Portable Marshall tone

• Thread starter Matthewthomas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Hi all,

Want to pick the group's brain for ideas. I'm hoping to get ideas for the best portable Marshall combo for legit vintage and classic rock tones. I have a 2150 which I absolutely love, but it's fairly beastly for a 1x12.

I want a good amount of overdrive but not high gain (think "All right now" or early AC/DC type territory)

My favourite sound is Super Lead or JMP, not so much JCM800. It's not necessary that the overdrive is from the power tubes; my 100w JMP master volume sounds perfect to me with the master as low as 3, it has the thick and punchy rock tone that I want (yes of course it sounds a bit better 5 than 3, but actually doesn't sound any better at 8 or 10 than 5)

I know it's pretty picky and a big ask, but does anyone know of a portable option that will delivery the classic tone at reasonable volumes? I'm sure the SV20C or JTM20C would get me the tone, but probably not until it's pretty cranked.

I've ruled out the DSL line and SC20 as they sound a little more modern than what I'm going for. I have a Friedman Little Sister that is awesome but it's not pure Marshall tone, it's a different character.

Another possibility would be a SV or JTM studio amp and a really good pedal, and if so I'd love recommendations on a drive pedal that would simulate plexi distortion, however I would prefer the sound to be all tube and all marshall. I've tried Klon clones, SD1, tube screamers etc into my 2150 just for fun and they never sound as good as just the amp. And I don't really want to get into pedals, attenuators or that stuff, I'd love a pick up and go.

So basically my ideal would be a Plexi/JMP type sounding, master volume 4 hole 2 channel, highly portable combo 1x12 that can do Paul Kossoff tone at chill jam levels - that's not too much to ask, is it??? just kidding but any ideas or directions appreciated!

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty specific amp you’re describing. You say you love the tones from your 100 watt Jmp, but you’re not a fan of an Jcm800?

They sound very much a like, no more different imo, than an 800 might sound compared to another 800 from the same year.

I don’t think consistency was a prime objective back in those day. I’m thinking you should check out both an SC20c and a SV20c.

Last edited:

svinyard

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just on a nice high because I threw in the earplugs and cranked my SV20 while wife was out... but I think that SV20 + Johnh attenuator is THE ticket. I LOVE this amp. ALOT. it's special compared to all the other stuff I've played recently (DSL40, Origin50, SC20, TSL122, Fenders, Vox AC15, PRX). It's just got all kinds of unique, awesome things going on. Cleans, low volume stuff...all guitar settings. Tones of good tones in there. Not just the ACDC sizzle...but MAKE NO MISTAKE...it has freaking ACDC sizzle and low punch for days (in a good cab) and playing dynamics. Everything else I've played in the last month definitely does not have that. So yeah, SV20.

Then get a 1x12 or 4x10 cab with greenbacks. Depending on how portable you need. Any decent 1x12 combo will be around 50lbs and open back. A nice light (non-MDF), closed back 1x12 is like 30lbs fits easily in one and and your studio head at 24lbs in the other hand. Easier to carry long distance vs a 50lb combo (which sucks to pack long distance and get into your car safely on it's back or whatever). It more than just lifting and carrying it...positioning a 50lb block is a pain.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Pretty specific amp you’re describing. You say you love the tones from your 100 watt Jmp, but you’re not a fan of an Jcm800?

They sound very much a like, no more different imo, than an 800 might sound compared to another 800 from the same year.

I don’t think consistency was a prime objective back in those day. I’m thinking you should check out both an SC20c and a SV20c.

you don’t you rule out the Studio800.
It’s true, I should probably try the Sc20c… And yea I know the JMP2203 is close/same as early JCM800 2203… my jmp (actually it doesn’t say jmp but it’s a 2150 that I’m assuming is a JMp because it’s from ‘79) has 4 holes/2 channels so I can blend the channels, so maybe that’s the tonal difference?

I also have the crazy idea that I could buy the JTM studio and mod it with a Post-PIMV since it has a phase splitter? Or I could just get a Sc20c lol

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
My first choice is SV20 all day.
My second choice is BluGuitar amp1. Great pedal amp that is 100 watts, then all you need is 1x12 cab of your liking.
I had the Amp1 mercury, impressive unit but it was too fizzy for me and I found it sounded/felt solid state even though it had the “nanotube”. I wonder if people mod the sv20 with a master volume and what the results are like? I love how it sounds in videos and it looks perfect as well… but from what I hear it would be too loud when overdriven for what I’m looking for

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just on a nice high because I threw in the earplugs and cranked my SV20 while wife was out... but I think that SV20 + Johnh attenuator is THE ticket. I LOVE this amp. ALOT. it's special compared to all the other stuff I've played recently (DSL40, Origin50, SC20, TSL122, Fenders, Vox AC15, PRX). It's just got all kinds of unique, awesome things going on. Cleans, low volume stuff...all guitar settings. Tones of good tones in there. Not just the ACDC sizzle...but MAKE NO MISTAKE...it has freaking ACDC sizzle and low punch for days (in a good cab) and playing dynamics. Everything else I've played in the last month definitely does not have that. So yeah, SV20.

