Original dust cover for small-box JTM/JMP/etc?

• Thread starter AML
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AML

Reaction score
Do we know if Marshall made dust covers for their amps in the 1960s? The equivalent of what they now sell here: https://marshall.com/shop/spares/dust-covers/head-dust-covers/jtm45-2245-1987x-dust-cover

I've got a '67 JMP and it came to me 20 years ago with a greeny-blue vinyl cover. No logo. Not at all modern manufacture, it's some kind of woven plastic affair. It's ... not what you would call pretty. :cool:But it's definitely got a 60s/70s vibe to it.

It's also the exact size for a smallbox amp. I've never seen another, but then I realised that I don't think I've ever seen any old Marshall dust covers.

I'll take and post a photo later.

ken Tucky

Reaction score
Wow, if that is the real deal how cool is that? Never seen one from that long ago so I can't confirm if it's a genuine Marshall product but I'm certain some of the gurus here will be able to comment. That said, maybe post some pics of your amp too? I'm positive others would enjoy seeing your 67 (gut shots are always appreciated).

AML

Reaction score
The thing is that I can't remember seeing another one, or any old-looking dust cover. So I suppose Marshall didn't make them back then?

I think there are some old catalogues reprinted in the Doyle book, so I'll see if there's any sign of 'accessories'.

As for the amp, I will definitely post up plenty of photos, as I am doing a complete documentation, here's a gut shot for now...

inside1.jpg

ken Tucky

Reaction score
The thing is that I can't remember seeing another one, or any old-looking dust cover. So I suppose Marshall didn't make them back then?

I think there are some old catalogues reprinted in the Doyle book, so I'll see if there's any sign of 'accessories'.

As for the amp, I will definitely post up plenty of photos, as I am doing a complete documentation, here's a gut shot for now...

View attachment 138938
Nice! That looks super clean. Yes, please do post more pics. I'd love to hear from the experts regarding any of their assessments as I'm not adept enough to distinguish what if anything has been replaced or otherwise messed with. To my eye it certainly looks straight.

Reactions: AML

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
I also have a similar cover for a 1966 jtm100 pa (45/100) . It is almost yours . Like you unsure if these were original or not . I got it with the amp when I bought it. It does appear to be very old and fits perfectly. I always wonder if it was original or what the story with these covers .

Link to pic sharing thing below highlightEd.
<a href="https://ibb.co/qjWJJ9y"> . sorry i have troubleupload pics on here and even with this image sharing working. Mine is slightly different than yours pictured.

Last edited:

neikeel

Reaction score
The amp is fantastic. If I had it I might feel the need to change the bias caps (not for electronic reasons - just looks!) and the screen resistors are necessary and neatly done. Rarely see a cleaner less messed with 50w smallbox plexi, could almost use that as a reference picture for builders and restorers.

AML

Reaction score
Oh and I think the cover is an original but for a contemporary 60s Park 50
Aha, I'll do some sniffing around on that over the weekend.

On the bias caps, I could use a pair of old Erie caps that I have in my bits box, and deconstruct the outer wrap to 'wrap around' these newer Nichicons. (Although I think the Erie caps I have are '70s and not correct anyway?)

neikeel

Reaction score
I often ponder the re-wrap!

BTW don't you have a set of pinstripe cabs to go with that head?