Preamp Tubes? - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

• Thread starter joshuaaewallen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wegman

Reaction score
Not far frome the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field
Man I am totally on GE tubes. I swapped out my power tubes (I went back to the GT's) and it totally changed the way the GE tubes sound. I have one GE in V1 and one in V2 and I totally have got my sound. Chords just grind away and solo's are clean and articulate. The Ge's are very quiet to, not alot of noise. Is there anything special about the GE tubes? I believe they are long plates. They sound and react totally different then any other tube I have tried in the V1 and V2 spots. I like them better then the RCA black plate.

I am in tone heaven. Playing is fun again. I am still looking into getting a set of 6CA7's when I have some extra coin because I think those will just be the iceing on the cake.

What a difference. :headbanger:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Well, you can roll all of your preamp tubes and find a sweet combination and then change out the power tubes and it doesn't sound the same. That's why a pro tube roller has that nice stash of tubes. He can tackle any type of sound problem with his stash of tubes. I'm working on building a stash of tubes for an amp I don't even have yet. But I will get it and then I will have primo tubes to put in it. Yeah, baby!:dude:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah when you change the power tubes its likely you find yourself rolling the preamps all over again. Good to see Wegman it sounds great. I'm luv'n mine too.

ken361

Reaction score
Man I am totally on GE tubes. I swapped out my power tubes (I went back to the GT's) and it totally changed the way the GE tubes sound. I have one GE in V1 and one in V2 and I totally have got my sound. Chords just grind away and solo's are clean and articulate. The Ge's are very quiet to, not alot of noise. Is there anything special about the GE tubes? I believe they are long plates. They sound and react totally different then any other tube I have tried in the V1 and V2 spots. I like them better then the RCA black plate.

I am in tone heaven. Playing is fun again. I am still looking into getting a set of 6CA7's when I have some extra coin because I think those will just be the iceing on the cake.

What a difference. :headbanger:
the ge's are clean sounding! sorry I meant the RCA regular plates

Last edited:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
This is Generation 1 of Condor. Different bass player and drummer. I didn't get along with the bass player. He liked playing wimpy shit. The drummer looked at our set list and said, "Yeah, I can handle it." After the first rehearsal, he told us he didn't know any of the songs. These two guys lasted for about a year. Then we moved on to Generation 2 (that I already posted) and then it became Generation 3, which I didn't like due to how many members there were and all the cry-baby shit and whining.

What does this have to do with Preamp Tubes? Absolutely nothing...but I'm posting it for JOE.

scan.jpg

We are in our cabin. We have played one night of a weekend gig. It is about 9 AM and we are already hitting the booze and the party favors. We partied all day and then went back to the cabin, showered, got dressed and went on stage for almost five hours. Rock and Roll, baby!!!:dude::rock::dude:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
ALAN,

I got the Matsushita 12AX7 slant getter tubes today and they are the bomb! Had a couple that are screamers, 30-32 and 35-35. The other three were very nice at 24-24, 25-24 and 25-26. I tried the 24-24 with the 30-32 and I have to say it moved me. I think I may have found something here. These are made on Mullard (Philips) equipment. The base of the tube flashes when turned on and the tube has a pinched top. What a bargain for some really great sounding tubes. I'd have to put this combo up against an Amperex and a high gain Amperex. I would have to say that the sound is that close.

I will post a picture of the slant getter Raytheon up against one of these.

I will be keeping my eyes open for more of these.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is Generation 1 of Condor. Different bass player and drummer. I didn't get along with the bass player. He liked playing wimpy shit. The drummer looked at our set list and said, "Yeah, I can handle it." After the first rehearsal, he told us he didn't know any of the songs. These two guys lasted for about a year. Then we moved on to Generation 2 (that I already posted) and then it became Generation 3, which I didn't like due to how many members there were and all the cry-baby shit and whining.

What does this have to do with Preamp Tubes? Absolutely nothing...but I'm posting it for JOE.

scan.jpg

We are in our cabin. We have played one night of a weekend gig. It is about 9 AM and we are already hitting the booze and the party favors. We partied all day and then went back to the cabin, showered, got dressed and went on stage for almost five hours. Rock and Roll, baby!!!:dude::rock::dude:

A little R&R before the R&R show!

I hate that whiny ass shit that happens but its like its inevitable. The guys I was with were really cool outside of a band context but that shit changes especially when Rock Star-itus rears it's ugly head. I just wanted to play! Couple of the guys had it bad hehe. I mean got really carried away. Broke the band up. Drummer got booted. Hated that. I left shortly after saying see ya! I did get to have some fun though before it got unfun!

wegman

Reaction score
Can one of you tube masters identify this tube for me? It's an RCA but what I am wondering is it an older one? It is labled Baldwin Pianos in white lettering but it has the octaganol 12AX7 symbol. I don't really care for how these sound and I am wondering why because the RCA's are supposed to be decent from what I have read.

Thanks

IMG_0294.jpg

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Can one of you tube masters identify this tube for me? It's an RCA but what I am wondering is it an older one? It is labled Baldwin Pianos in white lettering but it has the octaganol 12AX7 symbol. I don't really care for how these sound and I am wondering why because the RCA's are supposed to be decent from what I have read.

