Poll: 2203x, 2555, 1987xl, 6100 - Groove In C#m - Tone Test Samples

• Thread starter dptone5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which Marshall Head Sounds Best with this backing track?

• Marshall JCM 800 2203X

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Marshall Jubilee 2555 (1990)

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Marshall Plexi Reissue 1987XL

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Marshall 6100 30th Anniversary

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

dptone5

Reaction score
Friends,

This is the second Marshall amp comparison, very similar to one I did last year, using a backing track of Joe Satriani's "Always With Me..".

In this comparison, I just wanted to record against a ballad like backing track. Wanted to compare each of my heads with the EVH Humbucker I put in the bridge of my American Deluxe Strat. There is also a cleaner part about 3/4 of the way through the song where I switch to my neck pickup (Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's).

Looking for your opinions and thoughts please. Including a poll for fun as well (you can pick two choices if it's a toss-up for you).

Recording chain:
  • Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (S1 switching removed, traditional 5-way)
  • EVH Humbucker (bridge), Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's (neck)
  • Xotic BB Preamp
  • Marshall Amp
  • 1960BX - 4 Greenbacks
  • 2 Mics - Sennheiser e609 and e906 (same speaker)
  • ART Pro MPA II Tube Preamp
  • ART PRO VLA II Tube Compressor
  • Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
  • Apple MacBook Pro
  • Logic Pro X for FX/Mixing
Note - each recording was one take - lots of mistakes!! Also, took no time to get rid of noise in the intro or anything. Just a very rough mix to get an idea of tone.

Would like to know which you like best / least and why......thanks.

Here is a link to my SoundCloud page - you will be able to jump around within the song if you go directly there. If you click on the words "Latest Tracks" it allows for easy comparison between all 4 heads. You can click on any part within each track for side-by-side comparisons.

SoundCloud Direct Link - click on words "Latest Tracks" (for using cursor to move about tracks):

The embedded links to the tracks below don't allow you to move the cursor within the track for some reason.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your thoughts!!

DP

Embedded Tracks Here (no navigation available if you use these):

Michael Roe

Reaction score
Dam, they all sound really good!!! The Jube stands out a bit more in the mix. It's a hard choice but if I had to say: Jube #1 and then 6100 #2. 6100 is a little darker and thicker but I think if I were mixing it I would choose that one and add a little API EQ on top.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow...awesome tones DPTONE5...♫

I liked the glassy cleans of the 2203X and 1987X but the 2555 was my choice. Soother, Darker and controlled inflections IMO. That ws a difficult choice.

Well played I should add.

David ♫

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
The 2203x and 2555 are very close, but I hear more harmonics and articulation in the 2203x clip.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
JCM 800 model 2203X was my choice.
The Jubilee was second but not bad at all.

I noticed you applied a lot of signal processing such as Xotic BB preamp, ART preamp, ART tube compressor, etc.
My question: were these devices on all the time or were they brought in and out during the performance?
2nd question: what do these amp sound like without some of these signal processing devices?

Thanks for sharing/posting.

Alexhangman

Reaction score
So strange, i have both Jubilee and 2203x, they have a different tone.
Jubilee has dark rounded sound, while 2203x has trebly, harsh and biting.
But in this test they sound almost the same.

Last edited:

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the Jubilee best, but something about the 6100 make it a close second.

dptone5

Reaction score
Dam, they all sound really good!!! The Jube stands out a bit more in the mix. It's a hard choice but if I had to say: Jube #1 and then 6100 #2. 6100 is a little darker and thicker but I think if I were mixing it I would choose that one and add a little API EQ on top.

Thanks for listening Michael. The 6100 needs something IMHO. I agree with you, perhaps some of the highs aren't there. The 6100 records the "most polite" tone of my Marshalls, but it is funny, it is the loudest that will peel paint from the walls.

dptone5

Reaction score
Wow...awesome tones DPTONE5...♫

I liked the glassy cleans of the 2203X and 1987X but the 2555 was my choice. Soother, Darker and controlled inflections IMO. That ws a difficult choice.

Well played I should add.

David ♫

Thank you for your kind words and for listening my friend. I too think the 2203X does best in that cleaner section with the neck pickup. Overall, the 2555 just has something going against this backing track. A richness and smoothness that is just pleasing to me.

dptone5

Reaction score
The 2203x and 2555 are very close, but I hear more harmonics and articulation in the 2203x clip.

