Power switch Valvestate 2, 8020 model doesnt hold on.

Shelley

Reaction score
I have picked up a Valvestate 2, 8020 model, where the power button does not hold on by itself. The amp works perfectly if I hold the power switch pressed in (red light, sounds works), but it will flick off as soon as I take pressure off the switch.

I believe the issue is the power switch needs replacing, as it should hold when pushed on. Appreciate any advice on if that is the obvious fix or I may be missing something else.

Thanks! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stratfordade

Reaction score
Suggest you obtain replacement switch from Marshall if you’re comfortable with removing chassis and desoldering the faulty switch. I’m not certain they’ll have the part but they do have other parts for amps of this age and usually cheaper than other sources. You’ll find email address for parts enquiries on their website.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Hi @Shelley and welcome to the MF :welcome:

These amps are around 30 years old, so it's unlikely Marshall will carry spares.

Not sure where you are based, but there are several EU amp parts sellers that carry a switch they say is for the 8020.
Does yours look like this?
If so, a spot of soldering could solve the problem (or a tech maybe).
The rectangular black button just clips onto the end of the switch.

But be sure you are knowledgeable enough about amp repairs to not kill yourself!
Capacitors in an amp that is unplugged even, carry charges that are potentially lethal.

Latest posts