Peter Green pickups for Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2018

• Thread starter MichiMarshall
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MichiMarshall

Reaction score
I have two Gibson les Paul Traditional (2018 model) with classic 57 and classic 57 plus. I was wondering what is the best approach to get that Peter Green out of phase tone in the middle pickup. Should i purchase a set of Bare Nuckle PG or Seymour Duncan Green Magic? Im not interested in altering the original classic 57 neck pickup. Another option would be just purchasing one neck pickup out of phase:

Any considerations?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Central Scrutinizer

Misanthropic Humanitarian
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.

If you can purchase a neck pickup by itself you will save money over buying a complete set.

I had the SD Green Magic set in my guitar. The set worked well, but then I found a deal on a Throwback pickup with the magnet flipped and it sounded much better.

YMMV.

Good luck, keep us updated with your decision.

MichiMarshall

Reaction score
well i saw that one on amazon. Dont know if it works just buying one pickup as the other one will be a classic 57 plus in the bridge.

Central Scrutinizer

Misanthropic Humanitarian
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should work.
May not have optimal tone if the ‘57 pickup is of a different magnet type,; ceramic, AlNiCo 4, 5, etc.

You might want to look on thegearpage.com or mylespaul.com for a used set?

21fret

Reaction score
A four wire neck pickup can get pretty close to that tone you're after. You could always try this inexpensive (PG) mod first, good luck!
e104d264bb38f68a9142115154514356.jpg

10kDA

Reaction score
Before spending any money, I would first try flipping the neck pickup around in its ring, so the adjustable screw heads are toward the bridge, and lower the neck pickup away from the strings quite a bit. Fine tune the height and see what happens. If you're running clean-ish Green-ish amp settings you may get surprisingly close without any further $$$ investment or changing any connections. Just saying.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Before spending any money, I would first try flipping the neck pickup around in its ring, so the adjustable screw heads are toward the bridge, and lower the neck pickup away from the strings quite a bit. Fine tune the height and see what happens. If you're running clean-ish Green-ish amp settings you may get surprisingly close without any further $$$ investment or changing any connections. Just saying.
^^^THIS THIS THIS^^^

Smart.

Last edited:

TM1

Reaction score
It's way more than just a magnet flip! Sam Li, who did Peter's pickup, rewound it with Formvar wire and wound the coils in reverse from the stock Gibson wind and then he flipped the magnet (unknowingly). So there's a whole mess of wrong stuff, but the result is very nice!
BTW, there's only a few companies that do it right; Monty's in London, ThroBak are the ones I know.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
I have the push-pull out of phase option on most of my tone pots. I just got a set of Dimarzio DLX Plus P90's which are basically mini humbuckers, and the Series out of phase sound is TITS.

El Gringo

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.

If you can purchase a neck pickup by itself you will save money over buying a complete set.

I had the SD Green Magic set in my guitar. The set worked well, but then I found a deal on a Throwback pickup with the magnet flipped and it sounded much better.

YMMV.

Good luck, keep us updated with your decision.
You have good taste and ears as well as ThroBak pickups are to die for . I have the SLE-101 Plus pickups in all of my Les Paul's and they pair so well with my Marshall 2555X's . Best tone I have ever had .

Whizzercone

Reaction score
I don't believe that actually flips the phase. It is just in phase and turned around.

10kDA

Reaction score
That's how it becomes out of phase. The vibrating string makes the same signal to both pickups. The flipped pickup is 180 degrees out of electrical and magnetic phase from where it used to be in relation to a signal common to both pickups. Playing just the neck or just the bridge pickup will sound the same as before but both on will sound different. Try it and see.

Also if you want to go further recreating Peter Green's tone you have to lower the bass sides of both pickups significantly. The neck pickup's bass side is actually lower than the top edge of the mounting ring. Again, try it and see what you think.

1701212254778.jpeg

MichiMarshall

Reaction score
Well i bought a black epiphone les paul classic in Sam ash which has the push pull pot for reversing the phase asides to coil split. I believe a pickup swap could be recommended for this guitar. Any options?

Attachments

• IMG-20231209-WA0084.jpeg
    IMG-20231209-WA0084.jpeg
    721.5 KB · Views: 1

jesone

Reaction score
Best Peter Green pickups I’ve ever encountered came from Spirit Pickups, and I’ve tried so so many over the last 20 years.