Ppmv removal, changes tone?

• Thread starter Jodyzuza
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jodyzuza

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a Ppmv on my 1970 superlead installed by last owner. Honestly, I don't even use it as I crank the master volume all the way up (or close to it) and use an 8 ohm hot plate...

I'm considering having a tech disconnecting it, but leaving it all in there in case I change my mind...

Will it change the tone, or the gain at all? Honestly, the amp gets WAY too much gain for my tastes....with either volume at 1-2, the amp is in full distortion. Turning up the volume pots on either channel just adds more gain. I'm hoping that disconnecting the Ppmv will allow the amp to be less gainy and more like a stock superlead...

The previous owner used it for metal, so he had it modded for that tone...I'm more of a blues rock guitarist so I'd rather get those thick, sustaining semi clean solos from the amp (think Dwayne allman) with the volume pots turned half way up

What do you think?

jakub421

Reaction score
Instead of removing the PPIMV right away I would first de-mod the amplifier and see how you like the sound (possibly modify it to Super Bass specs).

Could you post some pictures?

Joshabr1

Reaction score
U need to post pics of the inside of the amp if u want some real help here.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a Ppmv on my 1970 superlead installed by last owner. Honestly, I don't even use it as I crank the master volume all the way up (or close to it) and use an 8 ohm hot plate...

I'm considering having a tech disconnecting it, but leaving it all in there in case I change my mind...

Will it change the tone, or the gain at all? Honestly, the amp gets WAY too much gain for my tastes....with either volume at 1-2, the amp is in full distortion. Turning up the volume pots on either channel just adds more gain. I'm hoping that disconnecting the Ppmv will allow the amp to be less gainy and more like a stock superlead...

The previous owner used it for metal, so he had it modded for that tone...I'm more of a blues rock guitarist so I'd rather get those thick, sustaining semi clean solos from the amp (think Dwayne allman) with the volume pots turned half way up

What do you think?

Maxing out the PPIMV volume pot removes or "bypasses" it from the circuit. Doing so does not affect the amp tone or gain adversely. I have one in my 74' MkII SL converted to 68' 12000 series SL specs. I always have mine maxed out (and use a pedal) and have never considered removing it, especially if I play out and really need a PPIMV to control my volume then I will have it.

Jodyzuza

Reaction score

Ok great I will upload some pix later today! As for mods I'm not sure what was done, except for:

1) the Ppmv mod
2) original output tranny was fried so was replaced with a peavey butcher tranny (ugg!)
3) amp was converted from el34 to 6550's (I'm having the amp re converted soon)

That's all the original owner remembers as these mods were done a while back...

Thanks for your help!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
If youre getting a ton of gain at low volume on that amp its gotta have gain mods like everybody else has refered. Get the amp put back to stock but leave the ppmv and see how you like it. The attenuator may not even be necessary.

sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
gut pics would help....there does sound like more is going on than the Post Phase Master Vol

Blacque Jacque

Reaction score
If youre getting a ton of gain at low volume on that amp its gotta have gain mods like everybody else has refered.

Conventional wisdom says this is the case, but my 1987x w/PPIMV has huge amounts of gain / overdrive. Much of it comes from the PI, so much so I have fitted a Pre PI MV in order to tame it.

metromutt

Reaction score
except for:

1) the Ppmv mod
2) original output tranny was fried so was replaced with a peavey butcher tranny (ugg!)
3) amp was converted from el34 to 6550's (I'm having the amp re converted soon)

Thanks for your help!

I'd probably opt to put a different OT in over the ppmv see if that works out.

Jodyzuza

Reaction score

Hey Josh, just created a photo album of my superlead...you can view it in my public profile. Not sure of how to post a link here...

Thanks for your help!!

sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at your pics...

Oh boy!!

well .... start by lifting one leg off that bright cap. just to see if it tames it at low volume.

but that looks like a re build if it were mine.

Is it noisy?

Jodyzuza

Reaction score
I looked at your pics...

Oh boy!!

well .... start by lifting one leg off that bright cap. just to see if it tames it at low volume.

but that looks like a re build if it were mine.

Is it noisy?

Yeah, I know, a lot going on in there lol! I will try the bright cap snip..I've read about a mod that the bright cap gets cut completely out and added on to the volume 2 (normal) channel, and the normal channel sounds awesome afterwards...found it in a newsletter from mercury magnetics...

By the way, the amp is amazingly quiet! You get a little hissing at high volume but up to about half way up it's about the same as my silver jubilee. I find it hard to believe with that jumble of wires in there but the amps works well!

sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its quiet....

But I am not familiar with the way that is wired in with the extra caps coming off the pots (ppmv)

Are you going to work on this or are you taking it to a tech?

Because what might need to happen is, some wiring, and then some listening, and then some rewiring and re listening.

On my builds I do a bunch of experimentation (as time allows)

and what I have noticed is that the LARMAR (PPMV ...type) adds some "fizz" that to my ear is somewhat annoying....but worth it because of the volume issue of 100 watts cranked.

So to answer your question...yes it did alter the tone, but not drastically

This extra gain that you don't like may also be your OT ....what is you Negative Feedback Resistor value? and or a combination of many factors..

Need better pics of the input area as the values of almost everything is unknown

This is no longer a Marshall, it is a FrankenMarshall.......

What exactly are you looking for in your tone palate. ?

sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just re read your first post...

(duh)

The bright cap has the effect of tiny adjustments mean BIG changes...so try that....no guarantees...

Latest posts