Potentially blew the Output Tranny on my Jubilee

• Thread starter JoeyJones
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyJones

Reaction score
Hey,

just turned on my Jubilee and thought I had it connected to my dummy load, turned out I didn't. I repeatedly played a signal through, trying to find where the error in the signal chain is. After like 5 minutes, it just turned off and now I can't turn it on anymore. I only found out then it wasn't connected to the dummy load.

Did I blow the output tranny or could I be lucky and it's just a fuse?

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likely just a fuse. It's possible other components could have been damaged but check continuity of the fuses first. Replace if necessary and take care when energizing again.

I've seen many a repair involve swapping transformers where it wasn't needed. Too many people are eager to say they're bad but never perform any diagnostic procedures to determine the fault condition. Shorted, open, secondary or primary, etc... Just a warning if you need to take it to a repair person.

JoeyJones

Reaction score
Well I wouldn’t touch it myself anyway since I’m in no way technically knowledgeable enough. But I feel like I ruined my vintage jubilee because I didn’t notice early enough that I wasn’t connnected to my dummy load.

Hoping it’s just not the Output transformer and just a fuse. Otherwise I am officially responsible for blowing up an original Marshall Silver Jubilee from 87. 😭

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spoke to the seers of the tone gods and they told me everything would be good.

I've been in a studio situation where I had a 2203 wide open without a load and we were playing it for a minute before we realized the speaker lead had come disconnected. None of these situations are good for the amp of course, but as long as there isn't prolonged misuse they should be alright.

PelliX

Reaction score
Hey,

just turned on my Jubilee and thought I had it connected to my dummy load, turned out I didn't. I repeatedly played a signal through, trying to find where the error in the signal chain is. After like 5 minutes, it just turned off and now I can't turn it on anymore. I only found out then it wasn't connected to the dummy load.

Did I blow the output tranny or could I be lucky and it's just a fuse?

I mean no disrespect here, but I don't understand how one can start a thread without first checking if the mains fuse has popped. If the amp simply won't switch on, it can only be the mains fuse or something very early in the chain. Check that, replace it with the *same type* and give it a whirl. The fuse that should have popped would be the HT, actually, so I'm a little surprised it doesn't turn on anymore, but if a new mains fuse brings it back to life and you simply get no sound; check that.

Latest posts