Then get a 1x12 or 4x10 cab with greenbacks. Depending on how portable you need. Any decent 1x12 combo will be around 50lbs and open back. A nice light (non-MDF), closed back 1x12 is like 30lbs fits easily in one and and your studio head at 24lbs in the other hand. Easier to carry long distance vs a 50lb combo (which sucks to pack long distance and get into your car safely on it's back or whatever). It more than just lifting and carrying it...positioning a 50lb block is a pain.
Some very good points here. I do have a couple of 1x12 greenback cabs and a 4x12 greenback cab… I’ve been using my Friedman little sister head with a lightweight 1x12 greenback cab I made for it, but I’m hoping to get just a combo with a Marshall tone. I’ll probably end up with one of the 20watt studio models, but I never know when there’s something more obscure or something else I should consider. And I do usually prefer head/cab for the reasons you mentioned and others, but I’m hoping for an all in one grab and go combo with a vintage Marshall sound

K9Merc

Reaction score
I had the Amp1 mercury, impressive unit but it was too fizzy for me and I found it sounded/felt solid state even though it had the “nanotube”. I wonder if people mod the sv20 with a master volume and what the results are like? I love how it sounds in videos and it looks perfect as well… but from what I hear it would be too loud when overdriven for what I’m looking for
I see that for sure with amp1. It sounds better than my line 6 helix so I held onto it and use it when I’m being too lazy to haul a heavy combo.
I think a master volume isn’t going to get “the Goods”. I recommend the tone king iron man mini if you’re too lazy to build one like me lol. It does a way better job of not cutting off the high end like the ox box. Plus the tone king can sit in the back of the cab.

svinyard

Reaction score
Some very good points here. I do have a couple of 1x12 greenback cabs and a 4x12 greenback cab… I’ve been using my Friedman little sister head with a lightweight 1x12 greenback cab I made for it, but I’m hoping to get just a combo with a Marshall tone. I’ll probably end up with one of the 20watt studio models, but I never know when there’s something more obscure or something else I should consider. And I do usually prefer head/cab for the reasons you mentioned and others, but I’m hoping for an all in one grab and go combo with a vintage Marshall sound
I'd be a bit more incline to the studio combos if they were 12" combos (I think 10" speakers are awesome). I believe the new JTM studio 20w combo has a 12" speaker (Creamback 65m). It's only 39lbs!!

I bet that thing is kickass and is portable.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
One advantage to using a 10" speaker with the SV20C is that its less efficient. It's like having an attenuator two clicks down. Plus it's even more portable.

If you have to use an attenuator, though, just get the head and use it with your green back 1x12 cab.

I also think the SV head or combo is what will give you your tone goals. The ST will probably need to be louder for overdrive tones. (My JTM45 is clean up to about 6)

But the plexi and the master volume circuits (2203 or SC20) are not night and day different sounding.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s true, I should probably try the Sc20c… And yea I know the JMP2203 is close/same as early JCM800 2203… my jmp (actually it doesn’t say jmp but it’s a 2150 that I’m assuming is a JMp because it’s from ‘79) has 4 holes/2 channels so I can blend the channels, so maybe that’s the tonal difference?

I also have the crazy idea that I could buy the JTM studio and mod it with a Post-PIMV since it has a phase splitter? Or I could just get a Sc20c lol
Yes about the tonal differences between a 4 holer and 2203/2304 circuit, when you said Jmp, I thought of the 2203 circuit Jmp. There were some oddities in those transition years, that’s for sure. There was a 4-holer Jcm800 from that period, I don’t know how many were actually made, I would imagine they’re fairly rare though.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Yes about the tonal differences between a 4 holer and 2203/2304 circuit, when you said Jmp, I thought of the 2203 circuit Jmp. There were some oddities in those transition years, that’s for sure. There was a 4-holer Jcm800 from that period, I don’t know how many were actually made, I would imagine they’re fairly rare though.
This is very interesting- I can only assume the 4 hole jcm800 must be related to my 2150 - (especially if it has a master volume which I also assume it does). as far as I was told the 2150 is more similar in general to a 1959 rather than the 2 hole JMP/JCM2203, but it is also distinct in having a split between the 2 pairs of EL34s in the schematic architecture. However I’m quite the novice when it comes to this so I could be mistaken. If there is some type of master volume mod that would allow the newer SV or JTM combos to produce their fully overdriven tone at a lower volume I think that would do the trick. But again, I am too ignorant to know whether this is possible and/or significantly different from a SC20, which would just simplify things a hell of a lot

Burk

Reaction score
Hi all,

Want to pick the group's brain for ideas. I'm hoping to get ideas for the best portable Marshall combo for legit vintage and classic rock tones. I have a 2150 which I absolutely love, but it's fairly beastly for a 1x12.

