if I want to make some more classic lower gain sounds, but still want to ratchet it up a bit, the 2266 would be a better choice, both sound-wise, and construction/quality-wise? I'm a bit of a nerd- the idea that Marshall amps are made near Bletchley Park, where the Enigma machine was built, is just cool as hell.

67mike

Reaction score
Even though my attenuator (BOSS TAE) would handle the 100w version, I don't need 100w as a home player, plus, the 2266 im looking at is lightly used and in great condition from a person that I trust, otherwise I wouldn't be able to swing it, cost wise.
The 100 watt version is only 77 watts and the 50 watt version is about 36 watts....meaning they are relatively quiet Marshall amps.

Very good amps, you need to read up a bit on how to dial them in, they are not everything at noon, amps..

V-man

Reaction score

"-VMan-​

Not even close, and an easy call from a guy who has never played either.​

In terms of what they are, both are actually tribute amps. The Origin as I understand it is (sort of) plexi-ish, and the Vintage Modern (or some substantial portion of the design) is a JTM with a stick of dynamite up its ass. In other words, neither does what its inspiration does… just something sort lf like it. I prefer the JMP all day to the JTM, but neither of these amps are either of those things. if I don’t have a 1959 or a 2203, I probably want a 2555 or maybe a 2210. If not a 2555/2210, Maybe a 410H or 2466. I could go on for quite some time before that choice lands on an Origin."​

LOL, so, if I want to make some more classic lower gain sounds, but still want to ratchet it up a bit, the 2266 would be a better choice, both sound-wise, and construction/quality-wise? I'm a bit of a nerd- the idea that Marshall amps are made near Bletchley Park, where the Enigma machine was built, is just cool as hell.

The Origin is not a real plexi and will not do a real plexi tone, though as a tribute amp may get you something close enough for your tastes. A VM is not a JTM, though as a ”hot-rodded” tribute amp of the JTM it may get you something close enough for your tastes as a JTM tone or possibly a plexi tone.

Seeing how both are unique “inspired-by” flavors that don’t replicate the originals, you may like the tone of one over the other… possibly even the Origin over the VM, but not many people will share that sentiment, and you will have a much easier time selling the VM at a respectable return than you will the origin.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I’ve owned a VM 2266 and matching 425B 4x12, a VM 2266C combo, and an Origin 50C. All three are good amps. I really liked the low power options on the Origin but I had no real experience playing it at higher volumes to comment on its louder tones.

I really liked my VM’s, especially the head and 4x12. It would do JTM (old school) Marshall tone in LDR mode and higher gain JCM800 type tones in HDR mode. I loved the glassy KT66 tones in LDR with an OD pedal.

My first Vintage Modern really encouraged me to own other KT66 powered Marshall’s.

RLW59

Reaction score
Heresy warning.

You have eclectic tastes and you're not a Marshall diehard. Johnny Cash and SRV aren't particularly well served by any Marshall amp (well maybe a Club and Country for SRV, although he never used his all by itself).

The SC20's low sensitivity input can get you fairly close to Plexi gain levels. That amp can cover all the Marshall sounds you want reasonably well, especially since you don't seem to demand absolute accuracy.

Ditch the Ori50 and get a Fender (or Fender-ish) as your secondary amp.

(Before you do something that drastic, have you tried the SC20's low input with the master all the way up? If not, try it and see if it gets you close enough to covering all the Marshall bases.)

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
,………. have you tried the SC20's low input with the master all the way up? If not, try it and see if it gets you close enough to covering all the Marshall bases.)
I’ve tried the low sensitivity input in my SC20 a number of times, with both volumes dimmed. It doesn’t sound anything like a Plexi imo.

Not even close.

colchar

Reaction score
Vintage Modern gets that VH tones with the detail up. Low dynamic mode is kinda like acdc highway to hell also sounds great with single coils lots of head room.Best with green backs.

See my post up above? Notice the part where I say that I still regret selling the combo that I had? Based on that, will you please STFU already? Seriously man, you're killing me here.

:slap:

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Heresy warning.

You have eclectic tastes and you're not a Marshall diehard. Johnny Cash and SRV aren't particularly well served by any Marshall amp (well maybe a Club and Country for SRV, although he never used his all by itself).

The SC20's low sensitivity input can get you fairly close to Plexi gain levels. That amp can cover all the Marshall sounds you want reasonably well, especially since you don't seem to demand absolute accuracy.

Ditch the Ori50 and get a Fender (or Fender-ish) as your secondary amp.

(Before you do something that drastic, have you tried the SC20's low input with the master all the way up? If not, try it and see if it gets you close enough to covering all the Marshall bases.)
Well, a JTM45 is a hot rodded tweed, and the VM is a hot rodded JTM.

V-man

Reaction score
I’ve tried the low sensitivity input in my SC20 a number of times, with both volumes dimmed. It doesn’t sound anything like a Plexi imo.

Not even close.
This. Not the first time I have read this “2203 Lo input is basically a Plexi” statement and that doesn’t square w my experience at all. The Lo input is the ultimate pedal platform, second only to one of those infamous Fender amps. My 1959RR does NOT get along w pedals on any of its 4 inputs nearly as well as my 2203 JMP does on its Hi input. It also sounds completely pissed off and I often wish I had another 1959 to compare w to see if mine somehow has more gain.

RLW59

Reaction score

Not even close.

This. Not the first time I have read this “2203 Lo input is basically a Plexi” statement and that doesn’t square w my experience at all. The Lo input is the ultimate pedal platform, second only to one of those infamous Fender amps. My 1959RR does NOT get along w pedals on any of its 4 inputs nearly as well as my 2203 JMP does on its Hi input. It also sounds completely pissed off and I often wish I had another 1959 to compare w to see if mine somehow has more gain.

I've never owned a 2203/2204 or an SC20 so I was just parroting the "conventional wisdom".

Sometimes I forget the Abe Lincoln quote that "one shouldn't believe everything they read on the internet".

I have no experience with Ori's or VM's so I won't regurgitate what I've read about them.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. Not the first time I have read this “2203 Lo input is basically a Plexi” statement and that doesn’t square w my experience at all. The Lo input is the ultimate pedal platform, second only to one of those INFAMOUS Fender amps………….
I think maybe you meant to say “famous” and not “infamous”, when describing Fender amps, but I could be wrong. Maybe you just don’t like Fender amps?

Latest posts