Pepper Srhedder 60 valve preamp DIY pedal

• Thread starter Kuga
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kuga

Reaction score
Hi
I built a valve preamp pedal from tube town. It's really power full and loud pedal. It's a low gain one.

It feels most at home working directly with a power amp or in front of a low-gain amp. It works good on the FXloop on a Astoria Custom and on a LM6100. I need try it with other amps. It's a bit noisy If you use in front on a JTM45 . You need 12Vcc 2A power supply but then the power for the two 12AX7/ECC83 tubes is supplied by the VPump60 ( 60Vcc PCB), and the entire circuit is housed in a compact stomp box.

Due to the combination of the individual stages and the boost functions, four different sound variants are possible, all of which build on each other or are dependent on each other, which makes the circuit itself and the handling of the Pepper Shredder a bit tricky, so you have to get to know the Pepper Shredder a bit better to be able to use it effectively.

I'm glad with It.

IMG_20240428_122219_copy_1228x1632.jpg

StingRay85

Reaction score
Considering the relatively low anode voltage, perhaps would have made more sense to build it around an ECC88, but what do I know

The goal of the pedal was merely to use tubes, not to make it actually sound as good as it possible could

:D

Kuga

Reaction score
Looks interesting and plenty of gain to colour the sound, not convinced the "Tone Stack" is as good as it coud be but not bad in my opinion.
Hope the ultra bright LEDs don't remove your retina when in subdued lighting 🤓
Yeah! They are so bright. Kit comes with 5 of them. One worked just a few seconds.
What do you will like modify on "Tone Stack"?

Kuga

Reaction score
I would set the tone stack like this;
I can replace ajustable 60Vcc Ppump board to other one ajustable 90-220Vcc. Using a 12Vcc power suply. What pros and cons would this change entail? Some components are rated 100Vcc. I guess I will need replace It. Could still use It on a FXloop?

220Vcc could be a danger voltage. What safety recomendations do I need consider?
A Ground connection to the wall socket? Death cap?

Thanks

2L man

Reaction score
I can replace ajustable 60Vcc Ppump board to other one ajustable 90-220Vcc. Using a 12Vcc power suply. What pros and cons would this change entail? Some components are rated 100Vcc. I guess I will need replace It. Could still use It on a FXloop?

220Vcc could be a danger voltage. What safety recomendations do I need consider?
A Ground connection to the wall socket? Death cap?

Thanks
If 12VDC power supply is "safe" having specified isolation then higher HV is isolated from Mains and HV is no more dangerous than other amp HV is. If you use it with amplifier signal cables connect it to amp Safety Earth. Most separate DC power supplys do not have Safety Earth because they are designed that way and it is good because SE wire can have electromagnetic noise.

Yes capacitors voltage rating is what you must verify.

NickKUK

Reaction score
It's one of those things I would prefer (glass+liquid spills+HV+shielding+microphonics of stage moments) to be in the amp as a foot switchable stage.

I agree running tubes with a few volts on them seems to be a complete waste of time. If it was a 12V ac supply and a very very long voltage multiplier providing the HV then I could understand but 12V.. they could have used the 12V car radio tubes but not 300V tubes.

Kuga

Reaction score
It's one of those things I would prefer (glass+liquid spills+HV+shielding+microphonics of stage moments) to be in the amp as a foot switchable stage.

I agree running tubes with a few volts on them seems to be a complete waste of time. If it was a 12V ac supply and a very very long voltage multiplier providing the HV then I could understand but 12V.. they could have used the 12V car radio tubes but not 300V tubes.
Standard one works at 60Vdc but you can Install Vpump kit to works at 90 to 220Vdc. Could be worse there are some valve pedals that works at 9vdc.

johan.b

Reaction score
Last edited:

NickKUK

Reaction score
Google nixie supply. I've used then many times. You can even find kits for them with pcb and all the parts. Using a 9 volt 1spot, I can get them up to 300 volt and running the filaments at 9 volt series(4.5 volt per side)

I designed a 24/48Vdc -> 300V boost before, the smaller the input voltage and the multiplication, the more stress the switching mosfet comes under so I would wonder how long it would be before the supply gives up.

Secondly is the large amounts of harmonic noise produced both on the supply and the output. Add PFC and there's even more harmonics. With a battery that's ok, but as soon as you have long power leads and combined pedal boards - that noise is out there. A tube may be happy ignoring that noise, some power regulators and opamps etc won't. It was fun enough designing a 24MHz ADC clock, i2s/c isolator and power supply boards trying to reduce the power supply noise floor. I got to about -155dBV which was below the ADC noise floor.

With 1.6-3.2mA for a pair of 12ax7 that's relatively straight forward I suppose :)

TassieViking

Reaction score
Under Downunder Where The Devils Roam At Night
You should look at C2CE for a proper tube pedal PCB, it is a company started by Sushi Box pedals.
Sushi Box sells completed pedals and C2CE sells just PCB's for tube stomp boxes.
Musiikding sells kits with the C2CE PCB's.
They all run at high voltage ( 240V - 350V ) on the tubes with 9-12V input

Cheers
Mick

Kuga

Reaction score
You should look at C2CE for a proper tube pedal PCB, it is a company started by Sushi Box pedals.
Sushi Box sells completed pedals and C2CE sells just PCB's for tube stomp boxes.
Musiikding sells kits with the C2CE PCB's.
They all run at high voltage ( 240V - 350V ) on the tubes with 9-12V input

Cheers
Mick
Thank you! Really interesting. Do you can recomend one overdrive pedal or some one you like It to use with Marshall's amps?

TassieViking

Reaction score
That is a very hard question to answer, it completely depends on what you want from the pedal.
I know that the Sushi pedals are very popular with Bass guitar, especially to add some nice Tube warmth to the tone.

If you want a pre-built pedal his JC-Emerald pedal is a JCM800 preamp in a stompbox, if you use FOH only that is all you need with a DI.
The Ambassador PCB is based on the Matchless Hotbox and can be used as an overdrive or as a preamp.
The Black Eye PCB is based on the Soldano Supercharger GTO pedal and can turbocharge an amp into real overdrive, this is good for Marshall if you want very overdriven tones.

From what I have heard they are all great but some are for bass only and some for guitar only.
Just look up the original pedals on youtube or look for Sushi Box FX on youtube.

I have most of the pedal PCB's but I have many I have to complete yet, I enjoy building the pedals and amps more then playing.

TassieViking

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that there are drill files and graphic files available so you can get the boxes pre-drilled and painted from Tayda, but many other places should be able to machine and paint the boxes with the templates available when you get a PCB.
The slots in the pedals are not needed for cooling but they do look good with the tubes inside lit up.