I want a good amount of overdrive but not high gain (think "All right now" or early AC/DC type territory)

My favourite sound is Super Lead or JMP, not so much JCM800. It's not necessary that the overdrive is from the power tubes; my 100w JMP master volume sounds perfect to me with the master as low as 3, it has the thick and punchy rock tone that I want (yes of course it sounds a bit better 5 than 3, but actually doesn't sound any better at 8 or 10 than 5)

I know it's pretty picky and a big ask, but does anyone know of a portable option that will delivery the classic tone at reasonable volumes? I'm sure the SV20C or JTM20C would get me the tone, but probably not until it's pretty cranked.

I've ruled out the DSL line and SC20 as they sound a little more modern than what I'm going for. I have a Friedman Little Sister that is awesome but it's not pure Marshall tone, it's a different character.

Another possibility would be a SV or JTM studio amp and a really good pedal, and if so I'd love recommendations on a drive pedal that would simulate plexi distortion, however I would prefer the sound to be all tube and all marshall. I've tried Klon clones, SD1, tube screamers etc into my 2150 just for fun and they never sound as good as just the amp. And I don't really want to get into pedals, attenuators or that stuff, I'd love a pick up and go.

So basically my ideal would be a Plexi/JMP type sounding, master volume 4 hole 2 channel, highly portable combo 1x12 that can do Paul Kossoff tone at chill jam levels - that's not too much to ask, is it??? just kidding but any ideas or directions appreciated!
Jcm800 4010

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is very interesting- I can only assume the 4 hole jcm800 must be related to my 2150 - (especially if it has a master volume which I also assume it does). as far as I was told the 2150 is more similar in general to a 1959 rather than the 2 hole JMP/JCM2203, but it is also distinct in having a split between the 2 pairs of EL34s in the schematic architecture. However I’m quite the novice when it comes to this so I could be mistaken. If there is some type of master volume mod that would allow the newer SV or JTM combos to produce their fully overdriven tone at a lower volume I think that would do the trick. But again, I am too ignorant to know whether this is possible and/or significantly different from a SC20, which would just simplify things a hell of a lot
Your 2150, is quite rare, the master volume is a stock PPIMV, (post phase inverter master volume. There were only 400 made!

Some photos of Jcm800 4- holers,…

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m left wondering why Marshall didn’t make more of these amps, (2150), or why they didn’t make a head version? Seem like it would be a popular amp,….maybe it didn’t sell.

There must be a reason, no?

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
I’m left wondering why Marshall didn’t make more of these amps, (2150), or why they didn’t make a head version? Seem like it would be a popular amp,….maybe it didn’t sell.

There must be a reason, no?
Yes, I’d be totally speculating but I’m guessing it fits into that transition period you were referring to. I don’t know if or to what degree the channel jumping was looked at as a benefit or selling feature contemporaneously. Possibly to 2 hole master volumes were simpler/cheaper to produce? I wish I knew! I LOVE my 2150, the 4 hole/MV is awesome, and yes I’d prefer it as a head because I mostly use it with my 4x12 greenbacks and it’s not very portable to say the least, though it can be moved around with one hand when necessary. I know people convert them to heads but the controls end up upside down. I’m leaving mine alone. It actually sounds great with the PowerCell speaker but I have a cab with a mix of G12M and G12H some modern some pulsonic, and it sounds epic! I actually got it for an awesome price for what it is because I think they are not that well known/sought after comparatively speaking but not actually rare enough to be precious.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I’d be totally speculating but I’m guessing it fits into that transition period you were referring to. I don’t know if or to what degree the channel jumping was looked at as a benefit or selling feature contemporaneously. Possibly to 2 hole master volumes were simpler/cheaper to produce? I wish I knew! I LOVE my 2150, the 4 hole/MV is awesome, and yes I’d prefer it as a head because I mostly use it with my 4x12 greenbacks and it’s not very portable to say the least, though it can be moved around with one hand when necessary. I know people convert them to heads but the controls end up upside down. I’m leaving mine alone. It actually sounds great with the PowerCell speaker but I have a cab with a mix of G12M and G12H some modern some pulsonic, and it sounds epic! I actually got it for an awesome price for what it is because I think they are not that well known/sought after comparatively speaking but not actually rare enough to be precious.
I certainly agree with you about not changing anything on that amp, leave it as is would be my suggestion. It’s a bit ironic,… the PPIMV that’s stock on your amp, was a pretty popular mod done to SL’s in the 80s.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I LOVE my 2150, the 4 hole/MV is awesome, and yes I’d prefer it as a head because I mostly use it with my 4x12 greenbacks and it’s not very portable to say the least, though it can be moved around with one hand when necessary. I know people convert them to heads but the controls end up upside down.
What are the chassis dimensions?
Mojotone makes a DSL40 conversion shell with the tubes down.
They could probably make one to fit the 2150.
1694648598428.png
I'd assume Sourmash or Guitar Cabinets Direct could make one too.