• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Pedals for 800?

• Thread starter Ambrosius
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ambrosius

Reaction score
I've got a '87 JCM 800 head, I was wondering if there were any pedals I should get.

I'm still fiddling around with it, but I'm not getting that crunch I was expecting.

BeëlzeM

Reaction score
A good overdrive. I'm using a modded BOSS SD-1.

And my 10 band MXR EQ in the loop helps alot too.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
+1
i have been modding pedals for the last 3 years , played on countless , when modded
right the boss sd1 is a great little pedal , and cheap to buy and mod .
great in the front end of your marshall!!!!!!

Unknown3

Reaction score
That's odd. I can get a pretty nice crunch with my '87 JCM 800 (though mine is a combo). Maybe you're looking for a different crunch? What settings are you using on your Marshall, and what guitar are you using? Pick-ups?

Ambrosius

Reaction score
+1
i have been modding pedals for the last 3 years , played on countless , when modded
right the boss sd1 is a great little pedal , and cheap to buy and mod .
great in the front end of your marshall!!!!!!

Never modded before, not much of an electronics whiz. But I was thinking about getting a Boss.

What's the MXR-EQ do exactly? I'm new to getting gear.

Ambrosius

Reaction score
That's odd. I can get a pretty nice crunch with my '87 JCM 800 (though mine is a combo). Maybe you're looking for a different crunch? What settings are you using on your Marshall, and what guitar are you using? Pick-ups?

Let's see if I remember correctly, I've got the pre-amp all the way, vol at 1, presence at 10, bass at 8(ish), mid at 8, and treble at 7(ish).

I was using my Charvel EVH model, custom pups.

Unknown3

Reaction score
I have to retry getting crunch from my 800, but I usually keep the EQ at midnight (maybe let the mids go to 6-7). I'll let you know how it works for me. Note that I'll be trying this out with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, stock pick-ups and all.

steelhorse

Reaction score
Never modded before, not much of an electronics whiz. But I was thinking about getting a Boss.

What's the MXR-EQ do exactly? I'm new to getting gear.

Do a search or go to the Dunlop pedal website and check out the 10 Band graphic EQ. I think there are 2 models one is a 'sig' model for Kerry King and the other is more for the masses.

It has a volume slider far left, 10 band frequency sliders, then a gain slider far right. Works great!

Ambrosius

Reaction score
I have to retry getting crunch from my 800, but I usually keep the EQ at midnight (maybe let the mids go to 6-7). I'll let you know how it works for me. Note that I'll be trying this out with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, stock pick-ups and all.

Well, I got an Epi SG, but no EQ.

Ambrosius

Reaction score
Do a search or go to the Dunlop pedal website and check out the 10 Band graphic EQ. I think there are 2 models one is a 'sig' model for Kerry King and the other is more for the masses.

It has a volume slider far left, 10 band frequency sliders, then a gain slider far right. Works great!

Does the gain slider increase the OD on the amp?

suncrimson

Reaction score
If you want a crunchy tone without any narrow..thin..too dirty feeling...just get a clean boost.
It won't effect your tone but add more input gain.
15-20db boost will push your baby to a fantastic level!

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Try an Ibanez TubeScreamer TS-808 in front of the amp, and don't set pre-amp to max, instead, set Pre-Amp Vol. around 1.5 or 2 and set the Master Vol. around 5-7.

Ambrosius

Reaction score
Would these pedals add a bit of reverb?

I'm going to check these pedals out, thanks people!