Pick up suggestions

• Thread starter chromeboy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chromeboy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a schecter omen elite andIm thinking of replacing the pups. The stock aren't horrible but when you turn down the volume they get very nasally and honky sounding. Maybe it's schecter version of a treble bleed but it really sucks. Any suggestions for a replacement set? I play mostly melodic metal. I was thinking of the Duncan hot rod pup set but also like the dimarzio tone zone/ air norton set. What do you guys think?

slade

Reaction score
Give us some names of the melodic metal bands so that we fan get some ideas on the tones.

mark123

Reaction score
Being a Lollar evangelist, I am compelled to suggest the Lollar dBs.

Last edited:

junk notes

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a replacement set?
Slow your roll.
Rewire similar to a Gibson spec. Nice and simple.
Two humbuckers master volume and tone, with diagrams all over the web.

You could prep and reuse the potentiometers and possibly reusing the tone knob's cap. Make it easy with a new 3-way switch. done. :yesway::slash:

PelliX

Reaction score
> Pick up suggestions

Have you tried something along the lines of "do you come here often...?" or "I couldn't help noticing your beatiful eyes..."? :)

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a schecter omen elite andIm thinking of replacing the pups. The stock aren't horrible but when you turn down the volume they get very nasally and honky sounding. Maybe it's schecter version of a treble bleed but it really sucks. Any suggestions for a replacement set? I play mostly melodic metal. I was thinking of the Duncan hot rod pup set but also like the dimarzio tone zone/ air norton set. What do you guys think?
Like @junk notes said, look at your wiring first, you may not need new pickups at all. But if you decide any way, Ive been very happy with Dimarzio Super Distortion for hot pickups.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I have a Tone Zone in a Gibson scale Charvel Fusion and it is my favourite pickup.

It just sounds right for metal.
Cleans up well too, being about the lowest output pup in the Dimarzio 'High Output' range.

No Air Norton though. It's a HSS.

december

Reaction score
Every passive neck pickup I've used has been really muddy and nasally. And the bridge pickups are usually quacky/honky with either a weak or a flubby low end.
The ceramic EMG 60X is the first neck pickup I've had that is actually usable. Clarity and detail. Just enough bass. Defined. With 81X in the bridge. The punchy percussive attack they have I've not heard from any of the other pickups I've used.
And the solderless wiring is so easy, convenient, and quiet. And it makes it possible to add custom tone controls. I'm using an active balance control instead of a switch, so I can blend the pickups with one knob while keeping a consistent volume, instead of using 2 volumes and having the volume drop. With the balance control I only need one volume. The X-series have active tone pots, which give a much more usable range of tone. I have one master tone, an EXG expander (cuts high-mids and boosts bass & treble) and a variable mid control (boosts or cuts between 100Hz-1kHz) that I usually have cutting the muddy mids around 350-400Hz.
I thought the EMGs made the guitar sound so much better, but the special tone controls improved the EMGs as much as the EMGs were an improvement over the passive alnicos.

Mad Jack

Reaction score
Give a try with the bill lawrence L500xl! It sound really good! No flubby bass, good attack and less noisy distotion. It sound more clean. Or there is less noise in the sound... It's different than other pups.

Greg Rogers

Reaction score
> Pick up suggestions

Have you tried something along the lines of "do you come here often...?" or "I couldn't help noticing your beatiful eyes..."? :)
I prefer,”Do you live around here often?”

GustHFS

Reaction score
I use Seymour Duncan JB pickups on my Les Paul with 500K pots, and on my HSS Strat with 250K pots. On my Ibby RG I use the classic combo of the Prestige line, DiMarzio Tone Zone/Air Norton. I'm more into blues/ hard rock/NWOBHM and I couldn't go wrong with these pickups. I did used a lot the DiMarzio Super Distortion in the past. Another great pickup, IMO.

Gust

ampeq

Reaction score
I have a Tone Zone in a Gibson scale Charvel Fusion and it is my favourite pickup.

It just sounds right for metal.
Cleans up well too, being about the lowest output pup in the Dimarzio 'High Output' range.

No Air Norton though. It's a HSS.
Tone Zone's work great, especially in lighter guitars. In thicker heavier guitars you can go with the SD. They both pair well with PAF's, but my favorite neck pup is the "Breed" if you can get one.

Latest posts