Thanks

View attachment 1557

Your picture won't enlarge. I can't tell anything from the little picture. Usually the Baldwins with white ink that were RCA's were good tubes. Look and see if you can locate a small group of letters and numbers. Do you see anything like 57,58,59,60 or 61? As I said to you before, the white RCA's were probably the original tubes. The orange/red logo RCA's were probably replacements. That means the white RCA's that you have might be worn out and that's why they don't sound so good. Just a hunch.

wegman

Reaction score
Your picture won't enlarge. I can't tell anything from the little picture. Usually the Baldwins with white ink that were RCA's were good tubes. Look and see if you can locate a small group of letters and numbers. Do you see anything like 57,58,59,60 or 61? As I said to you before, the white RCA's were probably the original tubes. The orange/red logo RCA's were probably replacements. That means the white RCA's that you have might be worn out and that's why they don't sound so good. Just a hunch.

The picture won't enlarge? :wtf:

I found several that say 58-52 and then 274 below that on them.

Does that help at all?

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
What??? You mean my mega computer system is malfunctioning??? Man the main sails, swab the deck, choke the parrot.

Okay, I'm back. That helps. Those were made the 52nd week (last week in a year) of 1958.

274 is RCA's EIA number.

They are probably worn out. This is why I suggested getting the tubes tested. Old organs are great, but sometimes they have worn out tubes or borderline one's. Until you find a tester, you can only guess at what you have.

wegman

Reaction score
What??? You mean my mega computer system is malfunctioning??? Man the main sails, swab the deck, choke the parrot.

Okay, I'm back. That helps. Those were made the 52nd week (last week in a year) of 1958.

274 is RCA's EIA number.

They are probably worn out. This is why I suggested getting the tubes tested. Old organs are great, but sometimes they have worn out tubes or borderline one's. Until you find a tester, you can only guess at what you have.

Thanks for the info Marty.

Yea the next closest tube tester I found is 52 miles away. The next closest after that I know of is sending them to you. :thumb:

I didn't expect to pull primo tubes out of this thing. I was hoping for something workable. I guess I will head down to GB (Green Bay Wi.) and get them tested. The cat down there said he will let me use his tube tester for no charge because a friend of mine does alot of business with him. I think I will do that this weekend. Like you said I will then know what I am working with.

It's only the Baldwin tubes that sound kind of lifeless and I thought they were supposed to be the best of the bunch so perhaps they are dead as you say.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd just send them to Marty. He'll do it for free, just pay shipping both ways which isn't much. Win/win if you ask me. I'd want to know but that's me...

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
ALAN,

I got the Matsushita 12AX7 slant getter tubes today and they are the bomb! Had a couple that are screamers, 30-32 and 35-35. The other three were very nice at 24-24, 25-24 and 25-26. I tried the 24-24 with the 30-32 and I have to say it moved me. I think I may have found something here. These are made on Mullard (Philips) equipment. The base of the tube flashes when turned on and the tube has a pinched top. What a bargain for some really great sounding tubes. I'd have to put this combo up against an Amperex and a high gain Amperex. I would have to say that the sound is that close.

I will post a picture of the slant getter Raytheon up against one of these.

I will be keeping my eyes open for more of these.

Sounds good! Let me know if you get a surplus of them - I might be interested in a single tube.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Man this is the longest page in the thread. Maybe after I post these pictures it will bump over to page 76.

As promised for the Ratt Man, here are pictures of the Raytheon Slant Getter that might be made by Valvo. Up next to it is one of the five Matsushita Slant Getters I bought. I've already tested two of them (see prior post). The Matsushita's were made on Mullard equipment and that is why the plate (holes) are like a Mullard and not like the Valvo. Also, the O Getter is fastened differently. Other than that, they are pretty close. Conlusion-The Raytheon is not a Japanese made tube. Probably made by Valvo or Miniwatt. Here are some beauty shots.

HPIM0886.jpg

HPIM0887.jpg

HPIM0888.jpg

All I can say is that if you ever get a chance to buy a Japanese tube, their quality was excellent. They have a reputation of being good copiers. Maybe that's a good thing. These tubes rock and I got them dirt cheap.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a bid in on some. We'll see what happens. And you say they flash, too. That's interesting. I found out awhile ago that Ei tubes will flash. Maybe we should keep a list. "Tubes that Flash". I wonder why the Telefunken won't?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a bid in on some. We'll see what happens. And you say they flash, too. That's interesting. I found out awhile ago that Ei tubes will flash. Maybe we should keep a list. "Tubes that Flash". I wonder why the Telefunken won't?

So far my RFT's and Mullard AT7 flash. Thought there was one more but I can't put my finger on it now...:hmm:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a smooth plate Telefunken in the Night Train. I emailed Vox about the order of the tubes in the NT and the answer is V1 & V2 from Left to right back row standing facing front are power tubes. V3 & V4 are the 12AX7's, V4 being the PI. I see alot of peeps think the order is the usual but it isn't according to Vox.

So I have right now the Russian NOS EL84's in the power section and a Tele in V3 & V4 is an RFT ECC83.

Again the Tele improved the tone. What I like about these is how the Tele effects soloing. The notes are right up front, round, articulate, warm/smooth but they also sing. The higher frequencies albeit smooth still let your notes scream/sing when you want.

Alot of times smoother or warmer can translate into duller and duller does not sing. Duller gets buried in the sound field. That's exactly what happens with JJ ECC83S's. Frigg'n duller-riffic.

Anyways...Tele win again especially for blues or rock oriented stuff. Marty I put the 24/24 smooth plate in. Noice!

Last edited:

Latest posts