Marshallmellowed - I personally like the 2203X and the 2555 for this song. The 2203X is not nearly as aggressive as it can sound and I'm surprised by the low end and harmonic richness. Thanks for taking the time to listen.

dptone5

Reaction score
JCM 800 model 2203X was my choice.
The Jubilee was second but not bad at all.

I noticed you applied a lot of signal processing such as Xotic BB preamp, ART preamp, ART tube compressor, etc.
My question: were these devices on all the time or were they brought in and out during the performance?
2nd question: what do these amp sound like without some of these signal processing devices?

Thanks for sharing/posting.

Hey my friend. Hope you are well and thanks for listening. Yes, I do need to just record someday with the amp and guitar only. For this song, I wouldn't normally record it without an OD pedal, so that is why I used it.

I did not turn anything off during any part of the recording.

The BB definitely has its own thing going on, which makes the amps sound "closer" to each other for sure. The RC Booster is truly a transparent boost. I need to record more with that one for fun.

dptone5

Reaction score
So strange, i have both Jubilee and 2203x, they have a different tone.
Jubilee has dark rounded sound, while 2203x has trebly, harsh and biting.
But in this test they sound almost the same.

Hey Alex, thanks for listening and commenting.

You hit the nail on the head my friend. With no OD pedal, you have accurately described the core tone of each amp. The BB definitely makes the amps sound similar.

Which amp do you normally prefer?

dptone5

Reaction score
I like the Jubilee best, but something about the 6100 make it a close second.

Australian my friend, thanks for listening and for your input. I am surprised and happy to hear you picked the Jube first. I know you're a big fan of the 6100 too.

I need to get a guy with your chops and vocal ability on one of my songs someday. You really have talent!!

DP

plexilespaul

Reaction score
the jube was the most interesting and complex sounding out of the bunch.
thanks for the demo love your playing

Alexhangman

Reaction score
Hey Alex, thanks for listening and commenting.

You hit the nail on the head my friend. With no OD pedal, you have accurately described the core tone of each amp. The BB definitely makes the amps sound similar.

Which amp do you normally prefer?
Ah, BB preamp ))
I thought you were playing without a pedal.
If you mean in this test, then i dunno, because with BB preamp, they sound the same.
But when i play live, i like all of them (Jub and 800), because they sound different. So depends on the mood. ))
By the way, i use GE7 instead of OD or Dist pedals.

Last edited:

RobS

Reaction score
DP

for me the 1987 wins, followed by the 2203 in both clean and dirt sounds.
The 6100 & 2555 sounded great clean as well but when dirty the other two get the cake, well 1987 gets first bite !

rob

dptone5

Reaction score
the jube was the most interesting and complex sounding out of the bunch.
thanks for the demo love your playing

Thank you my friend. Appreciate the kind words. The cool thing about the Jube is it sounds terrific at low volumes, so I find myself using it and the 2203X most, since I'm trying to preserve what little hearing I have left!!

Ah, BB preamp ))
I thought you were playing without a pedal.
If you mean in this test, then i dunno, because with BB preamp, they sound the same.
But when i play live, i like all of them (Jub and 800), because they sound different. So depends on the mood. ))
By the way, i use GE7 instead of OD or Dist pedals.

Alex, I need to do a recording with no pedals, but in this case, I was trying to see the difference in lead tone using the pedal I normally use when playing solos. I use a Monte Allums modded GE-7 in my loop for a solo boost. Great pedal!!

DP

for me the 1987 wins, followed by the 2203 in both clean and dirt sounds.
The 6100 & 2555 sounded great clean as well but when dirty the other two get the cake, well 1987 gets first bite !

rob

Thanks for listening and commenting Rob. I do really like the tone of the Plexi for the leads. I wasn't too happy with the neck pickup section, but that is probably because I still had the OD engaged and it just sounded a little muddy to me. I know they are all pretty close, so it is really about comparing the subtleties. I'm hungry now after reading your post!! LOL

4Horseman

Reaction score
1) 2203x
2) 2555
3) Great playing!
Hard to pick, really. I agree with the others about wanting to hear the amps raw sound. It would be nice to compare the base line of each amp. Thanks for the demo!

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Australian my friend, thanks for listening and for your input. I am surprised and happy to hear you picked the Jube first. I know you're a big fan of the 6100 too.

I need to get a guy with your chops and vocal ability on one of my songs someday. You really have talent!!

DP

I'm using the Jubilee live atm, and the Xotic BB is on my board so I guess I like that tone. :)

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I really liked the 1987x in this. It had a certain quality to it that I can't describe. Kind of like a shimmering tone to the high end. The 6100 sounded great too as was the jubilee.