Preamp Tubes? - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

• Thread starter joshuaaewallen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ken361

Reaction score
Well they are back in stock in most places, but the tubes are blank. They uncovered a whole bunch of them that were to be relabeled. I think they are going for $17.99 for a 12AX7.

If they aren't microphonic, they are about as close to NOS as you can get.

selling Ei's again?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
selling Ei's again?

Yeah the online stores have them all over, except Doug's. I would try a couple but apparently its really hit and miss with the mocrophonics on these. The Tubestore warns you that there is no warranties when used with guitar amps:

The Ei ECC83 / 12AX7 is modeled after the famous "flat plate" Telefunken pre-amp audio tube. Although no longer in current production, the Ei 12AX7 / ECC83 tube is in stock now. This batch was originally intended for OEM so the bottles are not labeled with the "Ei" brand. The Ei 12AX7 tube is best suited for professional and home audio applications. The exception is guitar amps; although the tone is great, we will not guarantee microphonic performance in those types of amps and would strongly suggest that you try another 12AX7 type. There is no warranty when used in guitar amps.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ei went out of business a few years ago. Their ECC83 was Marshall's OEM tube for years. They were a copy of a Telefunken smooth plate and supposedly made them on the old Tele equipment. They aren't a bad sounding tube, but they have a reputation for being microphonic. I thought I had a picture of one, but I can't find it. thetubestore.com has some in stock now.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
ok! when I got my amp back from the tech he put in all marshall chinese hand selected and a sovteck in the v1 sounded pretty good but i kinda likeing this so far! v1tungsol, v2 mullard blackburn,v3 penta labs Mullard reissue,v4 mullard reissue(this tube sounds bad at v1 through v3 no probs in v4 and v5 marshall chinese. Seems to soften the pick attack some, waiting on the rft to come back! ok marty on this?

Yeah that will work, but it's going to sound better with the RFT in V1. Once you get it back in there, you should notice more of a difference in how V1 and V2 work together.

ken361

Reaction score
mullard reissue a week tube? doug rated the gain 115/115 sounded not strong at all!!!!!!!!!! low volume tooo. seems fine in the v4

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
mullard reissue a week tube? doug rated the gain 115/115 sounded not strong at all!!!!!!!!!! low volume tooo. seems fine in the v4

I've heard it described as a lower gain 12AX7 and that's how it sounds in mine especially in V1.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score

I just get a kick out of how perfectly matched these CP tubes are. Man, if only RCA could have pulled that off. 115-115. Simply perfect.

This Mullard RI is actually a medium gain V1 type of tube, although I have had certain people tell me that it has noise. I think certain amps may aggravate this. If you like it in V4, then keep it there. That's a good place for it.

Look at it this way. You have a perfectly balanced tube in your PI slot...even though you don't need a perfectly balanced tube in your PI slot.:lol:

ken361

Reaction score
he owed me a tube cause one went bad and I told him I wanted to try that one, thats a first that I got one balanced like that. Thats not the pi slot v5 is.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
he owed me a tube cause one went bad and I told him I wanted to try that one, thats a first that I got one balanced like that. Thats not the pi slot v5 is.

I'm sorry, I keep forgetting you have a 205. I'm so used to 900's and DSL/TSL's. Sorry about that. Well, at least he isn't sending you "matched" tubes all of the time. I'd be getting suspicious then.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
wonder if a company made a smaller tube like the old ones it would sound any diff?

If you had been here a while back you would have seen that. The company was Tech Tube and they were making 12AX7's. Things didn't pan out and they filed for bankruptcy. Now the tubes are like rare to find. Some of the first batch were really horrible sounding.

Oh I want to add that the tubes that did work were often compared to Telefunkens in sound quality.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Marty,
I'm looking at a 12AX7. It was tested on a Hickok 6000A, with minimum good 1250. I think that this is on a scale of 1/3000. Anyway, the tube tests at 1850/1800. Isn't minimum good 70%? Can you explain this so I don't need a slide rule to figure it out?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got to say these Telefunkens really suck!

They suck the money right out of my bank account.

Shit!

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Marty,
I'm looking at a 12AX7. It was tested on a Hickok 6000A, with minimum good 1250. I think that this is on a scale of 1/3000. Anyway, the tube tests at 1850/1800. Isn't minimum good 70%? Can you explain this so I don't need a slide rule to figure it out?

Those tubes would be at 85 to 92 percent out of 100. I know that on a Hickok, if they test at say 2100, the are in the upper 90's.

On my tester where 22-22 is nominal new, the 1850/1800 would probably be a 26-26 tube. Maybe a little stouter.

These are well over 70 percent tubes. On a Hickok, it may go to 3000 mhos, but not all tubes, even new ones will read that high.

On my tester, 65 percent is were good starts, except for how I have to test 12AX7's. I have come to the conclusion that 22-22 represents an 80-80 tube.

If you need to know for sure, I can always test it for you.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Wow! Ratt's avatar is sort of intimidating. So, all three of us have new avatars.

Hells...we da three amigos!:lol::fingersx::lol:

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL! I drew that during one of my more stoned moments. I actually made it for desktop wallpaper. I know I could have downloaded the Steal Your Face design from anywhere, but sometimes it's more fun to do it yourself.

Latest posts