Other than guitar what do you like?

• Thread starter mrjones2004x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Maybe the wrong place for this post but hopefully will get some traction.

Been a member here for some years.
Wondered what other interests people have except guitars/music etc?

Myself, I’m a martial artist. Been training Wing Chun for nearly 4 years.
I’m grade 8 out of 12 in the system we follow and just starting to learn my 3rd form and have been doing basic weapons training for last 6 months. Some long pole and butterfly swords. Quite enjoy wooden dummy technique but it’s really difficult to master.
Love how it’s self offence and not self defence. Attack and block simultaneously.
Originally I learnt the basics 20 years ago with an independent teacher who was insane and thought showing us extremely dangerous techniques was best way.
Restarting 20 plus years later learning how to end a fight immediately, reading your opponent, using their force against them no matter your strength or size.
So interesting as a concept and way of thinking.
Only ever had to use once in life and yes it’s very different in real life to sparing and training but worked quickly and effectively with no injuries except pride.

Anyway enough of me. What other hobbies you guys have you’re passionate about?

Sped up video of first form few years back

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I got into building guitars and speaker cabs, I accumulated most of those tools building clocks and restoring antique clocks.

1909 International Time Recorder (later known as IBM) timecard clock:
IMG_1431-s.JPG
1929 International Time Recorder school clock:
20210603_195407-s.jpg
Designed and built this wall clock out of wood and the mech from a non-functioning grandmother clock:
20170528_102810-s.jpg
And I made this clock from scratch with brass AA coins for dial numbers when I got a year sober (the first time...)
20180317_092451-s.jpg

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Before I got into building guitars and speaker cabs, I accumulated most of those tools building clocks and restoring antique clocks.

1909 International Time Recorder (later known as IBM) timecard clock:
View attachment 111182
1929 International Time Recorder school clock:
View attachment 111181
Designed and built this wall clock out of wood and the mech from a non-functioning grandmother clock:
View attachment 111179
And I made this clock from scratch with brass AA coins for dial numbers when I got a year sober (the first time...)
View attachment 111180

Honestly one hobby I never expected. Some great work too. I love mechanical watches so can appreciate what these are.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score

I’m grade 8 out of 12 in the system we follow and just starting to learn my 3rd form and have been doing basic weapons training for last 6 months. Some long pole and butterfly swords. Quite enjoy wooden dummy technique but it’s really difficult to master.
Love how it’s self offence and not self defence. Attack and block simultaneously.
Originally I learnt the basics 20 years ago with an independent teacher who was insane and thought showing us extremely dangerous techniques was best way.
Restarting 20 plus years later learning how to end a fight immediately, reading your opponent, using their force against them no matter your strength or size.
Only ever had to use once in life and yes it’s very different in real life to sparing and training but worked quickly and effectively with no injuries except pride.

Great question! Reading, writing, yoga, hiking, biking, pro football, March Madness, chess. Surprised no one mentioned wanking. Dunno if that will get past the censors. ;^)

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Golf.

Used to be a scratch golfer, but haven't had the time to maintain that for quite a while. I'm 60 and play once a week now. Shot 76 Sunday with a heat index of 116 on the back nine. I can live with that.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
March Madness is the term for the annual US college basketball championship tournament held, unsurprisingly, in March. It's truly a wonderful event. Eight teams play for four spots. The winners then join a field of 64 teams, who play a total of 48 games over four days. It's a heck of a lot of fun! The 16 winners then play over the next two weekends to determine the champion. This year, Kansas defeated North Carolina in a thriller. You can fill out brackets on ESPN and other websites. Check it out!

G the wildman

Reaction score

I once worked with a lethal man. He was a martial artist and liked to use the strength of his opponent’s against them.

He told me an awful story about a guy that was out to get him for whatever stupid reason.

He said he saw the guy running at him in a bar. My friend was leaning on the bar. He said just as he reached me I side stepped took the back of his head and lined his face up with the edge of the bar. . . The fight was over.

Not really my thing I am more for flower power. But I get it it can be useful. My 10 year old grandson is a brown belt. He wants to give up.

Anyway, golf and fishing are my things.

G

Latest posts