Pickup Wiring Dpdt Switch Question

• Thread starter KraftyBob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
I just converted my SSS Strat to an HSS and a friend of mine likes how it sounds. He’s thinking of doing the same to his – or rather have me rewire his guitar as he doesn’t know how. He has the Deluxe SSS which has a mini switch in the pick guard that enables the bridge pup when the 5-way is in position 4 & 5. He’s fine though with just wiring positions 1 & 2 like I have mine and not using the mini switch at all – which is:

Pos 1 – Full Humbucker – no coil split option
Pos 2 – Humbucker split coil and middle

Both of our Strats have the standard 5-way, 2 stage switch and below is how I wired my guitar so that when I switch to position 2 it automatically splits the humbucker. The red is my guitar, blue is the change I’m thinking about for his. I’m wondering, though, if I can take advantage of the mini switch and put it in-line with the black & white wires going to the 5-way switch and give him the option of a single coil in position 1?

Here’s how I’m thinking it will work:
Switch Off:
- Pos 1: full humbucker bridge (signal passes through mini switch to the 5-way)
- Pos 2: Split humbucker & middle pup (automatic)

Switch On:
- Pos 1: Single coil bridge (one coil is grounded before it gets to the 5-way)
- Pos 2: Split humbucker & middle pup

My thought is in position 2 one coil in the humbucker is grounded either at the mini switch (on), or at the 5-way switch (mini switch off so the signal passes through to the 5-way). What I don’t want to do is introduce some type of ground loop or something that will mess it up. I’ve done a lot of wiring, soldering, etc. but I’ve always followed wiring diagrams – not designed them.

I’d like to go with this approach vs. just wiring the mini switch as a coil split as the majority of time he’ll go from humbucker to split automatically in position 2 and not have to push the switch each time. For the occasions that he may want a single coil in the bridge this would allow that option too.

Interesting to note that my guitar came with (3) 250K pots, while his has a 250K volume pot and (2) 500K pots for tone. Maybe because of the mini switch to add the bridge pup to positions 4/5? I think we’ll go with all 250K pots for this project.

Thanks in advance!

HSS Deluxe Wiring Diagram for DiMarzio.jpg

KraftyBob

Reaction score
The more I think about this, I believe this should work. It seems similar to installing a kill switch (although it's not momentary), but instead of wiring it before the output jack so all pickups are affected, this gets wired between one of the pickups so only that pickup (coil) is taken out when it's activated.

Latest posts